Shure E500/E530 Cable Poll
Jul 26, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #136 of 391
Well a few weeks ago I voted "still good". Yesterday I discovered a crack on my left bud
frown.gif
, but I am not to worried, Shure is a great company.

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #138 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by turkishdelight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Second That.

To comment on sugarfried's posts....

We don't set out to make poor quality cables and products. If we could foresee the future and know that possibly a persons body complexion will interact with one component in the cable we would. But we can't.

We try our best, trust our suppliers, quality control, quality testing procedures, and at some point have to ship the product to the best of our knowledge with the best practices in place.

Luckily we highly monitor our returns, and have great communication between, customer service, service, and development, and can catch issues like this and react as quickly as possible.

To fix things the right way takes time and testing to assure you don't have to fix it again.

Rest assured. We have identified the problem and changed the cable and are closely monitoring it. Because warranty replacement always sends new product, it is a matter of time before the people who could have a problem will send in the product and receive a new product with the newer cable.

If you are one of those lucky winners, we apologize, and hope to make you a happy Shure owner listening to your tunes as quickly as possible.

As always, thanks for listening and commenting on our products. We do hear them and take them very seriously.

I'm sorry... but you have to do better than this...
I mean, I just got my phones (thank good there are companies as efficient as EMS... you pay a lot, but damn, you can see why!) and I'm in despair...

Why? ...well, I just got an older pair than the ones I sent to replace!!!!

This is wrong in so many ways... Because they are even older, so the cable is at most the same, they are gonna break for sure. after all I'm the lucky guy turkishdelight speaks about... so, I better schedule an EMS pick up again soon (and there goes enough money to buy a pair of d-Jays... AGAIN!!!)
...not to speak that, and this is my reasoning, this phones (2126 E500) have a older date of production than my first ones (2516 E500)... so this means that I just lost 39 days of warranty! ...if this keeps happening I'm gona loose my warranty period even faster!
plainface.gif

and, last but not least, I just got the shure representative lying...

There you go!

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #139 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenriques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...not to speak that, and this is my reasoning, this phones (2126 E500) have a older date of production than my first ones (2516 E500)... so this means that I just lost 39 days of warranty! ...if this keeps happening I'm gona loose my warranty period even faster!
plainface.gif

Sugarfried stated above that Shure will replace your phones if the cable splits, regardless of the warranty.

Quote:

Where did he lie? Are you referring to the comment that they always send out a new product for warranty claims? If so, are you saying the ones you got are used, repaired, or refurbished? I am sure they have a stock of new product on hand to send out in response to warranty claims and, eventually, that stock will turn over until it consists only of product with the new cables.

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #140 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did he lie? Are you referring to the comment that they always send out a new product for warranty claims? If so, are you saying the ones you got are used, repaired, or refurbished? I am sure they have a stock of new product on hand to send out in response to warranty claims and, eventually, that stock will turn over until it consists only of product with the new cables.

I think he did implied that the replacements would be the new versions:
"Rest assured. We have identified the problem and changed the cable and are closely monitoring it. Because warranty replacement always sends new product, it is a matter of time before the people who could have a problem will send in the product and receive a new product with the newer cable."

...I can agree with you that this might not mean that they will send the new version when they send you a new (read unused, unopened) replacement....

This just mean I'll have to spend time and money I don't know how many more times until shure sends me a pair of e500 that last more that 4 months...

Came on!!! Am I the only one that see this cable problem as a major let down??? and all this hassle as more than what I paid for?? (taking in account that I did pay a premium value for this phones...)

Are you such a shure lover's that you can't see past that?
...I also love the sound of this phones... but that doesn't mean I will close my eyes to any problem they have!

ok, I'm out.
Gonna enjoy my new old phones...
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #141 of 391
9 months for me....the cable has sort of taken on a memory cable status, in that it is curled where it goes around my ear. i listen to them every day to and from work, and on airplanes, etc.

considering dropping the UE-10 bomb though.....

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #142 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by AceOfWands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to end this thread for good: How can we tell the difference between the old cables and the new ones?

They are identical in appearance, so there isn't a way to tell the difference.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #143 of 391
Quote:

I'm sorry... but you have to do better than this...
I mean, I just got my phones (thank good there are companies as efficient as EMS... you pay a lot, but damn, you can see why!) and I'm in despair...

Why? ...well, I just got an older pair than the ones I sent to replace!!!!

This is wrong in so many ways... Because they are even older, so the cable is at most the same, they are gonna break for sure. after all I'm the lucky guy turkishdelight speaks about... so, I better schedule an EMS pick up again soon (and there goes enough money to buy a pair of d-Jays... AGAIN!!!)
plainface.gif

There you go!

First of all:

[size=large]YOU DID NOT LOSE ANY DAYS ON YOUR WARRANTY PERIOD.

THE WARRANTY IS VALID FROM DATE OF PURCHASE, NOT DATE CODE.

DATE CODES ARE USED ONLY WHEN A PROOF OF PURCHASE CANNOT BE FOUND, AND SOMEONE AS ASTUTE AS YOU MUST CERTAINLY KEEP PROOF OF PURCHASE.

ARE WE CLEAR ON THAT?

BECAUSE IF WE ARE I WILL MOVE TO MY NEXT (AND FAR MORE SERIOUS POINT) [/size]

You did NOT catch John (turkishdelight) lying. All you did was piss me off for even remotely suggesting that he lied.

He gave you the information that he believed to be true. Both John and I are in the US and we are not involved in service outside of the US, so most of the time when we try to help people we include things like: "In the US..." So the only thing that was innaccurate about John's post was that he did not make the "US-only" disclaimer.

John is one of the hardest working, most honest and sincere people that I know. I take serious offense to your accusation that he lied.

I'm truly sorry that the Shure product that you purchased failed on you. On top of that I am embarrassed that something I helped to design had a flaw like this. If you give us a chance we hope to keep you as a customer. If (God forbid) you have future problems with your replacement E500, don't hesitate to mention it if/when you have it looked at. While we can't replace the time without your earphones we can work with you to make sure that you are happy in the end.

Sorry if I come off as harsh in this post, but I know John and he will not "stir the pot" by defending himself and I was too mad to let it go.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #144 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenriques
I think you are absolutely correct! ...dumb of me...
Why should I think shure could do anything for me?

...they have my money already! (damn...they even have my phones right now!)

now seriously, I really think you are right because it's up to me, the small minority that are still conjuring what happens when shure simply reaches the quota of replacements they are gona send in my way, to decide what I can do.

...maybe, return this guys? (is this possible?)
...maybe sell them?

or maybe just accept this phones the way they are and start making the return schedule so it doesn't match any important dates of mine... and, well, when shure stop replacing them, just accept I spent $500 for a ephemeral phones... just like anything else, I guess...

Can always spend another $500 in a new pair! ...and start all this again!

...or maybe not...

There is NO QUOTA on how many times we will replace a product if it fails during the warranty period. Of course, the failure must be our fault (such as the hardening of cables).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenriques
P.S. do you guys know of any other IEMs that are as good as the e500 but with less drama on them?

How long have you been at Head-fi? Do you remember the E4 launch? The Super-fi 5 pro launch? The triple-fi launch? The current Westone 3 launch? Good is subjective, and many consider each of the products I just mentioned "good" and there was considerable drama with each of them. Perhaps at its $500 price the E500 is an easier target, but let's not forget that there has been loads of drama elsewhere too.

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #145 of 391
Quote:

Came on!!! Am I the only one that see this cable problem as a major let down??? and all this hassle as more than what I paid for?? (taking in account that I did pay a premium value for this phones...)

It is certainly true, as you say, that Shure has a problem, but I cannot agree with you that Shure's response to that problem has been a let down.

We are dealing with a large corporation. Yet, we have two of that corporation's representatives participating in this thread, answering all of our questions individually. The person who designed the product has taken personal responsibility for the problem. He has apologized personally to you. The company has identified the problem and corrected it. The company is providing replacements for the defective units without question, outside of the terms of its normal warranty (though that warranty is excellent in its own right).

I have already had to return my E500 once, and I had to return my E4s several times under warranty (for unrelated issues). It is very frustrating to be without an expensive product for a period of time because of a manufacturing defect. I have no doubt that Shure has taken a significant hit to its goodwill as a result of this issue. However, it seems eminently clear to me from this thread that Shure is doing everything in its power to rectify the situation. What more can you ask for?

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #146 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, it seems eminently clear to me from this thread that Shure is doing everything in its power to rectify the situation. What more can you ask for?

You summed it up nicely Febs. Thanks.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #147 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are identical in appearance, so there isn't a way to tell the difference.

If they are identical in appearance, can we tell by the manufacture date on the plug? That way we can look at our date/number and know whether or not our cables have the new compound.

Also, I again urge civility and respect on this thread, guys. I understand that passions are running high on all sides, but insulting and yelling at each other is counterproductive and only serves to derail any legitimate attempts to move forward with investigating/addressing this problem (see above).

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #148 of 391
Can I ask a tangential question to the Shure guys, since there're here now?

Is there a way to custom order lengths of the detachable cable for the e5xx? I find my myself using the really short cable with my Nano, and it would reach my pocket if it were about a foot longer... There's something elegant about the Nano and e500s that makes me want to avoid a ball of extra cable.

PS: I'd be happy to pay a bit of premium for this.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #149 of 391
i have nothing really to contribute here, but I just want to thank the members and especially sugarfried/turkishdelight for their responses on this problem. I am very interested in purchasing a E500, despite the price... its gotten nothing but great reviews aside from this cable breaking situation.

The support of sugarfried/turkishdelight to at least acknowledge the problem and state that they'd even be willing to replace the chords outside of the warranty I think is everything a customer would want to hear. The company could easily push it off and ignore it... such as Altec Lansing is doing with the iM716 filter replacement unavailability and their push to still sell the product.

My hats off to the members and Shure for their customer service, you'll get my sale. I'm just not sure where to purchase from, I'd like to be ensured of purchasing a 'new cabled' product, but from the responses it seems as though that is not possible to determine yet.

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #150 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan
If they are identical in appearance, can we tell by the manufacture date on the plug? That way we can look at our date/number and know whether or not our cables have the new compound.

No, we can't. I'm afraid that the best I can do to respond to this question is again state that any and all products with this failure mode will be replaced. Period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan
Also, I again urge civility and respect on this thread, guys. I understand that passions are running high on all sides, but insulting and yelling at each other is counterproductive and only serves to derail any legitimate attempts to move forward with investigating/addressing this problem (see above).

I have no problem responding to questions pertaining to my products. I do it all the time. It's only when people are insulted that I get mad.

Bash my products all you want. I've been here over four years and I have no expectation of that stopping. But the accusation that my colleague lied is unacceptable. I don't know what portion of your comment was directed at me (I can only assume that I was included in your comment), but I stand by what I said: I'm still offended by that accusation. Far too many people see these threads to let that go without directly responding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back