Shure E500 Attenuator Question
Feb 11, 2007 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

shoenberg3

100+ Head-Fier
Without the attenuator (not using PTH either), my Shure creates so much hiss. With the attenuator, the hiss can be (almost) eliminated. At what level should I set the attenuator at? I heard it could negatively affect the sound quality.

On a different note, do you know when those olive black foamies are going to be sold?

edit:
For some reason:Computer or iaudio X5 through Bithead, there is hiss. Also directly from computer jack, there is hiss. But there is no hiss through the headphone out on the X5... This is without the attenuator.

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason:Computer or iaudio X5 through Bithead, there is hiss. Also directly from computer jack, there is hiss. But there is no hiss through the headphone out on the X5... This is without the attenuator.

Looks to me like the Bithead is introducing most of the hiss. A resistor will essentially do what the Shure attenuator is doing, turning the wheel changes the resistance although two matched resistors may be more accurate and stable for any fixed resistance setting. If you don't want to look at a new amp, I'd just try and find a happy spot on the attenuator personally. Otherwise it might be worth looking for an amp with a low noise floor although it would seem you'll still get hiss when using your computer as a source anyway. On my work rig consisting of an iPod 4G, Xin SuperMacro IV and E500s the hiss is virtually non-existant.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 17
The hiss is usually from the source, its just whether their cans are sensitive enough to pick it up. The attenuator has 2 250ohm resistors inline. I find it too bulky for me so I simply use a short length of cable with 2 75ohm resistors.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 17
Get an amp to eliminate the hiss.
With the Tomahawk , the hiss is gone.
By using the attenuator ,I think it affects the SQ in a bad way.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 17
any of ray's amps would work great. They all have a very black noise floor. I own the sr-71 and couldn't be happier with it. I would suggest looking in the for sale forum till one comes up. The only problem with the sr-71 is that it doesn't have a dc power in put. It's batteries only.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for the replies.
Would getting a decent amp like RSA Hornet eliminate hiss on both the DAP and computer?

Yep. Its a completely black background for me. The Hornet also gets rid of that treble rolloff...so you might as well kill two birds with one stone.
cool.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. Its a completely black background for me. The Hornet also gets rid of that treble rolloff...so you might as well kill two birds with one stone.
cool.gif

True I expect. My SuperMacro needed opamp rolling to do the same.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for the replies.
Would getting a decent amp like RSA Hornet eliminate hiss on both the DAP and computer?

If the computer is generating hiss then there may not be a lot you can do about it other than attenuation with resistors, etc. I'd certainly expect the DAP to have no hiss through the line out though if there's no hiss through the headphone jack.

Feb 12, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the computer is generating hiss then there may not be a lot you can do about it other than attenuation with resistors, etc. I'd certainly expect the DAP to have no hiss through the line out though if there's no hiss through the headphone jack.

Is it normal for computers to emit hiss? Is it because of soundcard? Or case?

Feb 12, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Is it normal for computers to emit hiss? Is it because of soundcard? Or case?

Well computers tend to have lots of parts that give off noise. Clocks, data moving through busses at high frequency, varying power drain as drives activate, etc all tend to add noise in the power circuity. Digital circuitry is resistant to all of this noise so it's not something particularly important to a computer designer in general. If you are using an analog output then the signal will be corrupted to a degree by any noise in the power circuity since that's what's flowing through the in-built DAC. Internal soundcards are no different since they are powered via the motherboard but they may perform filtering and they will often be designed to give they best sound they can given an unclean power source. USB soundcards also tend to take their power from the computer giving them much the same potential problems.

Edit: Computer power supplies are not always that nice and noise-free to begin with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back