Shure E5 vs. UM2
Apr 16, 2005 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Soundbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few questions for those of you who have tried both the Shure E5 and the Westone UM2....

I have read in many threads that the Shure E5's have a more rolled off high end, and the UM2's have a flatter frequency response, but I have been able to address this issue with my E5's by adjusting EQ settings on my player, so it doesn't concern me much. I am very happy with the sound quality of my Shure E5's.

Here are some questions on other issues, though:

1. How does the UM2 compare to the E5 with cord microphonics?

I have found the E5 is quite microphonic...you really have to immobolize the cord or you will hear thumping, brushing sounds, etc. as the cord moves and touches things...particularly the upper part of the cord near the IEM's.

2. How long is the UM2 cord? The Shure E5 is about five feet which is slightly too long IMO for portable use but still workable.

3. Aside from differences in emphasis in frequency response, how is sound quality with the UM2 vs. the E5? Is one more musical, detailed, or analytical compared to the other; does one have better soundstaging or imaging etc. in general?

I may want to try a UM2 at some point but would like to know more about it first.

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 26
You could try feeding the E5 cords through paracord or tech flex to protect it from the elements. For the paracord, you'll have to reterminate, but then you can make the cord shorter at the same time
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 26
i own the um2, also a californian here. i can only compare it to the ety er4p but the cord is MUCH less microphonic. cord is 4 feet, not long.

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 26
I am coming from the er6 and the cord and microphonics are definantly a plus. The only thing I can hear with the um2 cord is the soft thud of my feet while walking outside.

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 26
I once tried the ER-4p and the ER-6 and returned them because they were way too microphonic for any kind of physical activity. Also, I didn't like how the ER-4P's stick too far out of your ears, making it difficult to lay your head on a pillow sideways.

But I'm still wondering if the UM2 cord is more or less microphonic than the Shure E5 cord? Is there anyone here who has both who can answer this?

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundbuff
But I'm still wondering if the UM2 cord is more or less microphonic than the Shure E5 cord? Is there anyone here who has both who can answer this?

Occlusion is more of a problem with the E5 than with the UM-2, and so is cable noise.

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Occlusion is more of a problem with the E5 than with the UM-2

It seems to me occlusion is directly related to isolation, so given the same tips this should not be the case?

jesse

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
It seems to me occlusion is directly related to isolation, so given the same tips this should not be the case?

jesse

Interestingly enough, when I walk around with the E5s, it is done with the yellow foamies, which are less dense than the Westone Comply tips, and by a significant amount. One would think that the tighter coupling created by the Westones would result in louder footsteps, but in my personal experience, reality has proven to be the opposite.

I do not enjoy the E5s as much when using the Comply tips so I could not tell you how they compare when both fitted using the same tips.

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Interestingly enough, when I walk around with the E5s, it is done with the yellow foamies, which are less dense than the Westone Comply tips, and by a significant amount. One would think that the tighter coupling created by the Westones would result in louder footsteps, but in my personal experience, reality has proven to be the opposite.

I do not enjoy the E5s as much when using the Comply tips so I could not tell you how they compare when both fitted using the same tips.

The Westone tips probably isolate more then. There's not really any point in stating things about occlusion without such qualifiers if you haven't actually tested with the same tips. Even if my theory about isolation is incorrect, the same tips should have the same occlusion, regardless of what peculiar characteristics (density, isolation, shape etc) are responsible for the effect.

jesse

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

The Westone tips probably isolate more then. There's not really any point in stating things about occlusion without such qualifiers if you haven't actually tested with the same tips. Even if my theory about isolation is incorrect, the same tips should have the same occlusion, regardless of what peculiar characteristics (density, isolation, shape etc) are responsible for the effect.

jesse

I just swapped the foamies out for Comply tips on the E5s and walked around the parking lot outside. Footsteps are still more noticeable on the E5s.

I think you are forgetting that the E5s and UM-2s are shaped differently, sit in the ear differently, and have cables that are designed differently (the E5 has a heavier cable with inner wire which then secures atop the pinna).

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

I just swapped the foamies out for Comply tips on the E5s and walked around the parking lot outside. Footsteps are still more noticeable on the E5s.

I think you are forgetting that the E5s and UM-2s are shaped differently, sit in the ear differently, and have cables that are designed differently (the E5 has a heavier cable with inner wire which then secures atop the pinna).

True enough. I think I'm lost in theoretical land where microphonics don't contribute to occlusion t_t

jesse

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

True enough. I think I'm lost in theoretical land where microphonics don't contribute to occlusion t_t

jesse

I was careful not to use the word "microphonics" for a reason.

If you read this post made by a Shure representative, you will see why.

I quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
For a while now I have watched/participated in conversations here, and I continuously see the word microphonics used improperly. No canalphones suffer from microphonics. Microphonics are when outside noise is picked up electronically and introduced into the signal, which ultimately comes out of the transducers. Certain types of power amplifiers (especially tube) are microphonic. You can stand in front of them and yell, or tap on it, and the sound comes out of your speakers.

Given this, I simply assumed after reading the OP's description of "thumps" and "brushing sounds" that what the OP referred to as microphonics was in actuality cable noise and occlusion.

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 26
Mm, yes I've read that before but it strikes me as silly semantics... Microphonics seems like an apt name for cable noise, so I use that. When I think of occlusion, I think of hearing footsteps/jaw movements etc... Except that mechanically they work pretty much the same, and one can contribute to the other.

jesse

Apr 17, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 26
I tend to believe microphonics and occlusion are different and not directly related to each other. Occlusion is the sound of motion and other body noises being heard at an unnaturally high level through the IEM's (footsteps, eating potato chips, etc.) while microphonics is the sound heard when the cord touches objects or brushes up against them.

Occlusion is probably tip-dependent, not brand dependent. You would probably get the same occlusion effect using an Ety tip on a shure, or on a UM2, in other words, the tip would have the same occlusion effect no matter what you used it with. Occlusion is probably related to how tight the tip seals - the more airtight the seal, the more occlusion.

Microphonics ("cable noise") are different. This effect would vary from brand to brand and some cords would transmit more noise more than others when touched or moved, depending on how the cord is engineered.

Edit: after reading the comments from the Shure rep, I should substitute the term "cable noise" where I have previously used the term "microphonics".

Apr 17, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundbuff
Occlusion is probably tip-dependent, not brand dependent. You would probably get the same occlusion effect using an Ety tip on a shure, or on a UM2, in other words, the tip would have the same occlusion effect no matter what you used it with. Occlusion is probably related to how tight the tip seals - the more airtight the seal, the more occlusion.

IMO, this would be true if the tips were all that contacted your ears. However, because there are differences in both housing and cable design, the amount of vibrations translated to your ears will vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back