Shure E5 vs. UE5c vs. "UE5pro" Mini-Review/Impressions
Jul 2, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #16 of 24
John Reeves -- Sounds like an awesome rig! I'm gettting the Ipod aux adaptor put in on July 15 and I will PM you once I get to hear how it sounds!

Wolfen -- From your description, it sounds like the UE5c are not as "forward" in the midzone as the UE5Pro. Plus there isn't the relative sense of some vocals receding while others are more pronounced. To hump or not to hump, that is the question!
icon10.gif

Again, I can't tell you how relieved I am that you are happy with your purchase!

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
...I actually bought a BMW 330 ix to go with my Ipod yesterday! ...I think I may be among the first to accessorize my Ipod with a BMW!! Whaaaha!
icon10.gif

Now there's someone who takes his iPod seriously!
biggrin.gif
...glad to see you have your priorities straight
biggrin.gif
Good luck with the new wheels RP!

Wolfen - thanks for answering my questions. Thank goodness my wallet is empty or I'd be contemplating yet another 'upgrade' ... maybe down the road but not now.

This whole custom earphone, buy sight unseen (er, sound unheard?), no chance for resale, no returns - frankly this just scares me too much especially when used for entertainment purposes paired with my iPod. I'll have to up my disposable income a bit before I jump in.

I still can't believe I bought E5s (from a general cost point of view, not from a regretted purchase point of view - I'm still happy with them). When I first came to head-fi I contemplated Ety's for a brief moment and thought I'd never be that serious about sound. Who would spend that kind of money on headphones after all - boy what a long and strange journey it's been and how my perspective has changed!

Jul 3, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #18 of 24
I now have about seven hours of listening on these. I thought they sounded great at the outset...but I am noticing some brain/ear acclimation going on. They are just seeming to sound better and better. My appreciation of the bass is increasing, and I'm finding a few songs where I'm hearing things I've never heard before.

I'm also happy because these are small enough to fit in my old E3 "case" (a plastic electrical tape cannister). I believe they would fit no problem in a stock E3/E5 carrying case.

I've decided the cord on these headphones is a thing of beauty. Light, slick, braided...very elegant compared to others I've had. It doesn't even smell like a box of band-aids like the E5 cord did
smily_headphones1.gif

The memory wire is also well designed. I have found however, that if your an eyeglass wearer, there's some potential of microphonics with the neck of the glasses rubbing on the short memory wire. Otherwise, microphonics is minimal to none.

I'm starting to despair at the thought of sending these in again for a final fitting.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
The memory wire is also well designed. I have found however, that if your an eyeglass wearer, there's some potential of microphonics with the neck of the glasses rubbing on the short memory wire. Otherwise, microphonics is minimal to none.

Good observation.. I found the plug itself being more of a problem than the memory wire. They rub against my glass frames and squeaks... really, really annoying.

Jul 3, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Hi Lindrone,

Try some lubrication to get rid of the squeaking, I find after a few shots of scotch or tequila the music takes over. LOL

John

LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
I've decided the cord on these headphones is a thing of beauty. Light, slick, braided...very elegant compared to others I've had. It doesn't even smell like a box of band-aids like the E5 cord did
smily_headphones1.gif

yes the smelly, auto-tangling E5 cord is a pain! Thanks for identifying that smell...I knew it smelled familiar but could never quite put my finger on it until now
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear that you are enjoying these phones.

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmt1
We'll have to ask Jerry about the differences between the UE5C without the notch filter and UE5PR0--I don't think they are equivalent (and shouldnt' be, for the difference in price). Even with the notch filter out of the UE5C, the frequency response curve won't be identical--the low frequency driver on the UE5c, at least according to the frequency response curve, appears to be tuned to deliver more bass. Plus, looking at the pictures of the UE5C and UE5PRO, it looks like the housing unit of the UE5PRO is larger--more along the lines of the UE10 and UE7 than the UE5's.

dmt1...you are right. I spoke with Jerry Harvey again. I don't know what happened originally (obviously a miscommunication somehow), but the UE5c without the notch filter is NOT a UE5pro. The UE5pro has a slightly different passive crossover and one of the speakers is a different model. I apologize to anyone that was misled by my "review". I have edited the original post to read accurately.

From what Jerry Harvey said today, the UE5c will now come stock without the notch filter. If you're in the market, it would probably be best to ask at the time of purchase to confirm this.

Jul 7, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 24
This means that my "humpless" UE5c is a collector's item!!!!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back