Shure E5 vs. UE5c vs. "UE5pro" Mini-Review/Impressions
Jul 2, 2004 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
The following is not a thorough analysis...but is provided as a courtesy to several members that have requested that I provide some information as soon as I am able. There are some imperfections in my comparisons...I will point these out where I am aware of them.

I owned E5's during a 30 day trial period. My impressions of them were much as some other members have stated. They reproduced that full sound, and had plenty of bass, but I found them congested and the bass seemed muffled. The highs just didn't reach out to me like I had hoped. They were a huge step up from E3's, and I could have lived with them happily if there were no other options. I ultimately sent them back, but took lots of notes on their performance in my normal test regime.

Concurrently, the debate was beginning to brew on head-fi regarding custom IEM's. Initially skeptical, I considered the ramifications of going to a custom IEM. It then occurred to me that I have spent hundreds of dollars moving up the upgrade ladder...and even with recovering some costs by selling used hardware, I decided a drastic decision to go "all the way" may be the remedy.

I called Ultimate Ears and discussed my needs with the Harveys. For portable use and a sound trouncing (pun intended) of the Shure E5's, they suggested the $550 UE5c's. After some additional research, I got my impressions from a local audiologist and sent them off.

About 10 days later, I recieved my UE5c's. They really strike the beholder as an amazing piece of technology. I ordered the clear option, and you can see all the neat gadgets inside. Additionally, I have a short last name, and per my request, my entire last name is stamped in red and blue on the two ear assemblies....overall, a real conversation piece.

I plugged in the UE5c's, and in short, was very disappointed. They sounded terrible to my ears. Muffled, no highs, and very flat sounding. No point in detailed analysis or more comparisons later in this review.

Astounded, I called UE and spoke with Jerry Harvey, one of the principal founders and designers. We discussed some fit issues I may be having (I have very narrow ear canals). He requested that I return the UE5c's for a fit adjustment. Additionally, he requested that I trial the refitted UE5c with the resistor circuit removed. Though he preferred the circuit in place himself (which reduces the mid-high frequency hump), he was beginning to believe that some indiviuals coming from Ety's/Shures would prefer this configuration. I'll refer to this configuration as a UE5c w/no NF for "notch filter".

Upon receiving the UE5c w/no NF, I put them through my usual song list and here are my impressions:

These earpieces are now a completely different animal. I am now hearing what I believe is being described by other reviewers. Is the change due to fit differences? I don't know, but the earpieces still feel very similar to the original fitting. In fact, I probably need to send them off one more time for a minor improvement in the isolation. My best guess is that the majority of the difference is due to whatever electronics UE decided to change.

After many hours of listening, I can confidently say that the UE5c w/no NF are vastly superior to the E5's. I experienced a "mini-wow" when the music started. They sound sharper and more detailed than E5's. The bass is about 1/3 - 1/4 less than E5's, but is much more defined. They are very forward, even when compared to the E5's, E3's, and SR225's that I'm acclimated to. The mids are beautiful. The highs are also superior, but they do fall short of my SR225's (to my minor disappointment). However, the fact that I've mentally begun comparing them to my SR225's as opposed to other canalphones is a telling statement in and of itself. Generally, I would describe the presentation as somewhat detailed and warm.

The "sensitivity" noise I hear on my Archos DAP is somewhat less than what I heard with the E5's (to my tremendous relief). Interestingly, with Shure canalphones, they always seemed to sound better to me the louder I took them. With these UE5c w/no NF, I don't experience this phenomena. Their presentation seems consistent at all volume levels.

I heard the following in my test songs (mp3 VBR 210 kbps from an Archos JBR20, and redbook cd from a Yamaha 630 reciever/Panasonic DVD player):

Neko Case's "Furnace Room Lullabies"-I use this song to test a headphone's high frequency and detail potential. It's a high, haunting female vocal that will reach into your guts with the right equipment. The UE5c w/no NF rendered it very nicely. Everything seemed balanced and the detail I was used to with SR225's was pretty much there. However, the highs fell just a little short of my expectations.

AFI's "Ever and a Day" - Wait a minute something's different here. The standalone male vocals sound great. Then the background portion kicks in and it sounds further away than usual. It doesn't ruin the song by any means, but it's noticeable. It's like the background singers are just a couple of feet further away at the edge of a cave. This "recession phenomena" pops it's head once in awhile in different tracks.

Trashmen "Surfin Bird" - An old tune just to see how an older recording sounds. Vocals sound great "bird is the word"...but the recession of everything else is very noticeable on this track.

Urge Overkill "Sister Havana"- Typical rock with all the good stuff. Rendered perfectly.

Styx "Renegade" - I only use the first 30 seconds of this song. I've noticed that some headphones do not accurately represent the "heartbeat" in the background at the beginning of the song. On some, this bass note sounds like a tap. On the SR225's and the UE5c w/no NF, this bass note has a mild but firm punch. A++ here for a canalphone.

Johnny Cash "Heart of Gold" and "A Singer of Songs"-Every song I listened to off of the J. Cash "Unearthed" collection sounded unbelievable. The male vocals are wonderfully forward and detailed. The folky background guitar is awesome...a real treat.

Tori Amos "Leather"- This track sounded a little warmer and less detailed to me than it's presented by my SR225's.

Joe Satriani "Borg Sex"- Even though this song has a lot of different level stuff coming at you, it sounded pretty good on the UE's if a little warm. Overall balance seemed spot on.

I've learned that the UE5c w/no NF are indeed impressive if slightly unpredictable. I have a lot more to learn about these, but they are very satisfying after Shure E5's. From the second I put them on, I began appreciating what I was hearing....no acclimation period required. The recessed background on some tracks is there, but does not ruin the experience. I'm getting a minor twinge that the UE5c w/no NF are revealing some of the shortcomings of my Archos unit...but I haven't been able to put my finger on this yet. For some reason, the UE5c w/no NF generally sounded poorer out of my Yamaha receiver. My SR225's are more tolerant of the Yamaha's headphone jack.

If money is not the concern, I've found that the UE5c w/no NF strengths outweigh the E5's strengths. Comfort is excellent. Insertion is easy....a quarter twist backward to insert, a quarter twist forward to remove. For me, the extra level of clarity is a major victory. The UE5c w/no NF falls just short of the SR225, but not by much....an amazing achievement.

Jul 2, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 24
Nice job! Now, while I am glad to have the UE10s, I wonder if I would have liked the UE5cs with the adjustment. I have to say that I prefer the UE10s to any headphone I've owned for all types of music. Seems like someone better test the "UE5pro" to the UE10 now!
Thanks wolfen! Great review!
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 24
Very nice review Wolfen.

Since 2 variables were changed, I'm wondering what really contributed to the significant change in sonics - fit or electronics?

Are you going to keep them as is or try them out with the resistor circuit back in?

Are you satisfied with them now and are they truly worth the extra coin over the E5s to you?

Can you also please clarify one statement you made, namely, "They are very forward, even when compared to the E5's, E3's, and SR225's that I'm acclimated to."

What exactly is very forward? Which part of the spectrum or is everything more forward in comparison?

Jul 2, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 24
YAY for Wolfen68! I am so glad you like your UE-5 PRO! This is certainly exciting news about a new UE product! Do take the time to sit down and think about writing a formal review to be added to the review archive in the coming weeks.

Jul 2, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 24
So peculiar.. this makes me think that there's something strangely wrong with UE5c's original design.

Given that UE5-Pro is $700, and UE5c is $550... basically you just got a pretty pricey, free upgrade? Err...

Doesn't make any sense for UE to put out a product like that, does it? Did they mention any other difference between UE5c and UE5-Pro?

Jul 2, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
After many hours of listening, I can confidently say that the "UE5pro's" are vastly superior to the E5's. I experienced a "mini-wow" when the music started. They sound sharper and more detailed than E5's. The bass is about 1/3 - 1/4 less than E5's, but is much more defined. They are very forward, even when compared to the E5's, E3's, and SR225's that I'm acclimated to. The mids are beautiful. The highs are also superior, but they do fall short of my SR225's (to my minor disappointment). However, the fact that I've mentally begun comparing them to my SR225's as opposed to other canalphones is a telling statement in and of itself. Generally, I would describe the presentation as somewhat detailed and warm.

First, thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts about the UE-5. My biggest question (since I own the Shure E5c) revolves around whether the UE-5pro's are worth the additional $200.00 over the Shure phones? Based on your comparisons what do you think?

Jul 2, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 24
Wolfen -- All I can say is, Thank God! I was beginning to think I needed to enter the witness protection plan for having recommended the UE5c!

As for questions about fit vs circuitry I suspect much of this was due to the fit issue/canal shape of the first pair -- Wolfen's description of his "UE5Pro" pretty much jives with my experience of the UE5c. The hump difference may be relatively minor, in any case. (for that matter, maybe I have the hump already? Who knows?
icon10.gif
) All I can say is I love them.

lindrone -- We've been told there is no difference other than the hump circuitry between the UE5c and the UE5Pro. In other words, they are equalized differently, presumably the c version more for Ipod use; the Pro for professional/live performance use. As for the price difference well you have the soft option for the UE5Pro -- perhaps allowing for that accomodation is more expensive, etc. It could also be that they repriced the UE5c in order to get more business volume. (They certainly would not be the first company to do this -- many many companies do this, usually in the other direction -- tweaking an existing product, and positioning it in a more expensive direction to a different segment. I am a marketing pro of many years duration and I've done this sort of thing myself!
cool.gif
)

Anyway I am SOO happy that you like the UE5 whatevers! At $550, they may well be the Ultimate accessory for the Ipod!

Except for one thing -- I actually bought a BMW 330 ix to go with my Ipod yesterday! Well, yes, there were other considertions to be sure, but I've already got my parts order in for the Ipod/steering wheel control adaptor kit, which I am getting the week of July 12. I think I may be among the first to accessorize my Ipod with a BMW!! Whaaaha!
icon10.gif

Ultimate Ears, Ultimate Driving machine -- what could be next? Ultimate Frisbee?

Have fun with your UE5s this weekend!

Jul 2, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 24
Its nice to finally read about members liking the UE5cs. When I got mine, I was blown away by the sound. I found it very strange that some members were less than satisfied. Again, it is hard to say if it is fit related or filter related why some members didn't like the UE5cs

EDIT: After reading about the UE10s bass, I am definitely glad I went with the UE5cs.

Jul 2, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 24
We'll have to ask Jerry about the differences between the UE5C without the notch filter and UE5PR0--I don't think they are equivalent (and shouldnt' be, for the difference in price). Even with the notch filter out of the UE5C, the frequency response curve won't be identical--the low frequency driver on the UE5c, at least according to the frequency response curve, appears to be tuned to deliver more bass. Plus, looking at the pictures of the UE5C and UE5PRO, it looks like the housing unit of the UE5PRO is larger--more along the lines of the UE10 and UE7 than the UE5's.

I'm really thinking of going with the UE5C without the filter, after Wolfen's info, and PM's from Phil.

Thanks for the info Wolfen!! And it appears Randomperson may be vindicated after all...
icon10.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 24
dmti -- Thank you so much!!! I was really worried there for quite a while!!
And yes I really do think you will love them.

downingp-- It's nice to know we're no longer alone out there, isn't it?
icon10.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
Very nice review Wolfen.

Since 2 variables were changed, I'm wondering what really contributed to the significant change in sonics - fit or electronics?

Are you going to keep them as is or try them out with the resistor circuit back in?

Are you satisfied with them now and are they truly worth the extra coin over the E5s to you?

Can you also please clarify one statement you made, namely, "They are very forward, even when compared to the E5's, E3's, and SR225's that I'm acclimated to."

What exactly is very forward? Which part of the spectrum or is everything more forward in comparison?

Yes, the fit/circuit change does indeed create two variables. If UE wants to pursue this comparison, then I would obviously have to hear the circuit installed in the UE5 again.

To answer a couple of questions (maybe THE question)....I am extremely pleased that I spent the extra $200 over the Shure E5's. That overwhelming bass the muddles up everybody's impressions of the E5 initially is not a problem at all with the "UE5pros". Everything sounded good from the first couple minutes of listening. The highs are somewhat better, but the real upgrade is the presentation of detail. I find it very refreshing after E5's (and remember, I liked the E5's).

As far as what is forward....I'm not an acoustic engineer than can quote frequency ranges...but I would describe the forwardness in this way: They strangely take some main vocals and guitar chords and push them WAYYY forward. I would guess this is exactly the mid-high frequency hump that UE was hoping to suppress. The effect on some songs is stellar (the simpler ones). On some other more complex songs, it gives a sense that some other stuff is being pulled farther away. Maybe it's an illusion because of the few sounds being brought to the forefront.

After sleeping on my observations...I really think Lindone hit it right on his UE10pro review (though I haven't read it a second time yet to compare closer). I think I'm hearing what he described. It's hard to miss as it's pretty obvious...but again, it doesn't ruin the experience overall for me personally.

And Plainsong, as far as your post, it's nice to see that the Finnish can maintain that healthy blind optimism against all odds
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 24
Hey Random Person,

Cool wheels. I've got a 330i Sport, engine management re-programmed to get rid of the limiter and give me an extra 15 BHP. I've ordered a cassette thingy and power cable for my Zen Xtra - should be with me Monday.

If it sounds good I'm gonna get an auxiliary input fitted.

Cheers

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back