Shure E5 Hiss
Nov 8, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Hopefully you won't find that "horrible mid-bass hump".. hehee.. because I really don't know that JB1's talking about... maybe I just don't hear it (or can't identify it.. heheh)...

Lindrone, AdamZuf had stated in some of his other posts that he disliked the ER-4Ps due to a perceived mid-bass hump. Since the Shures have a more pronounced bass than the Etys, I was just making a (slightly smartass
evil_smiley.gif
) remark that he would surely dislike the Shures even more.

I'm not slamming the Shures. You already know I feel there's so much variation in people's response to these phones that whatever works for you is just great!

Nov 8, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #17 of 28
if the shures has more bass, then it is not more likely to percieve a hump. at least not an annoying one, that results from the proportion of that frequency area next to the lower registers.
the curve will be percieved as more linear (yes, i know the etys have a linear bass.. but come on guys..), though not horizontal, that's at least my assumption. we'll see.

Nov 8, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 28
LOL.. thanks for clearing that up guys.. I just really didn't know what a mid-bass hump sounds like.. or what it's supposed to be. Through the explanations, I think I am at least aware of what it's supposed to be now..
smily_headphones1.gif

To answer Murasame's questions.. I've used the E5c directly out of a D-25S and an iPod... I don't have any other portables to compare with. Out of either one of these sources, there's been no hiss whatsoever.

It's only coming out from certain amps where I hear the hiss, or various other artifacts.

Adam, I ordered the tri-flange tips directly from Shure's website...

Nov 9, 2003 at 8:40 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
LOL.. thanks for clearing that up guys.. I just really didn't know what a mid-bass hump sounds like.. or what it's supposed to be. Through the explanations, I think I am at least aware of what it's supposed to be now..
smily_headphones1.gif

midbass hump can do a "wwwww" effect to music, create a big hall-like environment, make pianos and flutes heavier, and all sorts of other things, it depends on a certain hump of a certain product to say.

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 28
Ok lets get this straightened out. A mid range "hump" is where the mids are more pronounced than the highs and base? Thats what ive got in my head after reading all this. Please correct me if im wrong.

Btw i'm looking to buy some shure E5c's, the warmth and punchy base is what attracted them to me the most
smily_headphones1.gif
I get the impressionm that the ety's are too flat....... we'lls ee,

Mina.

Feb 17, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #22 of 28
Anyone allready used the 120 ohm adaptor on there shure e5.If so,do they do the trick?

Feb 17, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #23 of 28
Adding a 120 ohm resistance will lower the volume of everything, not just white noise. So you will need to increase the volume and the hiss will return. Lowering the gain seems to help more with hisses.

If you do buy it try it both before and after your amp.

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoop
Hi, I'm more of a lurker around here, but I thought I'd pass along a useful discovery: you can eliminate the hiss by using the 120-ohm adapter from Meier Audio.

I didn't see this on Meier's website. Do you know where i can get one?

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I was asking the same thing three months ago and I still haven't found it...guess my searching skills need improvement...

My searching is usually successfull, so I wouldn't blame myself.

My backup plan - I ordered a nice soldering iron so I can make these things myself. After hearing that the ETY resistor cable is about $50, I figured it was about time do do some experiments myself.

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #27 of 28
Ah "The Hiss" seems to be a very, very common problem with e5c's. Fortunately, I find that the headphone out on my ipod is sufficiently quiet (of noise) to prevent the hiss from really being noticeable. Out of my computer on the other hand (poor source,) the shures sound really really hissy. It's almost unbearable.

Anyone able to give a second opinion yet about adding an in-line resistor? Maybe somone could just take a p-s adapter and plug that in with their e5c's and see if their is any result.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindrone

Heh.. did you end up getting an E5c because of me?.. I feel almost like I've caused some sort of mass "falling"... like.. responsible for burning a hole in other people's wallet..

Lindrone, you were probably the biggest reason as to why I got my e5c's during the summer. I am very very happy for them, but the hole in my wallet is kind of a pain in the ass
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #28 of 28
I don't think the adaptor is on their website, but they still offer it. Write them an e-mail asking about a 120-ohm resistance adaptor for headphones and they will give you ordering info...I know because I tried it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back