Shure E5 Hiss
Nov 6, 2003 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

snoop

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm more of a lurker around here, but I thought I'd pass along a useful discovery: you can eliminate the hiss by using the 120-ohm adapter from Meier Audio.

Nov 6, 2003 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 28
thank you for the discovery.
smily_headphones1.gif

the hiss is the main problem in my ring, and the headphones are useless with it.
maybe i will try...

plugsmall.jpg

Nov 6, 2003 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 28
why shouls headphones hiss? it's in your source or amp, i bet.

until now, this adapter had somewhat negative influence on all of my phones, to some degree. i only use it when i use a certain tube in my EMP, no more.
change resistance, change frequency response.

i hope to report about this back once i get my shures.
btw, thanks lindrone for your review
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
i hope to report about this back once i get my shures.
btw, thanks lindrone for your review
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh.. did you end up getting an E5c because of me?.. I feel almost like I've caused some sort of mass "falling"... like.. responsible for burning a hole in other people's wallet..

It's.. a strange sensation.. heheh
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 28
yeah, that stuff happens after you do a review
biggrin.gif

it's just that..my ety's don't give me the satisfation for their price. i don't mind going higher for in ear phones, as long as they operate well in different situation and feeding gear.

remind me what's the difference between the E5c to E5?
i didn't get them yet.

Nov 8, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 28
AdamZuf, you're getting Shures?! I thought you were a diehard Ety man!

Well, if you think the ER-4P has a 'horrible mid-bass hump', then you're going to hate the Shures.

Be sure and let us know what you think, as if you need any encouragement to do that.

Nov 8, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 28
The primary difference between the E5 and E5C is packaging.

E5 - Comes in a large plastic flip-lid container (Murasane posted pics in a different thread), that I suspect is intended to also house the remote transmitter a stage musician would use. There's also a velvet carrying pouch. The box is nice for general use; I like it.

E5C - Comes in a groovy metallic presentation box (see Lindrone's review), and the clamshell-shaped zipper case for porting (minus the center winding post).

I kept hearing about an in-line attenuator, which my E5s did not come with. I called Shure, and it seems this gizmo comes with the E5C only. I had to have the phone rep read the Web page to confirm that this is part of the E5C package. Although limited in application, I ended up ordering one for $4.99. Was ordering the triflange tips anyway.

I believe this the above to be accurate, but I'm sure someone will correct accordingly…

Dave

Nov 8, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
yeah, that stuff happens after you do a review
biggrin.gif

it's just that..my ety's don't give me the satisfation for their price. i don't mind going higher for in ear phones, as long as they operate well in different situation and feeding gear.

remind me what's the difference between the E5c to E5?
i didn't get them yet.

Hopefully you won't find that "horrible mid-bass hump".. hehee.. because I really don't know that JB1's talking about... maybe I just don't hear it (or can't identify it.. heheh)...

Either way.. E5 comes in a much uglier packaging than the E5c... that's pretty much all the difference..

Murasame got an E5 instead of a E5c... it doesn't have a cool carrying "spool" type of pouch (it's not a real spool, just a cool circular shaped pouch), it comes with a "bag" type of pouch instead. I'm not sure if the E5 package comes with the tri-flange sleeves, but you definitely have to get that to evaluate the E5 properly. It is not a part of the E5c package.

Nov 8, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by drp
I kept hearing about an in-line attenuator, which my E5s did not come with. I called Shure, and it seems this gizmo comes with the E5C only. I had to have the phone rep read the Web page to confirm that this is part of the E5C package. Although limited in application, I ended up ordering one for $4.99. Was ordering the triflange tips anyway.

I believe this the above to be accurate, but I'm sure someone will correct accordingly…

Dave

You are correct, the in-line attenuator of questionable quality is a part of the package.. (lol.. "questionable quality").. It changes the sound characteristic a bit when you use it.

The good thing is, if you're plugging straight into a line-out (no other choice at the time), you can use this "volume control" (that's what it really is, for those of you who doesn't want the fancy words) to lower the volume level so you don't blow your ears out.

Nov 8, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 28
The E5 does not come with the triflange tips; reason for ordering a pair. I can't wait to hear the difference.

The velvet pouch is actually nice if carrying your phones in a shirt pocket (plus they don't need to be wound as tightly). For all else, I have to vote for the clamshell. I "borrowed" the clamshell from my gf's E2s, just to compare….. They fit, but I imagine much better sans the winding post. Wonder if she'll pull the same stunt with my E5s ("Just comparing, honey, catch me next week").

Nov 8, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by JB1
AdamZuf, you're getting Shures?! I thought you were a diehard Ety man!

Well, if you think the ER-4P has a 'horrible mid-bass hump', then you're going to hate the Shures.

Be sure and let us know what you think, as if you need any encouragement to do that.

i'm a diehard ety man where they deserve the respect. unfortunatly, i have many music types that they don't perform as good as i would like my portable headphones to perform - especially because portables don't have a great sound quality.
the midbass hump of the ety's ain't horrible because it's big - it's horrible because of its nature and propotions towards other parts of the frequency spectrum (*cough* bass *cough*) in many recordings.
i'm not afraid of the shures - i have sonys with a nice midbass hump which i adore (the sonys, not the hump
tongue.gif
).. and currently building my system around.
i want the perfect second pair. let's try the shures.

so what... if i want some foamies for them (for a meet, so others can audition) and silicons for me (you say they don't come with any), where can i get both?

by the time that i can post impressions on them, i'll be in new zealand travelling.. but i'll try to log in from guesthouses and post reviews. i'll have many hours of listening outdoors (car plug->inverter->home rig) with a peaceful mind to do that.
maybe i'll keep my etys for now, in order to do a comparative review.... yes...nice...helpful :)

Nov 8, 2003 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Murasame,
In what way does the hiss make it useless?

(I have an NJB3 and several META42's with different gains)

the hiss is definitively present in my ring (meta42).
the sound become less pure and accuracy is veiled because covered in background with it.
i listen it without music too of course as soon as i plug them.

it's very very annoying. can't bear it.

and if i plug E5 directly in my philips cd player, the hiss is much more present than in my meta. (but my portable is a little old so i think it's not an issue. ask lindrone if he had hiss in portable units.)

it's the second major reason for me to sold my E5. (the first is unbalanced sound IMO)

the adapter can be the solution, i don't know...

good luck for futur E5's owners
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back