Shure E4g vs UE Super.fi 5 Pro
Apr 9, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bandit390
Shure E4g = $299

Super.fi 5 pro = $156

I say go for the Super.fi 5 pro.

Where can you get the Super.fi 5 pro for $156 (particularly black)?

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 31
Pretty sure Super.fi 5 Pros are now around $200USD. It was at $150 when Earphonesolutions had that mail-in rebate going on, but that was February. And you can get E4s at American Techpushers for $180USD shipped, and it's a pretty reputable dealer. In any case, I find the regular E4 cable to be just the right length, can't imagine the E4g cable being a bit shorter to fit my needs.

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 31
I don't know specifics, but would recommend you check both Todd and HeadRoom for prices on phones.

I have both E4c and and the Super Fi-s. You should be aware that the E4c is more likely to be a comfortable fit. Super Fis are good, but I find the wide tip to be uncomfortable and very hard to get a good seal with. If they fit you, they are excellent (as are the Shures) and have more bass than the Shures.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #19 of 31
thats great that cables can be replaced for the super fi's but the fact that i've RMAed twice now for cracked housing has me looking to the e4's simply for build quality..the e3's i had from 2 years ago handle "abuse" very well since they work great and i occasionally didn't even use the case..the super fi's cracked within a month and they were treated like royalty go with the e4's unless u really need the bass

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
In my total honest opinion, UE is the way to go for you. 5 Pro was made to be unamped, yet has plenty of hard-hitting bass sexy mids, and really good highs. This is my kind of sound sig for playing games like CS:S or Oblivion.

Shure E4(g) has one fine-tuned port, unlike the 5 Pro , which has dual-drivers. E4's bass is "not there" enough for many without the need for an amp. E4(g) has extraordinary treble however.

Overall, the 5 Pro's sound sig fits your bill for sure; I cannot say how much you will enjoy them. I'll bet the next person's life who posts below me that you will be satisfied with them.
icon10.gif

Heehee, now nobody will want to post here.

Totally agree with you on the UE SF 5 Pros. I find them to be the best IEMs I have listened to. At some point I may step up into the UE 5's or 10's but for now for a couple a hundred bucks, they are the perfect pair for my 5G IPOD.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mas9055
Haha. Is this Mucknuggle from GFF? Capo, here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried the Shures before, and they sound great, by the way.

You guys are here? Lol, it's a small internet after all.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
With all of this talk about bass, does the E4g like, not have any?

The E4 has very good bass. It does get even better with an amp, but with the 5th gen iPod it sounds very good even without an amp. Honestly, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. I have both, and enjoy them both. For the record, I use the E4 a lot more than the Super.Fi though.

What is it that's keeping you from selecting one or the other?

Apr 10, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The E4 has very good bass. It does get even better with an amp, but with the 5th gen iPod it sounds very good even without an amp. Honestly, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. I have both, and enjoy them both. For the record, I use the E4 a lot more than the Super.Fi though.

What is it that's keeping you from selecting one or the other?

Well, people were telling me that the E4 has bad bass, but you're review said that it was very balanced. Anyhow, I'm going to pick up the Shure's now. If I don't like them, I'll just have to pay a lot to get them returned.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #25 of 31
Like many, I am trying to decide between the UE 5 Pro and the Shure E4 - for the type of music I listen to (mostly classic rock and 60s/70s) I would think that the UE 5 pro might be better sounding; however, I would put comfort level and ease of use on the same level as sound quality. Therefore, for those of you that have tried both - would you say that one is more comfortable and easier to use than the other or are they just about the same? While perhaps neither are made for jogging - which one stands a better chance of staying in the ear (with only miniaml adjustments)?

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Well, people were telling me that the E4 has bad bass, but you're review said that it was very balanced. Anyhow, I'm going to pick up the Shure's now. If I don't like them, I'll just have to pay a lot to get them returned.

I'm pretty confident that you will like them. It's too bad you can't audition before you buy since everyone's experience is a little different. I do highly recommend using the foam sleeves with the E4. I feel that they give vastly superior performance to the rest of the included sleeves.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I do highly recommend using the foam sleeves with the E4. I feel that they give vastly superior performance to the rest of the included sleeves.

I just posted about this on another thread. I could not agree with you more! The foam sleeves saved my e4 experience, since I was considering whether I should return them after trying the triple flange, flex and soft flex sleeves with terrible to slightly dissappointing results.

Since I've been using the foam sleeves, I haven't noticed any real lack of bass, although there are a few tracks that I've activated the EQ for to make the bass a little punchier.

All I know is that if you're listening to ambient electronic, I can't imagine an IEM sounding much better than what I've experienced so far listening to Autechre's "Amber" and Forma Tadre's "Automate". It also produced some nice bass lines with more faster stuff by Photek, Massive Attack, Skinny Puppy, Trans Am, Suicide Commando, Ladytron, Covenant, and so on. I listened to EPMD, Talib Kweli and RZA on the hip hop side, and while I wouldn't say the bass was MASSIVE, it still had impact and definition.

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by scatteredshadows
I just posted about this on another thread. I could not agree with you more! The foam sleeves saved my e4 experience, since I was considering whether I should return them after trying the triple flange, flex and soft flex sleeves with terrible to slightly dissappointing results.

I'm also an E4c fan (which I purchased for $145 back in Sep 2005 after a $30 instant rebate), and I suppose I'll have to try the foamies after all. I've been using the small, gray soft-flex ones (I have small ear canals), and I don't have any complaints with the sound, but since so many say the foamies are the best, I can't ignore that any longer.

I got the E4c's as an upgrade from my KSC50's, and what a difference! The bass is incredibly tight and punchy, and I hear details in the midrange that I never heard with the KSC50's. If a headphone makes me want to listen to my entire music collection again, then I know it was a great purchase, and the E4c's definitely do that. The HD595's I received just a week ago are doing the same thing.

[size=xx-small]Portable: EAC w/LAME 3.96.1 -aps -> Zen Xtra 40GB -> PA2V2 -> Shure E4c
Home: cheapo Pioneer DVD/CD player -> Sony DA50ES receiver -> Sennheiser HD595 (to replace 20-year-old AKG 240M)
Gaming: SoundBlaster Audigy line-out -> ancient Akai receiver -> Koss Porta Pros[/size]

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #30 of 31
crap, i soooo split over e4c's or sf5pros. i have an ipod nano (no amp), listen to mostly hiphop, alternative, country, rap and rock. want something that sounds clear and with decent bass. ive got sony mdr-ex71's right now and one of the wires is starting to split...so time to upgrade
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back