Shure E4C vs Head-Direct RE2 vs ???
Jan 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mesomorph

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I'm new around here but am an active forum member of the german HIFI-Forum. So, you could say, that I have some knowledge, regarding headphones or earbuds.
I can get my hands on pretty much new, but used Shure E4Cs. Seen some pics and they really look brandnew. they are 1,5years old, there is no proof of purchase and they were used 7-8 times. The price would be 120€ incl. shipping (which is right now ~160$)
The RE2s would be shipped at 59$ plus i would probably get hit with taxes and customs fees. which would leave me with pretty much ~59$ + (20%=12$) + 10$ = 81$
No my question is:
I really want to spend little money on my new earbuds/IEMs, since i dont have the money for that right now for personal reasons...
Is the Shure E4C worth the up-price?
I need crisp and punchy Bass (not tooo much though), decent mids and nice and clear highs (i dont really neeed the "sparkle"-i just like to listen to classic and lounge after a hard workout to come down-that should not sound dull)
Bass is pretty important, since my main musik is Electronica, which goes as far as trash-electronica/progressive-style or sometimes Dub and often Dancehall.
other than that my bandwidth of music I listen to, is pretty much everything, that either has a nice melody or a punchy beat, that makes you dance instantly or if its just catchy.
- Why the "vs ???" ? well, do you know any other IEM/Earbud, that i should deifinitely take a look at or concider to buy?
There is no question, if I should buy a new one. my last two ones were stolen and broke. i am basicly stuck with my HD280Pro for my mobile use(which involves subway and busses
frown.gif
) and that thing is huuuuge. dont wanna look like a neird...
Anyway, I need to know this, because those E4Cs look promising. but is [edit]80$[/edit] up worth it?
Any typing mistakes are excused
biggrin.gif
I'm german...
cheers
Jan
btw: great forum you got here guys...v been a huge help so far. just by reading all the stuff and the reviews. like it
atsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 20
Any chance you can get Senn IEMs for cheap? I know they're cheaper in some parts of Europe but I'm not too sure about Germany.

Also, you can try the F/S forums here for the SCL4s since you can probably get them cheaper than 160 USD.

But to answer your question, I would definitely say that the SCLs are worth the extra $50. I've owned SCLs for about 3 months and the RE2s for about 6, and 9 out of 10 times I find myself grabbing the SCL4s just for their superior fit and sound quality.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 20
I certainly have a chance to get my hand on some Senn IEMs pretty cheap. around ebay there used-price is pretty much as-low-as-can-be.
the CX xxx Models I could get for 16€ (cx300~20$) or 30€(cx500~37,50$). But there are the IE Models (from 6-8?,correct me if Im wrong)
Dont know what the pricetag is on them. will take a look.
which one were you thinking about? the IE6 or the CX500? since I dont see, how the CX300 are anywhere near as good as RE2 or E4C...
PS: I didnt calculate right. its almost 80$ up, not 50$. If i dont get hit with taxes and custom fees I would end up with 100$up...So, still worth the extra charge?

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 20
CX95, should be suitable and not going to break the bank, you prob dont want to buy sennheisers off ebay though lots of fakes floating about it Sennheiser Worldwide: Microphones, Headphones and Wireless Systems bad enough for them to mentioned on thier own website

the IE models are the next ones up from the CX95, just depends on how much you want to spend really

welcome to head fi and sorry about the wallet
atsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 20
yeah, money is a bitch, really
Will take the CX95s into consideration. They are better than RE2s?
I thought, the CX-models would be Senns Sportline. guess i was wrong. so, ebay is out
wink.gif
thanks for the advice

I just saw a lot of people complaining about the bad fit-kit and the uncomfortable and hard shell of the CX95s. The RE2s win there.
I can get the CX95 from 95$. RE2s win there too.
Senns IE 4 I could get for ~100$. They look nicer and seem to fit better

Do bad recordings sound bad with a E4C, cause I listen to them with a variety of mp3, some of em converted badly and some of em converted really good,HQ-like.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 20
You could also try for some portable headphones, like AKG K518DJ / LE (I prefer the LE because of the shorter cord), ATH-SJ5 or ON3, or the Yamaha RH-5ma. I think it is hard to get good IEMs under $100. However, you should check out the FS forums for the white SCL4s (E4C), or post a WTB thread there. People in the US have bought them for $80 recently because they have been discontinued.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 20
if you really want cheep but cheerful the old cx300 is v good for the money

having a look on amazon.de they way expensive for sennheisers, you may be lots better to buy from the uk and ship them over

lol, novelty, the uk is cheaper than else where for stuff

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also try for some portable headphones, like AKG K518DJ

I owned them. Okay, but not near as good as my Senn HD280Pro.
Dont know the rest of them, will take a look at them, but since this is an IEM,earbud,earphone-forum, i guess its not supposed to be discussed in here?

the CX300 are way too bassy. heard them today at MediaMarkt (guess its the same as BestBuy) the CX500 are a lot clearer, but they both have (cx500=slightly) recessed mids and are quite bassy. Not, what I am looking for. Sound of the HD280Pros is nice. I guess Im looking for somewhat of a monitor-sounding earbud/IEM. No coloured sound, just a reproduction. I want a natural sound and not what i.e. Koss is doing with the MV-1. god, thats so hard to discribe...dont really know how to say it any better in english, sry guys. still hope, that it helps

So, since I really need a pair of In-Ears. I do have portable Headphones. I just dont use him for their sound is not good enough, or satisfying enough.
The question is: Shure E4Cs(i will look into the FT/FS-Forum and post a WTB) or the RE2s. remember: value/money is an important point
wink.gif

Thanks, aprreciate all the replies

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 20
trying to get my hand on a pair...we ll see. If I can get my hands easy on some RE2s (within europe,customs) i might buy them. but if not, i will keep looking for the E4Cs/SCL4s. Hope, they are as good as you guys say.
cheers

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 20
SCL4's are good when you can get them cheap, but I don't think they're worth the full retail price of $180 or however much they go for.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 20
I can get them for around 100-110$. The RE2+extra Foams+FiiO E3 i could get for 50$ or inside Europe for 70$, which cuts out customs and taxes and I could clear warranty issues within Europe (faster)...
I find the "lacks in Bass-segment" a little annoying. I like bass a lot in my music, but i should not be overwhelming. for reasons unknown i really liked the Aurvanas over the Metro.Fi 200s.
So, final question: Shure SCL4/SCL3 (new) or RE2+amp (100$/85$ vs 50$)
thanks

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SCL4's are good when you can get them cheap, but I don't think they're worth the full retail price of $180 or however much they go for.

The retail for the (well used to be at least) is $299.99...they go for around $70-$80 now on street.

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mesomorph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can get them for around 100-110$. The RE2+extra Foams+FiiO E3 i could get for 50$ or inside Europe for 70$, which cuts out customs and taxes and I could clear warranty issues within Europe (faster)...
I find the "lacks in Bass-segment" a little annoying. I like bass a lot in my music, but i should not be overwhelming. for reasons unknown i really liked the Aurvanas over the Metro.Fi 200s.
So, final question: Shure SCL4/SCL3 (new) or RE2+amp (100$/85$ vs 50$)
thanks

I have owned an RE2 and own an RE0.
I loved RE2s quite a lot.
With the white soft bi-flanges I get a perfect fit and I can go 24 hrs with it, i.e very comfortable.

I loved the instrument seperation, soundstage, clean output of RE2s.
The Bass is a little less but very tight. But other factor more than madeup for it.

When I purchased RE0s I upgraded from E3 to E5 (by paying the difference).
I like the form factor, Bass ON/OFF Switch and rechargeablity of E5.

I would say RE2s with E5 would be very good combination considering it gives Bass Boost as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back