Shure E4C--> Super.fi 5 Pro upgrade worthwhile?
Sep 23, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 42
First off, it's "Piccolo".

Secondly, the real question is when the heck did I ever even mention the ER4s any time in this thread? Or the E530s for that matter? You were the one who brought them up in the first place, completely unprovoked no less! The OP asked for thoughts concerning the E4 and SF5P, and I've given mine.

Third, graphs are an important visual tool and are very useful for illustrating and making points. I certainly will not stop using them because you disapprove.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, it's "Piccolo".

Secondly, the real question is when the heck did I ever even mention the ER4s any time in this thread? Or the E530s for that matter? You were the one who brought them up in the first place, completely unprovoked no less! The OP asked for thoughts concerning the E4 and SF5P, and I've given mine.

Third, graphs are an important visual tool and are very useful for illustrating and making points. I certainly will not stop using them because you disapprove.

Because you base all your IEM opinions on charts and graphs and people don't give a crap about that. It is no secret that ER-4S is your reference IEM and you use charts and graphs to diminish the merits of all others. I'm trying to give the OP some perspective.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you base all your IEM opinions on charts and graphs and people don't give a crap about that. It is no secret that ER-4S is your reference IEM and you use charts and graphs to diminish the merits of all others. I'm trying to give the OP some perspective.

No, what I think you're doing is being aggressive and purposefully starting trouble. If you've got a bone to pick with me, come out and say it. Drop the passive aggressive trolling crap. You're the one who started this without any provocation whatsoever, and I don't appreciate it at all. Now, let's get a few things straight:

I do not, nor have I ever based my opinions about IEMs on graphs. My opinions are based on what I have heard while listening to the IEMs in question. In other words, I use my ears, not graphs. If I there is a particular IEM I haven't heard, I can infer how it may sound based on similarities its FR graph has to other graphs of IEMs that I have heard. There is nothing wrong with this.

As I said in my previous post, I use graphs as a visual tool to aid my point. I used the 5 Pro graph to illustrate what I was referring to when I said there was a deep suckout in the upper midrange. Using such visual tools in combination with a description of the sound helps to increase understanding. Furthermore, I have the right to my opinion. You say I am diminishing the merits of the 5 Pro, but to me, they are not merits at all, they are faults. Some people may feel differently. Different people have different opinions and in the end it balances out and by reading everyone's opinion, they reader can get a balanced picture and make a decision for himself.

Now, concerning the ER4s, I haven't used my ER4s "straight" in months. I use them heavily equalized, so what I am listening to really isn't an ER4 at all, but something entirely different that happens to have the ER4's form factor. I had grown dissatisfied with the way they sounded, and saw fit to transform them into something more euphonic sounding. If you had ever bothered to click the very prominent link in my sig, you would know this by now. The ER4s are not my reference IEM. I created my own reference IEM based on how I think things should sound.

Is that good enough for you? Or do I need to continue?

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 42
That chart doesn't diminish my opinion of either one... the SF5Ps are somewhat tuned for bass. They're meant to be UE's midline headphone for people just listening to music, which largely features the stupidly bassy songs of today, which they specifically cater to with the SF5EBs. Yes, the E4Cs stay closer to neutral, you could emulate the sound of either using the other with an equalizer, excepting the 19000-20000 hZ range that the E4Cs don't hit, if you can even hear that.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEM opinions on charts and graphs and people don't give a crap about that.

That's certainly true for me. I'd much rather trust my ears than look to a graph to 'choose' my headphones. Mind you, I can see a graph could be useful in the absence of any user reviews, as at least there'd be something to go on.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #21 of 42
I would say, buy all of them, listen to each one over the course of a week or two, and keep those you like. Then sell off the rest. That worked for me. Just a little painful to the wallet for the short term until you sell it off.
I fully agree that music is for enjoyment and not for critiqing as a sound engineer! If not I'd be working as one and being paid instead of paying to listen to music!

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #22 of 42
For what it's worth, I've owned the ER4, E4C, and 5pros and for me the 5pros provided the most enjoyment. They had the widest soundstage, the best bass response without EQ or amplification, and were the most comfortable. They also didn't posess the distracting microphonics of the ER4s. For me, they weren't a "drastic downgrade". Perhaps that means I have "undeveloped ears or just plain poor taste". Whatever.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Perhaps that means I have "undeveloped ears or just plain poor taste". Whatever.

Either that, or you just didn't see the winking smiley in my post... sarcasm is difficult to communicate over the internet...

You don't think I actually believe that, do you?

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 42
Hey guys, thanks for the insight, and ya, I'm not even listening to a CD quality source here (APX encoded MP3) so I don't get much out of comparing frequency response graphs on equipment.

The Super 5s are intriguing, unfortunately no CompUSA near me has them in stock at $99, and even if they did it would be the white ones (trying to get away from white).

I might just snap up a used pair from a fellow head-fi'er in the for sale forums.

Any other recommendations for Shure E4c competitors in the $150'ish range that provide sound isolation?

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Either that, or you just didn't see the winking smiley in my post... sarcasm is difficult to communicate over the internet...

You don't think I actually believe that, do you?

I'm not sure whether you believe it or not actually (it IS hard to infer from a post). I can definitely understand why an ER4 lover (which I'd wager you are judging from your .sig) would hate the SuperFi and vice versa. Mamboman's advice is excellent - buy 'em all keep the one you like. Only way to be sure...

Drew

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

No, what I think you're doing is being aggressive and purposefully starting trouble. If you've got a bone to pick with me, come out and say it. Drop the passive aggressive trolling crap. You're the one who started this without any provocation whatsoever, and I don't appreciate it at all. Now, let's get a few things straight:

Huh?? I am trying to help the OP!!! While this forum is about opinions, saying SFP is a "drastic downgrade" to E4 is erroneous info and I guarantee ALL those that have owned both would agree. That was the key point of my rebuttal. If someone posts erroneous info I may challenge it to possibly save someone from spending 100's of dollars needlessly. Chill out!!

As a side note they'd be more apt describe SFP's as bright, not muffled. A CX-300 or a SF-EB sounds muffled but certainly not a SFP. Jeez...listen to what you are saying before you type.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #27 of 42

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #28 of 42
It's fair for Picoollo to not agree but the way he's responding is exactly like a troll. You can just ignore him..

I've owned a pair of altec lansing im716 (similar to ety er4) and now I have a pair of super.fi 5 pros. I TOTALLY enjoy the super.fi 5 pros a LOT more. If you have a bassy amp and are at home the er4 is probably fine but when you're anywhere that's not perfectly quiet the bass is way too soft/inaudible (for my tastes atleast)

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #30 of 42
To the OP: I think you shouldn't sell your E4c before getting the sf5pro. You seems pretty ok with your E4c for 2 years, I suppose you only have minor complaints on their SQ..

You say you want a warmer sound? I'm not sure if the sf5pro sounds warmer than an E4c. It is bassier but I think sf5pro treble is at least as apparent as an e4c. They are also less comfortable and doesn't have E4c's likeable mids. I found the sf5pro a decent fun-sounding IEM but doesn't really give that wow effect of that from E4c and ER4.

You might want to look into the Atrio M5 for warm sound at similar price. I think it's even bassier than the sf5pro and the treble is pushed back a bit. Many people like it but be cautious that it might sound too warm and bassy to you.

You should also consider upgrading (to e500, triple fi, etc) since there is quite a big possibility IMO that a sidegrade will not last long to satisfy you
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back