Shure E4 Appreciation Thread
Mar 5, 2006 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, I'm no huge audiophile but I am astounded by these things. I got the grey ones. Love the red and blue "dots" to signify left and right and the grey is fairly neutral when contrasting against your head/hair color.

I cannot believe the separation of instruments on recordings!!! Sometimes the soundstage is so far left or right that I think I have a problem with the IEM's but then a snare will come in just left of center and I will realize that I am sitting in an orchestra hall. How in the hell can engineers make a product where the sound is drilled straight into your head through your ears yet there is separation like you are sitting in a concert hall?

Coming off of E2's I have learned to hate "foamie" tips but after screwing around with the "personal fit" that Shure provides you with, there is no question that the "foamies" are the "best sound" and the most comfortable. So I'll deal with the yellow tips...it actually look s pretty good with the grey (the peach color of E2's is hideous).

I wish I could have tried Ety's ER4P's but with all due respect to Ety fans, to me, the "highs" with the Shures are as pristine as I could ever want them. Any more would be too shrill or bright.

Anyway, I love my Shure E4's.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 20
I've been using grey E4's for about 6 months now and they still impress me with a high quality recording.

For a long time I was using modified triple flange but just recently switched to the foamies. I intend to stay with the foamies. To me they have a smoother sound...I need to get a supply of them.

You didn't mention what your source is. I've recently switched from using a Sony MD player(w/PA2v2) to a Zen Vision:M. The SQ with the ZVM is so much better then the MDP that using the amp is not a must.

Have you ever listened with crossfeed?

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 20
had my e4g's for about 5 days now. i wasn't all that impressed at first but they grew on me pretty quickly. you're right about the separation, and what i really like is the little details, stuff in the backround that previously went unnoticed. and holy cow do they block alot of outside noise. seems mine could have a slight problem though, in the left side. on high guitar notes i seem to get a kind of wall of sound, or distortion, as most of the music i listen to has guitar coming in on the left. maybe its the bitrate of the songs, or maybe i just have the volume too loud. still, i like them enough to recommend for anyone in the market.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 20
Got mine last week. I regreted selling my Etys last year, so I thought I'd give the Shure's a go. Love em.
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 20
Just spending my first couple hours with the E4c right now (Jimi and Band of Gypsies rockin' right now). I started my IEM journey about five years ago with the original Sony EX-70. When those broke, I went with the Ety ER6i. Thought those were good, but felt the midrange was hollow/lifeless, and the whole sound was bumped into the treble range with very little separation.

Now to the E4... I think the separation and more 3-dimensional presentation makes these a much more engaging canalphone. The bass response is hardly improved over the ER6i, but the whole midrange/high-end dynamic is a big step up. I really like the E4, plain 'n' simple. These are going to be my work horse until I get my hands on the E500 this summer.

As for whether the upgrade was worth the price? Since these were "gifted" to me free of charge, I'm not the best judge.
icon10.gif
For simple budget reasons, my short answer is "no." Long answer: save up and make these your first purchase.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
Crap, makes me wanna get the E4 instead of the E3 now.

If you haven't bought the E3 yet I recommend waiting on the E4...you won't be sorry that you spent the extra $$$.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 20
I need to upgrade from er6i eventually. Ety er4p or Shure E4C?!! cannot decide!!!
etysmile.gif
I'll have to ask my wallet...

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 20
I have the Shure E4, Ety ER-4S, and the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro.

Out of the three, the E4 is my favorite.

My wife like the Super.Fi 5 Pro the best (mainly because it's the most comfortable for her.)

So, for portable listening, the E4 is my primary one. Well, until the E500's come along.....
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 20
I have never tried the E3s with the PA2v2, but I occasionally use my E4c with it. The PA2v2 brings out the bottom end a bit more, and projects a richer sound.

However, without the amp, the lower end is still here, I wouldn't be too concerned about the bass. (That is if you are not a basshead
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I tried using all the tips, and I agree with some in here. Foamies do provide the smoothest sound and isolation, but must be inserted properly to matain a balanced sound. (Maybe I just have weird ears)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back