shure E2C vs. etymotic er-6(i)
Nov 3, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 19
The E2c is cheaper if you can find one used.

It depends all on your preferences.
If you like some bass, choose the E2c. Kramer-mod it if you want a much better sound.

If you like highs and details, choose the Ety's.

Just to tell you that the Shure is MUCH more durable.

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 19
Some things to consider in making your decision:

The Etymotics are tiny and lower-profile, and the Shures will seem huge by comparison (think of the relative difference between a sports car and an SUV). To generalize, the Etymotics might be an acquired taste -- something you have to get used to and grow into, while the E2s tend to be a "starter" IEM -- something you might grow out of if you keep reading these forums and spending more money.

The Etymotics will provide excellent isolation and lots of detail, and the Shures will have a lot of bass. (The ER6i is easier to drive and has more bass than the ER6. The ER6i comes in white or black.)

The earphone wires on the Shures are intended to loop up over the ear -- this helps secure the earphone in your ear, and it should cut down on the microphonics through the cords. The ultralight cords on the Etys aren't intended to loop over the ears; there would be some microphonics.

The Etymotics will seem neutral to trebly, while you might find the bassy sound of the Shures "fun" (or you might miss the highs -- depends on your preferences). The Ety's might sound "thin," to you, particulalry at first and on older recordings, but they convey a fair amount of bass on bass-heavy "modern" recordings. If you must have lots of bass, the Shures might be for you; if you must have clarity, the ER6i's might be for you.

The Etymotics will seem frail by comparison -- if you handle your gear carefully, shouldn't be an issue, though. (I find they make for a good minimalist set-up ... they're really light and small.) The Shures will certainly seem sturdier, but check past threads -- I've read some complaints about the build, particularly the cords. Both companies are supposed to have excellent customer service, so that's a good thing. I think Shure's warranty is longer.

Altec Lansing makes Etymotics-derived IEMs that cost a bit more than the ER6i's, but Head-Fi members have said some good things about them. Also, there's an increasing number of canal phone competitors to the E2s that you might look into, if you haven't already. Finally, the player you would use them with and the type of music you listen to would also be factors in making your decision.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 19
I had a er6i and loved them. The first couple of times I used them I didnt really like the sound but after you have listend a few times and get used to the detail they are amazing.
But my cable did die on me after 9 months, but this is bedcouse I always pulled out my ety's with the cable instead of pulling the thing itself.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Some things to consider in making your decision:

The Etymotics are tiny and lower-profile, and the Shures will seem huge by comparison (think of the relative difference between a sports car and an SUV). To generalize, the Etymotics might be an acquired taste -- something you have to get used to and grow into, while the E2s tend to be a "starter" IEM -- something you might grow out of if you keep reading these forums and spending more money.

The Etymotics will provide excellent isolation and lots of detail, and the Shures will have a lot of bass. (The ER6i is easier to drive and has more bass than the ER6. The ER6i comes in white or black.)

The earphone wires on the Shures are intended to loop up over the ear -- this helps secure the earphone in your ear, and it should cut down on the microphonics through the cords. The ultralight cords on the Etys aren't intended to loop over the ears; there would be some microphonics.

The Etymotics will seem neutral to trebly, while you might find the bassy sound of the Shures "fun" (or you might miss the highs -- depends on your preferences). The Ety's might sound "thin," to you, particulalry at first and on older recordings, but they convey a fair amount of bass on bass-heavy "modern" recordings. If you must have lots of bass, the Shures might be for you; if you must have clarity, the ER6i's might be for you.

The Etymotics will seem frail by comparison -- if you handle your gear carefully, shouldn't be an issue, though. (I find they make for a good minimalist set-up ... they're really light and small.) The Shures will certainly seem sturdier, but check past threads -- I've read some complaints about the build, particularly the cords. Both companies are supposed to have excellent customer service, so that's a good thing. I think Shure's warranty is longer.

Altec Lansing makes Etymotics-derived IEMs that cost a bit more than the ER6i's, but Head-Fi members have said some good things about them. Also, there's an increasing number of canal phone competitors to the E2s that you might look into, if you haven't already. Finally, the player you would use them with and the type of music you listen to would also be factors in making your decision.

good summary, I completely agree.

And if you want a sound that's between ER6i and E2C, look into Super.Fi 3 or UM1.

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 19
thanks a bunch for the help. so shure = more bass, ety = "clearer" sound. i think i might go with the etytomics, they are a bit cheaper it looks like. still any more thoughts would be great

in case it helps, i am going to be using it with my creative zen touch. i listen to mostly metal, but sometimes i put on some more ambient stuff (if it matters, i guess i'd get ones that are more geared towards metal/rock). i have a pair of sennheiser hd 555s that i use for my computer, i love them

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 19
To be fair, the Etymotic sound isn't that bass deficient. It's there; it's just a bit less than you're used to.

The Shure E2C is definitely a lot more fun, though.

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac
also, it may be possible that the bass-complainers of the etymotics are not inserting them properly.

I'd guess that people tend to prefer the one that fits their own ear canals the best (I have the Ety and like them).

Nov 4, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 19
still having a hard time choosing. etys seem more comfortable and offer a lot better sound isolation, and maybe the bass thing won't be such a big deal.

right now i use sennheiser mx500s for traveling (they cost like $15 on amazon) and i'm pretty content with those. so either way i'll probably be happy. as long as the etymotics are not less bassy than the mx500s, ill be satisfied. still, the shure e2cs bass advantage has me puzzled

lets say i get the etymotics (from amazon) and i don't like them, are they usually returnable (under what conditions)?

Nov 4, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by exphy
I had a er6i and loved them. The first couple of times I used them I didnt really like the sound but after you have listend a few times and get used to the detail they are amazing.
But my cable did die on me after 9 months, but this is bedcouse I always pulled out my ety's with the cable instead of pulling the thing itself.

Ill just pretend I didn't read that you used to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back