shure e2c--> super.fi 5 pro or shure e4c?
Sep 10, 2006 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

genesis

100+ Head-Fier
I know there are tons of threads regarding this. But I want a more specific opinion. I would like you to suggest an earphone for me depending on exactly what I require.

I like the in your face sound of the shure e2c but I want a bit more treble prescence with that sound signature. Tried the um1 and hated the veiled boring sound.

So basically I would like the shure e2c sound with a bit more crispiness to the sound and more treble. The bass can be same or more but it should not bleed over the treble detail and basically muffle anything. So I want the sound to be fast and not laid back like um1. I am also not a basshead but I would not mind bass either. But I want accuracy in all spectrum of the sound. I prefer clarity over bass if there is a question regarding that. But if I get both then I am happy with that too.

So should I go with the shure e4c or super.fi 5 pro based on my requirements?

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis
I know there are tons of threads regarding this. But I want a more specific opinion. I would like you to suggest an earphone for me depending on exactly what I require.

I like the in your face sound of the shure e2c but I want a bit more treble prescence with that sound signature. Tried the um1 and hated the veiled boring sound.

So basically I would like the shure e2c sound with a bit more crispiness to the sound and more treble. The bass can be same or more but it should not bleed over the treble detail and basically muffle anything. So I want the sound to be fast and not laid back like um1. I am also not a basshead but I would not mind bass either. But I want accuracy in all spectrum of the sound. I prefer clarity over bass if there is a question regarding that. But if I get both then I am happy with that too.

I haven't heard the e2c or the super-fi 5.pro. But I do have the e4c. With EQ (mainly boosting the bass), the e4c are excellent phones and are what you are asking for in your description. Without eq, I find them bright, thin, and somewhat harsh.

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 28
I've never heard the super.fi 5 pro but from what you'd like them to sound like ("accuracy in all spectrum of the sound. I prefer clarity over bass") I will vote for E4. I believe the Shure has better midrange and a more accurate bass response.From what I've read, the E4 is considered to be perhaps the most balanced IEM at this price.

JM2C

Sep 10, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

I like the in your face sound of the shure e2c but I want a bit more treble ...

Superfi5 blows away the E4c. Yes, people report the E4c has great
treble, but it lacks the bass of the E2c.

What I don't like about the Superfi5 is the ergonomics - wires tangle too easily and ear fit not as good as the Shures.

Sep 10, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 28
The Super.fi 5 Pros are better soundwise than the E4c's.

But take fit into consideration. The E4c's isolate more and do not stick out.

Then there is the flip-side mod with the 5 pros.

Also, take into consideration about the UE's removable cable. It can easily be replaced unlike the Shure's.

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 28
I went E2C to Ety ER-4P and haven't looked back
etysmile.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 28
The answer here is very simple, although people do not seem to be responding to your actual query: for your requirements, the E4 is the way to go, no doubt about it.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 28
The E4s do have more treble presence, but not as much as a pair of Grados. It's still pretty good, a nice improvement over the E2s. And I assure you, using foamies, my E4s do not sound thin in any way to me. The have amazing mids, and punchy bass with the correct seal.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 28
If you're looking for clarity, go for the Shure E4c.

They're crystal clear. The UEs are a lot more fun, and I wouldn't ever trade them for Shures, but they're not there for clarity.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 28
...IMHO, there is nothing in clarity the 5 Pros do.

I'll say it again. When I put them in my ears for the first time, the EXACT thought that hit me was, "This is it?" iBuds to the 5 Pros was not day-and-night. It was dawn to morning. KSC75 blew me away. iM716 amazed me.

If anything, go for the E4C. The ER4P will probably be too bass-lean for you.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc
Superfi5 blows away the E4c. Yes, people report the E4c has great
treble, but it lacks the bass of the E2c.

What I don't like about the Superfi5 is the ergonomics - wires tangle too easily and ear fit not as good as the Shures.

Disagreed. The E4 has bass levels similar to that of the E2 when volume matched at mids volume, but has augmented treble presence and at the same time better instrumental separation.

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

DISCLAIMER:
Please take into consideration that people MAY hear differently when it comes to semi-canals and IEMs, due to the different structure of individual ears.

Anyways, here goes nothing (tested directly out of my iAudio U3 unamped, unEQed, all effects off and manually volume matched, since I'm taking portability into the main consideration).

From your requirements, I think that you'd want to pick the E4 over the SuperFi 5Pro.

Sound wise, taking frequency spectrum volume levels into consideration, the E4 and the 5Pro are pretty much similar, except for the bass, where the 5Pro is slightly augmented. Depending on the music, it may leak/eat into the midrange, which can be quite bad...

The midrange for the 5Pro is dim...Even more so than the UE SuperFi 3 Studio believe it or not. Because of this, I feel that the 5Pro lacks the vocal intimacy that the E4 has.

In terms of highs, both are rather similar, but the E4 seems to carry a bit more lower treble energy (for better or for worse, its up to user discretion I guess) but is very slightly rolled off as compared to 5Pro in the extreme highs (where few instruments can reach). This in turn gives the 5Pros and illusion of more 'air'.

Having used the E2, E4 and 5Pro though, the E2 has the most upfront presentation amongst the 3, but it also feels the most closed in one. To me, the E4 and 5Pro has wider 'headroom', if you can call it that, and both are quite similar in my experience, but the E4 has a more, as you call it, in your face presentation when it is called for (I'm guessing that it maybe the midrange presentation of the E4, which the 5Pro cannot come close to).

In short, personally, I feel that the 5Pro... is pretty dead... in terms of sound when compared to the E4 (And ER4P for that matter, which I also happen to like).

Hmm, to add on, if I use a high impedance tweak (eg the ER4P to 4S impedance cable) to the E4 and an amp (My PINT or a Xenos REP), the E4's performance FLIES, literaly, with the entire spectrum tightened up considerably, outperforming a 5Pro amped in a similar fashion by leagues (The 5Pro did not seem to improve much from amping, both with and without the impedance tweak).

I hope this small article of mine has helped
smily_headphones1.gif

E4SF5P.jpg

Sep 11, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #13 of 28
Thank you Zephyron for your excellent description.

You have basically answered all my questions, even the ones that I have not asked or forgotten to ask.

I don't plan on using an amp so can you tell me whether the e4c will sound fine out of a creative muvo tx? my e2c sounds pretty good out of it. So will i have the same experience with the e4c?

Sep 11, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #14 of 28
My E4Cs have always sounded just fine out of of my fifth generation iPod. In my experience, they did not improve noticably with amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back