shure e2 vs. shure e4
Jan 5, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #31 of 39
Hey Low: All I have is a small pair of the clear flex silicone sleeves that came with my E2C's I bought from this board and have had for 2 nights. How much would you charge for a couple pair of those modded things you talked about?

The small flex feels good, but I dont know if the next size up to medium would seal better, as I dont have them to compare to. And no foamies so I have no idea how those would fit

Sam

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #32 of 39
hey sam,

for the e2? Kinda long answer, so hang on.

I bought my e2s before shure offered the ultra soft, black rubber sleeves. I was throughly disgusted with lack of comfort the clear flex sleeves offered if I wore them more than a couple hours and the e2s sat in a ziplocked baggie in my closet of obsolete parts until I was browsing these forums and saw a post about e2s and the softer tips. I picked up a three pack, one of each size of those ultra soft, black rubber sleeves and the mediums were like a glove! (if it don't fit, you must aquit!)

Since that day, i've used my e2s past the point of abuse. The casing of the right ear piece, the pastic clear and black parts fell apart. Emergency surgery ensued and with the help of superglue, i was rocking and rolling and I have had no other troubles with the phones.

Now the e2 sleeves are a different Inside Diameter (bigger) than the e4s and e3s (both the same, but smaller). we need to make an effort to keep all this straight because I'm easily confused.

Also, upon closer scrutiny, I noticed that the orange foamies for the e2s had an odd style tube. It appeared that the Inside of the tube was tapered! The sidewalls look to be different thicknesses if you look at one end of the orange foamie, then the other end.

I easily stripped the orange foam off the tube (it is not glued all the way, just on the ends) using my fingertips. I then forced one of my homemade foamies on the tube. The orange e2 foam and the yellow e3 and e4 foam are a PVC foam and I find them uncomfortable for long durations of wear. The howard leights are a poly foam and more comortable. You can search these forums for the posts. This is where I found the foamy details, i'm pretty sure (shure! Pun alert!) they were geared for the smaller e3s and e4s.

Sam, if I were in your shoes, i would order a fit kit from earplug super store and try them all on to see if you can find bliss from a stock size. I don't have any of the spares left from my e2s. 2 of the guys I work with are now owners of e2s and have since robbed me blind (but not deaf).

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #33 of 39
Ok, now I am getting somewhere. The black sleeves are softer than the clear ones. Ok, that would be great I guess and instead of the whole $15 kit and shipping, Ill check out just what the black ones cost at various places, including that super store. I will also try to find the foamies thing you referenced. I just thought from your prior post you made them as you said you got something from work. ALso, there is an ebayer with some 5 sets of foamies in small to medium for like $8.50 that he modded

Sam

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by koljaho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as strong base as e2 ?

Having owned both phones, I have to warn you that the bass on the E4 is an entirely different creature than on the E2.

When I made the transition, I was disappointed with how thin the E4s sounded in comparison to E2c (I found the foamies gave me the best bass on both earphones).

Since then, I've come to realize the E2c bass is muddy and colored, but enjoyable in its own euphonic way. I often miss how certain recordings sounded so rich on the E2c.. these recordings sound thin on the E4.

To answer your question directly, NO the e4 does not have as strong bass as e2. But, it is tighter and more detailed.

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #35 of 39
yeah, without admitting any wrongdoing, I "found" a box of plugs on the way to grainger. I'm thinking the whole box goes for around $20 or $25. Then all you need are the tubes...

I've seen the guy on ebay before, well his auctions, anyway. He's not using the same earplug for the foamies that I am, but they are similiar. I'm not sure (damn pun again) if he's making those for the e3/e4 or the e2.

Also, when shopping make sure the sleeves say they are for the e2s. The tubes on the e2s are bigger than the e3s and e4s. They won't interchange and The earplug super store list all the shure tips on one page, so read the descriptions carefully.

I still think you should wait on the homemade foamies until you've given all the stock sizes some time.

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #36 of 39
Low: I guess I need to stop being cheap, lol. Id like to try one pair of the black smalls and one pair of the black mediums and choose between them. Seems Id have to spend $13 and shipping to do that, but I get the larges thrown in. HEck, for like $3 more, I can have a total of 10 pair in case either size works.

here is the listing for the pair that the guy sramm makes. They say Howard Leights. With tubing and stuff and freezing, Id be better off buying the 5 pack and getting the right fit and not worry about messing up. I might have to read up on the post for how to make the Howard Leight adapted ones, if it does not require much skill, or patience, lol

Sam

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #37 of 39
Sam, my friend, its like owning a ferrari and then complaining about the cost of the filters! =)

That guy on that auction site has his mounted on e3s, so those tubes will be too small in diameter for the e2s.

I didn't freeze the plugs. I cut the 'flared' end off, the stood it up on its freshy cut end. I stabbed it down the center with a precision screwdriver. I left the screwdriver in and slid a tube over the screwdriver and tugged the earplug up over the tube.

Took me a couple times to get it down but it sounds more difficult than it actually is.

There is a thread here about the homemade foamies. I just bumped it up on another post about e4 fit issues.

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #38 of 39
I have had the e2 and now have the e4. Im sitting in a car right now (otw to airport so on the highway) on my laptop and i tell you what. Isolation just seems better to me on the e4. Maybe its the insert or something. However the cable is alittle thinner on the 4's then the 2's. There seems to be less microphonics with this setup then the e2, however im not moving around...just tapping the cord to test.

Now, ive only had these for about 2 hours...however, havent taken them out since i slapped on the insert.

The sound is really quite different. The E2 bass is alittle shy, but its for sure NO clear once your hear these. There is almost a richness to it, but you can for sure tell that the e4 bass is clearly better. I say better, not bigger.

What really threw me was the soundstage on the e4. Its not like the e2 where the sound seems to be beamed directly into your head. It almost feels like a decent earbud or clipons, the soundstage i mean.

Hi's have more clarity. Mids , well...much better mid response imo. I actually dont have to EQ the mid out to keep it clean (had to do this on my e2, or it would sound kinda hollow). The lows are completely different. The e2 seems to have more bass, but its no where as clean as the e4. At times i do find the e4 alittle tin-ny sounding.

All in all...honeslty...the e2 fit me better...i guess cause of the fatness of the housing and all. The e4 fit fine, just alittle looser then the e2s did.

Am i happy with them over the e2? No doubt...the tight bass, clean hi's and above par mid make it a better sounding IEM.

Are they worth the money difference? Depends...if you buy the e2 full price (99$) and the e4 for full price (299). Then i would say no, its not worth the 200$ difference. However if you search around the web and find the e4 for like 160$ (ttvj.com) then yes the extra money is worth it. I say no more then 100$ difference i would pay. Anything more then that, you better off saving your money and buying customs later on down the road. Mod your e2s (kramer is a genius, cause he is asian, like muh) and it will bring out the hi's, unmask them if you will.

This is just my thoughts...take it as you will.....Of course everyones ears are different, so sound might not be the same for you =)

This is just the condensed version atm. Im going on a small get-away till sunday, so i will have about 3-4 hours worth of flight to really test these out. I even brought my Go-Vibe with me, so i have a amp to test it with.

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #39 of 39
graphCompare.php

If you doubt that the bass on the E4c is less pronounced, this Headroom chart gives you the raw data to prove it. The E4c chart is actually quite like the K 701 chart, suggesting a very neutral presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back