SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #469 of 590
I assume that the TW2 has a lot more storage for software on the earpieces. If you want the features to work with any source device and player app (not just IOS/Android with Shure Play app), they must be implemented on the earpieces themselves. It is possible, that the TW1 can't handle it.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #470 of 590
I received my TW2 yesterday (UPS loved them so much they kept them over the weekend...). They resolve nuisance of having to manually switch them on after taking them out of the case -- very positive. This can be changed in the Shure Play app, but is on by default. Being able to customize the actions associated with left/right button press(es) is welcome as well, and the SE846 sound as good as ever. Did not use them much, so I can't tell wether the connection is more stable (I didn't have much problems with the TW1 either).
EFB710FC-C807-41E5-9A09-7CFF91891E10.jpegAD79634B-8704-469E-8E42-B5E3DE5EC29F.jpeg00609A99-7892-4A72-9CA9-282C56607957.jpeg

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #471 of 590
I received my TW2 yesterday (UPS loved them so much they kept them over the weekend...). They resolve nuisance of having to manually switch them on after taking them out of the case -- very positive. This can be changed in the Shure Play app, but is on by default. Being able to customize the actions associated with left/right button press(es) is welcome as well, and the SE846 sound as good as ever. Did not use them much, so I can't tell wether the connection is more stable (I didn't have much problems with the TW1 either).
Got mine this morning as well. Arrived within 20 hours of ordering directly from Shure. Excited to try them out today.

Old setup vs. New.

Attachments

• 20210914_103910_HDR.jpg
    20210914_103910_HDR.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #472 of 590
Doing nicely!
4C9F3103-9032-4E95-B422-AFB6D57B8D6A.jpeg
AA62D957-DFEA-4B6F-AF9E-3C8F1D1B1CCB.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #473 of 590
It’s clear that only the TW2 allows for the hardware-EQ and button programming, as well as stereo phone calls. TW1 is still on firmware 7.9.9.0 and no new features have been made available for TW1- I feel it’s unlikely any can or will be implemented.

Following up on my previous posts: The environmental pass-through is pretty much identical on TW2 (I had previously thought perhaps it was a little less well-defined). Phone calls are better, between stereo (which is the biggest improvement by far) and somewhat better microphone behavior.

I got a solid 8 hours from a charge, but the case was depleted to about half after a full recharge. I expect this to improve with a few charge/discharge cycles.

Unlike the Sony WF1000MX4 or Apple APP’s, the case still doesn’t communicate charge status to iOS, so the only way to know the charge state of the case is with the case tally lights. No surprise as this is absolutely a box-stock TW1 case coming with the TW2’s, and as previously noted, is even marked as such.

Overall- TW2 is a no-brainer purchase if you don’t have TW1 already. If you have TW1 and want the improved UX and hardware changes, then TW2 may be a worthwhile upgrade. SQ between the two seems to be about the same to me, but haven’t been able to test TW2 signal stability in really tough conditions- like, say, the Tokyo Metro, or outside Shinjuku station (possibly the most RF-hostile environment on the planet).

I do have a flight coming up this weekend so that might be a good test.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #475 of 590
It’s clear that only the TW2 allows for the hardware-EQ and button programming, as well as stereo phone calls. TW1 is still on firmware 7.9.9.0 and no new features have been made available for TW1- I feel it’s unlikely any can or will be implemented.

Following up on my previous posts: The environmental pass-through is pretty much identical on TW2 (I had previously thought perhaps it was a little less well-defined). Phone calls are better, between stereo (which is the biggest improvement by far) and somewhat better microphone behavior.

I got a solid 8 hours from a charge, but the case was depleted to about half after a full recharge. I expect this to improve with a few charge/discharge cycles.

Unlike the Sony WF1000MX4 or Apple APP’s, the case still doesn’t communicate charge status to iOS, so the only way to know the charge state of the case is with the case tally lights. No surprise as this is absolutely a box-stock TW1 case coming with the TW2’s, and as previously noted, is even marked as such.

Overall- TW2 is a no-brainer purchase if you don’t have TW1 already. If you have TW1 and want the improved UX and hardware changes, then TW2 may be a worthwhile upgrade. SQ between the two seems to be about the same to me, but haven’t been able to test TW2 signal stability in really tough conditions- like, say, the Tokyo Metro, or outside Shinjuku station (possibly the most RF-hostile environment on the planet).

I do have a flight coming up this weekend so that might be a good test.
Awesome, I ordered the TW2 from Amazon. It's supposed to arrive today or tomorrow. I also own the TW1 and use that one daily and have no issues.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #477 of 590
Did you get the 8 hours of battery life with or without on-device EQ? I'm curious if the additional signal processing affects battery life.
Without, i personally prefer the 846 as it naturally sounds. I definitely think rf stability is improved with TW2, based on two flights and work in a high-rfi environment this week.

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #480 of 590
Who the **** buys a $189 bluetooth wireless adaptor and attach expensive IEMs just to focus on calls?
I mean really? For God's sake! people will put high end IEMs on this and yet there is no NEXT/PREVIOUS controls???????????????
This is why I'm still not upgrading my utws1 solely for convenience and currently attached is a 90ohm OH7. lol!
Next time just put PAUSE/NEXT/PREVIOUS controls and the rest goes to sound improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back