SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #452 of 590
Having looked carefully, I think stereo phone calls, programmable button functions and IPX4 are the only substantial differences. It remains to be seen whether phone calls mic pickup is better.

Shipping started today, and I went ahead and placed an order, items will be here Saturday and I will report back on what i find.
I believe there is also hardware EQ, which they rolled out to the Aonic 50 as well. Not sure if TW1 got that update too since I don't have one. Works pretty well on Aonic 50 if not using LDAC.

Was debating whether to pick up a THX 887 that I do not need and decided earlier today that my money may be better spent elsewhere...hoping the TW2 is it. Eagerly awaiting feedback.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #453 of 590
AptX-HD or LDAC would be nice too, but I don't know if anyone has managed to make a TWS set with anything more advanced than regular aptX and AAC.

Also, if they've updated it to a newer version of Bluetooth or even just put a better antenna, that could solve cutout and interference issues.

Another change I'd love to see but doubt is possible with current tech is making it drive the SE846 better. The TW1 wrecks its soundstage in my experience, but I suspect that's due to slight timing inaccuracies between the sides.

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #454 of 590
AptX-HD or LDAC would be nice too, but I don't know if anyone has managed to make a TWS set with anything more advanced than regular aptX and AAC.

Also, if they've updated it to a newer version of Bluetooth or even just put a better antenna, that could solve cutout and interference issues.

Another change I'd love to see but doubt is possible with current tech is making it drive the SE846 better. The TW1 wrecks its soundstage in my experience, but I suspect that's due to slight timing inaccuracies between the sides.
The new Fiio UTWS5s are going to have AptX-Adaptive, but unfortunately no PC Bluetooth audio transmitters support it yet.
That being said given their crazy communication level witn customers on here I’m going to go with the Fiios if they have transparency mode, but if not the product is worthless to me.

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #455 of 590
IMO the Fiio UTWS3 beats the TW1 on most counts, but TW1 is a more comfortable fit with Shure IEMs for me -- not a surprise but I found the TW1 to still be more comfortable with my FH3 as well. The other issue I have with UTWS3 is that it can sometimes come disconnected from the charging pins and connect to my phone inside its case. It's also sometimes difficult to line up with the pins inside the case. I like Shure's solution of putting little cups they fit into instead of relying on magnets.

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #456 of 590

There are a few with aptX adaptive such as the B&W PI7, M&D MW08 sport, B&O EQ, etc. I am sure there are others. I only have the PI7 so haven't heard the others. They sound great but have their own issues. Guess Shure didn't quite figure out how to get that to work yet. Liked the aptX HD in the BT2 but memory wire was too annoying for me (those were what I used at the office pre-COVID but it has been sitting in a box since I started working from home a year and half ago).

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #457 of 590
1EE2F481-4FC1-4993-BE15-6AB74C9FC48D.jpeg
83E404A8-6FF1-4D6E-A0C5-9E6CECD9CB6D.jpeg

Due yesterday but just arrived😃

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #458 of 590
Upgrade now available to give EQ for all use, not just within Shure App👍

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #459 of 590
Upgrade now available to give EQ for all use, not just within Shure App👍
What EQ settings do you use? I have the EQ off currently. But I was wondering if there’s something that’s a good set up. Got mine also. So far so good. Tried a few calls and honestly that’s a huge upgrade over the one sided calling. I like the customizable button configuration as well. Connected my 846 to it and sounds nice but honestly the 215s aren’t bad at all.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #461 of 590
Can we split TW2 discussions from this? I like this thread be to informed about TW1s new stuff, and so far there was no firmware update for them with new features.
Since there’s so little traffic here anyway, I think splitting would kill both threads…
Plus the features like calls over both earpieces might well be due to hardware upgrades, so I wouldn’t hold my breath for more than big fixes coming to the TW1

UPS has let me down and keeps my package in custody over the weekend… anyway, there’s still no urgent need on my side :wink:

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #462 of 590
Yea that's my point, two different devices with different features, and I'm watching to stay updated about the TW1.

At least I'm hoping to get some button configuration stuff. I need pause and activate environment mode in one function. Takes me far to long if some one asks me a question on the street to be able to hear them. "wait I have to pause my music, now I have to switch my headphones to "hearing the environment", oh damn it started the music again..." most of the time I end up taking it out.

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #463 of 590
What EQ settings do you use? I have the EQ off currently. But I was wondering if there’s something that’s a good set up. Got mine also. So far so good. Tried a few calls and honestly that’s a huge upgrade over the one sided calling. I like the customizable button configuration as well. Connected my 846 to it and sounds nice but honestly the 215s aren’t bad at all.

Tried EQs but happy with 846 flat. Not sure why App has an SE846 and separate Aonic 846 setting? Or for that matter SE215 and Aonic 215?

Ran a 5k parkrun this morning and all good, no cutouts like the BT2.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #464 of 590
TW2 Update: This is a major hardware upgrade in terms of button flexibility, phone calls, and it seems, BT signal stability. Fewer dropouts, the extra functionality and customization of the buttons is excellent, and the power-up behavior (turns on when removed from case) is superior. There was a firmware upgrade available when first turned on which sets hardware EQ, which is handy as I don’t use the Shure app for music playback. The update was pretty quick, less than 10 minutes.

Phone calls being stereo are very helpful as well, and there appears to be noise reduction/cancellation in the phone mic, because I took a call while shooting in a pistol range today (the Shure 848’s are effective earplugs, with -37 dB NR) and the person on the other end of the call had no idea I was in a place with shots being fired- even when I took a couple of shots during the discussion myself. Remarkable.

It seems to me that the environmental mode isn’t quite as crisp or detailed as on the TW1, but this will be tested more. And if you are wondering, no these are not a substitute for noise-compression electronic hearing protectors. They do, however, work great in isolation mode, and if you run a set of over-ear electronic muffs like my Sordins you get 100% of the background noise with no shot noises and you can still stream your content.

The case is the exact same, and is even marked as TW-1.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #465 of 590
TW2 Update: This is a major hardware upgrade in terms of button flexibility, phone calls, and it seems, BT signal stability. Fewer dropouts, the extra functionality and customization of the buttons is excellent, and the power-up behavior (turns on when removed from case) is superior. There was a firmware upgrade available when first turned on which sets hardware EQ, which is handy as I don’t use the Shure app for music playback. The update was pretty quick, less than 10 minutes.

Phone calls being stereo are very helpful as well, and there appears to be noise reduction/cancellation in the phone mic, because I took a call while shooting in a pistol range today (the Shure 848’s are effective earplugs, with -37 dB NR) and the person on the other end of the call had no idea I was in a place with shots being fired- even when I took a couple of shots during the discussion myself. Remarkable.

It seems to me that the environmental mode isn’t quite as crisp or detailed as on the TW1, but this will be tested more. And if you are wondering, no these are not a substitute for noise-compression electronic hearing protectors. They do, however, work great in isolation mode, and if you run a set of over-ear electronic muffs like my Sordins you get 100% of the background noise with no shot noises and you can still stream your content.

The case is the exact same, and is even marked as TW-1.
Great to hear. Ordered one a few hours ago and already got a shipment notification. Looking forward to trying it out (hopefully) tomorrow. I passed on the TW1 because calls only on right side was a non-starter for me.

Need to give credit to Shure for lightning fast shipping too. Already starting to lose interest in some newly announced TWS since I havent been able to order them right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back