SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Sep 8, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #436 of 590
I would be inclined to think the same, especially given that I'd used my old SE425 (wired) out in the rain plenty of times, and the shells seem quite well sealed so long as the nozzle is blocked by being in your ear. Still I'd be hesitant to test this theory on IEMs that cost nearly $1000.
I fully understand you hesitating to try that out, I would not want to myself either. On the other hand Shure builds in-ears as monitoring systems for musicians / stage performance, where sweat and occasional humidity is always a problem. I'd be surprised if the SE846 were that easy to ruin, but I always see IPX ratings just as a fallback: I still put headphones and in-ears away if rain gets too intense.
With my current TW1 the discussion is moot anyway... they are definitely the weak point right now :wink: Will have to think about upgrading a bit... I don't use them *that* often, maybe I should at least wait for the availability of the cheaper standalone TW2 -- I'm only using them with my SE846 anyway.

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #437 of 590
When I bought the SE425 and later SE846, I recall sweat resistance being one bullet point they listed. At least at the time they were sold as suitable for either consumer use or stage monitoring, and one of the dedicated wireless stage monitor systems they sell comes with an SE425.
Also I'd feel fairly confident using the TW1 in light to medium rain. Looking at them, the only places it looks like water could get in are the tiny mic holes and maybe along the seam, but it'd have to be pretty heavy blowing rain to get in there.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #438 of 590
IP ratings are selling points to print on a box to convey to the consumer it’s been certified to do something. It doesn’t make a device without an IP rating any less capable of the same task. They are also minimal standards and most are tested to withstand far more than the stated IP rating regardless of weather it’s listed or not on the box.
I’ve run with AirPods, AirPods Pro and se846 with the TW1; no problem. All in the height of summer doing 5mile distances. Each performed great with out any issues.

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #439 of 590
I’ve occasionally been using the earlier Shure BT2 wired/wireless(!) adapter with my 846s while running, but due to dropouts and flapping design, bought and preferred AirPods Pro. I see that the premium for most Aonics is roughly £150 to include the TW2, but only £40 for the Aonic 215 gen2 on Amazon UK. Is this because it’s an earlier model they are trying to clear? (numbers now 3, 4 etc)?

Is there any disadvantage buying with 215 gen2 rather than cable alone? (215-included App not having 846 option, etc). 215 must be worth £40 to give to son if not use myself as a spare?

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #442 of 590
I’ve occasionally been using the earlier Shure BT2 wired/wireless(!) adapter with my 846s while running, but due to dropouts and flapping design, bought and preferred AirPods Pro. I see that the premium for most Aonics is roughly £150 to include the TW2, but only £40 for the Aonic 215 gen2 on Amazon UK. Is this because it’s an earlier model they are trying to clear? (numbers now 3, 4 etc)?

Is there any disadvantage buying with 215 gen2 rather than cable alone? (215-included App not having 846 option, etc). 215 must be worth £40 to give to son if not use myself as a spare?
I think this just gives you a spare set of SE215, which is an excellent in-ear in itself, Munich loved by musicians on and off stage.
The app is the same for all variants, the TW2 adapters are identical in all bundles as well (I’m sure this did not change since TW1 days)

edit: I think only the Aonic 215 comes as a single package while the others come as in-ears Package plus extra TW2 package

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #443 of 590
Ya with the Fiio UTWS5 coming out shortly it will be interesting to compare them.
I’m still not sure if the fiio product has the environment mode or not they have been kind of quiet but it’s a must have feature for me.
Fiio on the other hand have godlike customer communication vs Shire’s none so I’d like to get the Fiio product, but no environment mode makes it dead in the water if that is the case. Just have to wait and see.

I have the Shure TW1 for a while now and they are not bad. The environment mode is very good, and the TW2 fixed the one ear calling which is nice, but I also have daily minor connection issues. The most common and annoying of which is the two sides get out of sync a little and I have to pause my audio for a few seconds and resume so they sync back up.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #444 of 590
I went ahead and ordered the Aonic 215 from Amazon. The stereo sound on calls and whatever type of conference call I have like zoom is a huge upgrade in my mind. I was using the Senn Mom 2 but now I might just sell them and keep the 215 for exercising and use the 846 for everything else.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #445 of 590
I went ahead and ordered the Aonic 215 from Amazon. The stereo sound on calls and whatever type of conference call I have like zoom is a huge upgrade in my mind. I was using the Senn Mom 2 but now I might just sell them and keep the 215 for exercising and use the 846 for everything else.
Did you manage to get the new version? I did not see them on amazon.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #450 of 590
Having looked carefully, I think stereo phone calls, programmable button functions and IPX4 are the only substantial differences. It remains to be seen whether phone calls mic pickup is better.

Shipping started today, and I went ahead and placed an order, items will be here Saturday and I will report back on what i find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back