SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Jun 17, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #421 of 590
My TW1 arrived yesterday! In the Shure Play app, which option do I choose when connecting my SE846 to them? There's an option for SE846, and an option for Aonic 846, but don't my SE846 become Aonic 846 by connecting them to the TW1? It's a bit confusing. I can't seem to notice any difference between them! Thanks.

Jun 17, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #422 of 590
My TW1 arrived yesterday! In the Shure Play app, which option do I choose when connecting my SE846 to them? There's an option for SE846, and an option for Aonic 846, but don't my SE846 become Aonic 846 by connecting them to the TW1? It's a bit confusing. I can't seem to notice any difference between them! Thanks.
I don’t think there is a difference… yes, I think the bundle SE846+TW1 might be named Aonic 846 somewhere, but the in-ears are still the same. So I guess choosing either is OK, it’s just setting the level as far as I know

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #423 of 590
I don’t think there is a difference… yes, I think the bundle SE846+TW1 might be named Aonic 846 somewhere, but the in-ears are still the same. So I guess choosing either is OK, it’s just setting the level as far as I know
Thank you. Has anyone done any technical tests with selecting the different models to see if it changes anything with the sound other than what I presume is a form of Gain? I have some albums that are such quiet recordings that I ended up switching the model to SE215 to boost the volume, even though I was using the SE846 at the time.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #424 of 590
I really like the design and Shure as a brand but has anyone here compared it with the likes of Fiio UTWS3/BTR5, I am curious because it costs upwards of $250 here.

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #427 of 590
Heads up if you were on the fence about buying the TW-1. You can now buy the aonic 215 for $139 on Amazon. Great way to add wireless to your 846 or whatever you may have and also get some 215s.
Thanks! I wasn't going to buy a TW1 but I took this deal -- effectively I got a TW1 for $40 off and got a free pair of SE215. I tried it with the SE215 it came with first, and honestly it's better than I expected based on frequency response graphs. It looks like it's going to be an average V shape consumer tuning, but somehow they managed V shaped while keeping their amazing signature mids. I quickly swapped them for my old SE425, my second non-garbage earphone, broken and fixed a couple times but still good. Following their naming scheme, I suppose this would be Aonic 425, and it sounds great. I have not tried them with my SE846 since I want no-compromises sound quality on those, and I want these to be more of a beater set for commuting and exercise.

I can't find anything about the internals of the TW1 adapter, but from experience and how it sounds, I would guess there's some Qualcomm TWS chip handling BT and DAC functions, and some headphone amp chip. I've used TRN BT20S and Fiio UTWS3, both of which use a Qualcomm TWS chip as their DAC for battery life reasons. Like both of those, TW1 has a distinctive modest bass boost that makes me think Qualcomm DAC, which helps the SE425 since it's somewhat lacking in the bass department. And unlike the BT20S which wires the Qualcomm DAC directly to the output, it doesn't hiss and has enough power to drive stuff -- features shared with the UTWS3 which has a headphone amp chip.

For me, these check more boxes for practical everyday use than either the BT20S or the UTWS3. Once paired, you can swap these between devices just by telling one device to connect. Unlike the others, you don't have to disconnect it from one device to connect it to another. The way they clip into the case might seem strange at first, and having them not power on automatically when removed from the case is annoying, but having used UTWS3 I can see why they made these decisions. The UTWS3 uses magnets to hold the adapters in the case like almost every other TWS buds. I've had them stop charging and connect to my phone while inside the case many times. Seems Shure wanted to make certain this wouldn't happen. The case is a bit bulky, but the battery life just in the buds seems good enough so far, so I'll likely be just dropping them in a shirt pocket in a small bag sometimes.

Unlike the others, they have an environment pass-through mode so I can hear what's going on around me when I need to, without taking them out. This is the most natural sounding pass-through mode I've heard, which says something about the mic and DSP in it, but also about the SE425's tuning. It sounds something like if there was an eartip in my ear but no IEM. People talking don't sound odd, and I can use the environment mode while running water in the sink without awful sharp sounds, both minor issues I've had with this mode on my Galaxy Buds+.

The case is nice. It feels like a classic Shure zip case, but with a harder shell. The little loop to attach a carabiner is a good addition too. There's plenty of space to fit whatever Shure IEM you have on it, though many other MMCX IEMs will not fit. There's also enough room in the middle of the inside of the top to tape a moisture packet to keep the IEMs dry inside.

No Bluetooth product is perfect. Stuff I wish Shure would fix:
- Call audio on one side only. Like What. Fix this.
- Range is only average. I haven't had it cut out with my phone in my pocket.
- The buttons don't have a tactile click so it's hard to know whether I've pressed it. This could be fixed in software by playing a click sound instantly when the button is pressed.
- Only SBC/AAC/aptX. It seems to be difficult to do better than this on TWS, and it sounds fine with aptX, so whatever.
- The app. Sometimes I open it and it says no Shure products detected. Pressing recents, swiping away the app and relaunching it fixes this. When it does work, it takes annoyingly long to communicate with them before going to the main screen.
- I wish the EQ in the app applied to all apps, not just music played through this app. (i.e. I wish EQ processing was done in the earphone itself like what Qudelix 5K does, but it's all done in the app when playing music.) It's a decent parametric EQ too. I'd like more bands, but I like how it lets me edit it just by dragging points around the graph.
- The light pipe to show the charging status LED when the case is closed needs to be wider. Because of the cloth hinge and zipper it doesn't always align with the LED so I can't see it unless I wiggle it around to line up.

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #428 of 590
Thanks! I wasn't going to buy a TW1 but I took this deal -- effectively I got a TW1 for $40 off and got a free pair of SE215. I tried it with the SE215 it came with first, and honestly it's better than I expected based on frequency response graphs. It looks like it's going to be an average V shape consumer tuning, but somehow they managed V shaped while keeping their amazing signature mids. I quickly swapped them for my old SE425, my second non-garbage earphone, broken and fixed a couple times but still good. Following their naming scheme, I suppose this would be Aonic 425, and it sounds great. I have not tried them with my SE846 since I want no-compromises sound quality on those, and I want these to be more of a beater set for commuting and exercise.

I can't find anything about the internals of the TW1 adapter, but from experience and how it sounds, I would guess there's some Qualcomm TWS chip handling BT and DAC functions, and some headphone amp chip. I've used TRN BT20S and Fiio UTWS3, both of which use a Qualcomm TWS chip as their DAC for battery life reasons. Like both of those, TW1 has a distinctive modest bass boost that makes me think Qualcomm DAC, which helps the SE425 since it's somewhat lacking in the bass department. And unlike the BT20S which wires the Qualcomm DAC directly to the output, it doesn't hiss and has enough power to drive stuff -- features shared with the UTWS3 which has a headphone amp chip.

For me, these check more boxes for practical everyday use than either the BT20S or the UTWS3. Once paired, you can swap these between devices just by telling one device to connect. Unlike the others, you don't have to disconnect it from one device to connect it to another. The way they clip into the case might seem strange at first, and having them not power on automatically when removed from the case is annoying, but having used UTWS3 I can see why they made these decisions. The UTWS3 uses magnets to hold the adapters in the case like almost every other TWS buds. I've had them stop charging and connect to my phone while inside the case many times. Seems Shure wanted to make certain this wouldn't happen. The case is a bit bulky, but the battery life just in the buds seems good enough so far, so I'll likely be just dropping them in a shirt pocket in a small bag sometimes.

Unlike the others, they have an environment pass-through mode so I can hear what's going on around me when I need to, without taking them out. This is the most natural sounding pass-through mode I've heard, which says something about the mic and DSP in it, but also about the SE425's tuning. It sounds something like if there was an eartip in my ear but no IEM. People talking don't sound odd, and I can use the environment mode while running water in the sink without awful sharp sounds, both minor issues I've had with this mode on my Galaxy Buds+.

The case is nice. It feels like a classic Shure zip case, but with a harder shell. The little loop to attach a carabiner is a good addition too. There's plenty of space to fit whatever Shure IEM you have on it, though many other MMCX IEMs will not fit. There's also enough room in the middle of the inside of the top to tape a moisture packet to keep the IEMs dry inside.

No Bluetooth product is perfect. Stuff I wish Shure would fix:
- Call audio on one side only. Like What. Fix this.
- Range is only average. I haven't had it cut out with my phone in my pocket.
- The buttons don't have a tactile click so it's hard to know whether I've pressed it. This could be fixed in software by playing a click sound instantly when the button is pressed.
- Only SBC/AAC/aptX. It seems to be difficult to do better than this on TWS, and it sounds fine with aptX, so whatever.
- The app. Sometimes I open it and it says no Shure products detected. Pressing recents, swiping away the app and relaunching it fixes this. When it does work, it takes annoyingly long to communicate with them before going to the main screen.
- I wish the EQ in the app applied to all apps, not just music played through this app. (i.e. I wish EQ processing was done in the earphone itself like what Qudelix 5K does, but it's all done in the app when playing music.) It's a decent parametric EQ too. I'd like more bands, but I like how it lets me edit it just by dragging points around the graph.
- The light pipe to show the charging status LED when the case is closed needs to be wider. Because of the cloth hinge and zipper it doesn't always align with the LED so I can't see it unless I wiggle it around to line up.

What I really want other than the 1-ear thing to be fixed, is AptX LL support. I want to use these at my PC but the latency is just way too high. Like 200-300ms. Very noticeable.

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #429 of 590
What I really want other than the 1-ear thing to be fixed, is AptX LL support. I want to use these at my PC but the latency is just way too high. Like 200-300ms. Very noticeable.
It's not a real fix, but you can at least get proper A/V sync in VLC. Adjust the delay with J/K. Negative delays are generally what Bluetooth things need since the audio lags behind the video. Once you've found the correct delay you can make VLC default to that when you open it by putting it in Tools=>Preferences, Show Settings: All in the bottom left, Audio tab in the tree to the left, and put the delay number in the Audio Desynchronization Delay box. Save, exit, and it should remember it from then onward.
It's no use for gaming though.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #430 of 590
It's not a real fix, but you can at least get proper A/V sync in VLC. Adjust the delay with J/K. Negative delays are generally what Bluetooth things need since the audio lags behind the video. Once you've found the correct delay you can make VLC default to that when you open it by putting it in Tools=>Preferences, Show Settings: All in the bottom left, Audio tab in the tree to the left, and put the delay number in the Audio Desynchronization Delay box. Save, exit, and it should remember it from then onward.
It's no use for gaming though.
For sure thanks I for sure do that (in MPC) but yeah wouldn't help for games. Stuck with my wired cans for now!

Sep 7, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #431 of 590
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #433 of 590
But then the IP rating it useless for me because the SE 846 don't magically get one. :)
Interesting point… but since the SE846 has a completely closed shell I don’t think this is problematic even without a formal IPX rating.

Shure has put that IPX4 rating on the Aonic 215 page, and i don’t think the SE215 was changes in any way… but maybe someone is so inclined as to ask Shure support

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #434 of 590
Any special upgrade offers? But then the IP rating it useless for me because the SE 846 don't magically get one. :)
I contacted customer service and asked and got a pretty clear no. However, since TW1 is discontinued, it's possible that it you broke it and sent it in for repair that they would replace it with TW2. This happened to me many years ago with a pair of 530s that were sent in for a bad cable and got upgraded to 535s as 530 was discontinued.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #435 of 590
Interesting point… but since the SE846 has a completely closed shell I don’t think this is problematic even without a formal IPX rating.
I would be inclined to think the same, especially given that I'd used my old SE425 (wired) out in the rain plenty of times, and the shells seem quite well sealed so long as the nozzle is blocked by being in your ear. Still I'd be hesitant to test this theory on IEMs that cost nearly $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back