SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Jun 8, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #406 of 590
Well it got more controls on the earpiece, but does it have the "audio pass through" mode? I find that really useful for short talks with strangers. Also no info on BT protocols used, that's probably a bad thing.
That’s an excellent question… I use that a lot on my KEF mu3’s so I don’t have to pull the buds out every time someone talks to me

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #407 of 590
Hey guys, I've been dipping in and out of this thread over the last year. I currently use the BT2 with my SE846 when travelling to work, and find the sound a little 'thin' when compared to running them wired to a Fiio X7ii. There's definitely something missing there. This is with all devices having no EQ. Does anyone have experience going from the BT2 to the TW1 and whether it does a better job of driving them?

Also does anyone know if the TW1 has more volume when driving the SE535? I find I have to have the BT2 pretty much maxed out when using the 535 with a lot of my albums.

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #408 of 590
Hey guys, I've been dipping in and out of this thread over the last year. I currently use the BT2 with my SE846 when travelling to work, and find the sound a little 'thin' when compared to running them wired to a Fiio X7ii. There's definitely something missing there. This is with all devices having no EQ. Does anyone have experience going from the BT2 to the TW1 and whether it does a better job of driving them?

Also does anyone know if the TW1 has more volume when driving the SE535? I find I have to have the BT2 pretty much maxed out when using the 535 with a lot of my albums.

Thanks!
I do think the sound is better. Really enjoy the TW1 over the BT2. Maybe I was trying to be a little biased when using the TW1 but I really enjoy the wireless 846s with the TW1. You can also adjust in the app which model SEs you’re using.

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #409 of 590
I do think the sound is better. Really enjoy the TW1 over the BT2. Maybe I was trying to be a little biased when using the TW1 but I really enjoy the wireless 846s with the TW1. You can also adjust in the app which model SEs you’re using.
That's good to hear. When you adjust which model of SE in the app, does it increase the volume for the harder to drive IEMs? Obviously the SE846 are very sensitive, but I find the BT2 too quiet for both the SE535 and SE215. I often wish the BT2 was around 50% more powerful.

Also, can anyone who wears glasses comment on the comfort with these? Especially these days with wearing a mask as well, it is quite important when having 3 different things hooked over your ears at once!

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #410 of 590
That's good to hear. When you adjust which model of SE in the app, does it increase the volume for the harder to drive IEMs? Obviously the SE846 are very sensitive, but I find the BT2 too quiet for both the SE535 and SE215. I often wish the BT2 was around 50% more powerful.

As far as I understand these options, its only about volume adjustments, no EQ. So I think this would solve your problem with the SE535/SE215.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #411 of 590
As far as I understand these options, its only about volume adjustments, no EQ. So I think this would solve your problem with the SE535/SE215.
If that's true then good news! I needed up ordering one last night (with another set of SE215 as it was only £10 more) so they should be arriving tomorrow. It will be interesting to test out all the different models I own with them.

And obviously, now that I've given up waiting on a new model and ordered the current one, prepare for a TW2 announcement in a week, with AptxHD and LDAC support, volume control buttons, active noise cancelling and a sleeker form factor! :D

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #412 of 590
If that's true then good news! I needed up ordering one last night (with another set of SE215 as it was only £10 more) so they should be arriving tomorrow. It will be interesting to test out all the different models I own with them.

And obviously, now that I've given up waiting on a new model and ordered the current one, prepare for a TW2 announcement in a week, with AptxHD and LDAC support, volume control buttons, active noise cancelling and a sleeker form factor! :D

Shure seems to have a rather slow pace of updates (very welcome), so I guess there's still time until a TW2 comes along.

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #414 of 590
APTX HD is not possible to sync wirelessly between two separated earpieces, we need a new chipset for that or even a different protocol.
Ah, I did wonder why these didn't support AptxHD but presumed it was a trade off for the design. I was hoping for a revision with HD support, but that makes me feel a bit better about ordering this model!

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #415 of 590
APTX HD is not possible to sync wirelessly between two separated earpieces, we need a new chipset for that or even a different protocol.
The B&W PI7s have aptX HD. I have only been able to use aptX adaptive with my phones but it is in the specs. Doesnt seem to work with all aptX HD capable devices (like my Node 2i) so I have not been able to try it but others have reported it working with some phones. Sony also just released their XM4 TWS with LDAC so the technology is there.

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #416 of 590
The B&W PI7s have aptX HD. I have only been able to use aptX adaptive with my phones but it is in the specs. Doesnt seem to work with all aptX HD capable devices (like my Node 2i) so I have not been able to try it but others have reported it working with some phones. Sony also just released their XM4 TWS with LDAC so the technology is there.
Interesting, wonder what their trick is. Maybe they both have to connect to the phone directly and the phones syncs them as 2 independent speakers, or there is a new chipset that is capable of doing this now.

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #417 of 590
I think I'd still rather listen to my SE846 in a lossy bitrate, than the Sonys with LDAC though. I have a pair of XM3 headphones with LDAC, and they're great for chucking on to watch something on the phone at home, or some non-critical music listening, but I prefer the Shure sound.

Jun 14, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #418 of 590
From what I can find they have the option to work with a cable too, so I guess that's when APTX HD becomes available.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #419 of 590
From what I can find they have the option to work with a cable too, so I guess that's when APTX HD becomes available.
If you are referring to the PI7, no they don't. Cable is just for retransmission of the source content to the buds via case (3.5mm or USB C to USB C to case and case streams via aptX LL for 3.5mm input or aptX for USB C input). Think in-flight entertainment system or using with a laptop without pairing. The buds are true wireless and work in master-slave configuration, although either side can be the master earbud. No cable between the earbuds.

Their tech is far from perfect and aptX HD doesnt seem to work with some DAPs and streamers, even though those DAPs and streamers are capable of aptX HD (for example, my Node 2i works via aptX HD with my Shure BT2 but now with the B&W PI7s).

@Rizob the point of my previous post was not a comparison of XM4, XM3 or TWS in general vs. SE846 + TW1 but that the technology does exist so the thought of aptX HD, aptX adaptive (and maybe LC3) or LDAC in the next iteration of TW1 is not that far fetched. I am still holding out hope for a higher bitrate codec on a TW2 (perhaps an Aonic 8?)...still use my SE846 wired.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #420 of 590
I think I'd still rather listen to my SE846 in a lossy bitrate, than the Sonys with LDAC though. I have a pair of XM3 headphones with LDAC, and they're great for chucking on to watch something on the phone at home, or some non-critical music listening, but I prefer the Shure sound.
@Rizob the point of my previous post was not a comparison of XM4, XM3 or TWS in general vs. SE846 + TW1 but that the technology does exist so the thought of aptX HD, aptX adaptive (and maybe LC3) or LDAC in the next iteration of TW1 is not that far fetched. I am still holding out hope for a higher bitrate codec on a TW2 (perhaps an Aonic 8?)...still use my SE846 wired.
Yeah I was just commenting that I would still rather have the lower bitrate codec with the SE846 rather than moving to some of the other brands. It would be great if a TW2 does come along with a higher bitrate codec. I'm sure I would upgrade to that in no time! The tech will get there eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back