SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #317 of 590
An iPhone XR.

The reason I asked for your music source is that I think the connection stability issues some people are experiencing may be iPhone iOS related rather than a problem with the TW1. There have been numerous complaints about iPhone Bluetooth connectivity since iOS 14 on the Apple forums.

In my case, iPhone 11 Pro, I get random drop outs especially when moving around. Occasionally the reconnection will result in L/R synchronisation issues and sound distortions (like a hall/echo chamber). This is fixed by a TW1 reset.

I’ve tested this using the Creative BT W3 Bluetooth transmitter dongle (this is an inexpensive brilliant device btw, which enables you to transmit SBC, standard Aptx, Aptx HD or Aptx LL using an iPhone or iPad). Turning off the iPhone Bluetooth and just relying on the BT W3 dongle, I found the connection to be far more stable. There were still very occasional drop outs as with all Bluetooth devices (which I think are due to environmental issues), but I have yet to experience any syncing or sound distortion issues after reconnecting.

In my view, the TW1 sound quality is fabulous with my SE846. The reason I bought the BT W3 dongle was to squeeze out even better sound quality, since the iPhone 11 dropped the AAC codec and only supports SBC (a real arsehole move by Apple pushing their W1 tech).However, even using SBC the TW1 sound quality is incredible. The audible difference between SBC and Aptx is subtle, not earth shattering. Aptx just seems to fill in the gaps, the sound is more complete. I use the Aptx HD for my BT2, which to my ears sounds better than TW1, but the TW1 ergonomics are perfect for me.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #318 of 590
iPhone 11 dropped the AAC codec and only supports SBC

This is the first time I’ve heard that. Google hasn’t helped me in verifying that is the case.

Are you able to provide more info on this?

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #319 of 590
Are you able to provide more info on this?
[/QUOTE]

Yes I was taken aback by this.

Here’s one source:

https://bluetoothcheck.com/d/apple-iphone-11
https://bluetoothcheck.com/d/apple-iphone-11-pro-max

Contrast with iPhone X:

https://bluetoothcheck.com/d/apple-iphone-x

I’m happy to be proven wrong, because I was rather disappointed.

Apple does not state which Bluetooth codecs are being used for iPhone 11 in its specs. I won’t consider an iPhone 12 until I know which Bluetooth codecs are supported. I can’t find any information at present.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #320 of 590
@PiggyD0g thats really interesting, but I don't think this information is correct. As a short test I connected my ES-100 (which I use to connect my 64audio N8 to my iPhone) and checked with the EarStudio application, which outputs the connection parameters:
A6E6B3AB-EB75-423B-9C7A-89ED0C83B31F.jpeg
This quite reassuringly still mentions AAC for my iPhone 11 Pro Max (upper left under the Bluetooth symbol).

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #321 of 590
@PiggyD0g thats really interesting, but I don't think this information is correct. As a short test I connected my ES-100 (which I use to connect my 64audio N8 to my iPhone) and checked with the EarStudio application, which outputs the connection parameters:

This quite reassuringly still mentions AAC for my iPhone 11 Pro Max (upper left under the Bluetooth symbol).

Well that’s really good news.

I was mightily pissed off when I saw that on Bluetooth check. Thanks very much for this.

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #322 of 590
The Priorities are different for each person i would say. Some dont even need the phone functionality and so dont have any issue with the TW1 sending the call only to the right as is clear out here where there is hardly any complaints about it. Shure has concentrated more on getting the sound quality right and I feel they have done a superb job on that front. Again its all different from person to person. As for me the TW1 & 846 combi rocks and if i were to pick for some faults, then it would be the inability to control volume or skip tracks from the TW1 itself. Ofcourse these are just my few cents. Good day guys

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #323 of 590
Quick question, does the RMCE-TW1 provide audio in both ears for video conference and audio calls with apps such as Skype/Line/Viber etc or just on the right side as well like with normal phone calls? My Sony MUC-M2BT1 is cutting out on one side and looking for a replacement, wife has hijacked my Airpod Pros as well, lol.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #324 of 590
Quick question, does the RMCE-TW1 provide audio in both ears for video conference and audio calls with apps such as Skype/Line/Viber etc or just on the right side as well like with normal phone calls? My Sony MUC-M2BT1 is cutting out on one side and looking for a replacement, wife has hijacked my Airpod Pros as well, lol.
Depends on what you're using as the source. For example when I use a windows or chrome os device, I can set the internal mic and then use the TW1 as a stereo headphone device and get audio out of both ears. When using Android or IOS device, I can't set separate input and output audio devices and it treats it like a headset and goes to mono right only. Sucks.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #325 of 590
Depends on what you're using as the source. For example when I use a windows or chrome os device, I can set the internal mic and then use the TW1 as a stereo headphone device and get audio out of both ears. When using Android or IOS device, I can't set separate input and output audio devices and it treats it like a headset and goes to mono right only. Sucks.

Thanks for the detailed reply! :relaxed: That's a bit of a deal breaker for me then since I am mostly using iOS/iPadOS for audio/video conference and Win10 PC for listening only, hopefully its something they can address with a firmware update.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #326 of 590
Thanks for the detailed reply! :relaxed: That's a bit of a deal breaker for me then since I am mostly using iOS/iPadOS for audio/video conference and Win10 PC for listening only, hopefully its something they can address with a firmware update.
From what I understand, this is a hardware limitation as is the master/slave right/left. It's really unfortunate because otherwise it would be a nearly flawless product.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #328 of 590
After checking out quite a lot of options, which may or may not work for me, I'm back to the IEM + TWS adapter solution.
I'm a big fan of the Tin Hifi T2+ due to their combination of sound, fit and price. Now I want to make them true wireless.
Since the TW1 are the only ones with environment mode and the TRN BT20S Pro have bad quality control and a slight hiss, the TW1 seems to be my only option.

After reading the whole thread again I wrote down a few key points I want to summarize here:
  • Pros
    • environment mode for better awareness on the go
    • aptX support for better sound on Android
    • upgradeable firmware for feature upgrades
    • correct left/right positioning in the case for easier usage
    • case is big enough for third party IEMs
    • doesn't overcharge at 100% for better battery health
  • Cons
    • EQ only works when playing music with the app
    • no volume control
    • no track control
    • call sound only plays on the right side
  • Questions
    • Does the right side battery still run out way faster than the left side one?
    • Do they automatically power on/off and pair/unpair when used with the case?
    • Does music still resume on the right side only after ending a call?
    • Is the environment mode good enough to use while listening to music? (for better awareness when walking around in the city)
    • The left side won't ever be able to be used as standalone due to hardware limitations?
    • Are connection problems still a thing?
    • No multi point connection due to hardware limitations?
    • Any thoughts on the RMCE-TW1 vs the Fiio UTWS3? (a successor to the UTWS1, which will be released soon)
    • Are the device/impedance settings saved on the TW1 or does this just work when used with the app?
    • Is there a "generic" device/impedance setting to choose when using the TW1 with third party IEMs?
Some of my points are probably from the pre-callback-era and aren't relevant anymore. If so, you are welcome to tell me and I'll edit my post.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #329 of 590
  • Questions
    • Does the right side battery still run out way faster than the left side one? Yes, I get roughly 7 hours out of the right earpiece.
    • Do they automatically power on/off and pair/unpair when used with the case? Putting them in the case automatically switches them off. Taking them out does not turn them on automatically.
    • Does music still resume on the right side only after ending a call? No. Never happend for me.
    • Is the environment mode good enough to use while listening to music? (for better awareness when walking around in the city) Never used it.
    • The left side won't ever be able to be used as standalone due to hardware limitations? Correct.
    • Are connection problems still a thing? Not for me. But that depends on where you keep your phone and the interference in your environment.
    • No multi point connection due to hardware limitations? Not sure. I think you're correct.
    • Any thoughts on the RMCE-TW1 vs the Fiio UTWS3? (a successor to the UTWS1, which will be released soon) Never used the Fiio.
    • Are the device/impedance settings saved on the TW1 or does this just work when used with the app? The setting is stored on the device. But it's not impedance, just better scaling of the volume slider according to the selected Shure IEM's efficiency.
    • Is there a "generic" device/impedance setting to choose when using the TW1 with third party IEMs? Just a list of Shure IEMs.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #330 of 590
@me7
Thanks a lot for your answers. A few follow ups:
  • What's wrong with Shure, they really don't turn on when I take them out of the case?
  • I have to turn on both manually, or just the right one?
  • So it basically doesn't matter which device setting I use and it's just personal preference for the volume steps?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back