Shure canalphone tangled cords
Jan 28, 2004 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dxy56

New Head-Fier
Does anyone else find it a nuisance when using the Shure canalphones to have to untangle the cords?

At the gym, I use my iPod and my Koss Porta-Pros. The Porta Pros are bass heavy and somewhat muddy.

After I purchased the Shure E5 canalphones, I tried them but find that the cords get all tangled up. (I don't store them in any kind of case, just bunched up in my gym bag.)

I had the same tangled mess when I used to use Koss KSC50 phones (got so frustrated, I then bought the Porta Pro)

What do you all do to keep the cords from getting tangled?

Jan 28, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 21
Cords from all headphone gets tangled up.. there's no exception.. so you know.. learn to live with it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 21
You could try the Turtle cord wrap.

I saw it at Container Store. I brought my E2s to the store and tried it out. There are three sizes (tiny, small and large).

The tiny may work for just wrapping the extra cable up between workouts or whatever. The small can hold the cable and almost hold the E2 buds. I didn't play with them much; perhaps there is away to get it all comfortably inside.

The large is just huge.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...9992&CATID=215

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 21
Yeah, I bought some of these too. I bought the large to hold my ety ER-4Ps. They actually fit in the small one too but you had to take the shirt clip off and it was still a little tight so the large one works better.

Jan 29, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dxy56
The E5's didn't come with a small case (only the E5c's do). If it works, perhaps I should buy one from Shure.

Sorry, didn't realize that the E5s don't come with a case. I figured that if my E3s did, other canalphones costing $300 more from the same company would at least come with one.

You can get 'em for $15 through Shure...my brother got one for his ER-4s (the one with the cable spool is the one that comes with the E3s..pretty convenient and simple).

Jan 29, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 21
I just wrap my iBuds cord all the way around my iPod and stick it in my pocket. Couldn't do that with KSC35's, and hated always getting the cord tangled up.

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 21
HI: I just wrap my E3c around my hand and then though them in my shoulder bag. Never had a problem with tangle.

Jan 29, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Manveer
Sorry, didn't realize that the E5s don't come with a case. I figured that if my E3s did, other canalphones costing $300 more from the same company would at least come with one.

You can get 'em for $15 through Shure...my brother got one for his ER-4s (the one with the cable spool is the one that comes with the E3s..pretty convenient and simple).

E5c comes with a case, just like your E3c... the E5 does not. E5 is the package meant for professionals and musicians, and lacks a couple of nice little nifty items that the E5c comes with.

Otherwise, there's no difference between the earphones themselves. It's strictly package and design.

Also, the E5c's case is the same shape, but a little slimmer than the E3c's spool case. It also does not have a "spool" in the center. E5c's size + the in-line crossover in the middle of the wire makes it very hard to wind into a spool or any sort. So you just roll it up with your hands and put it into the case.

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 21
Hmm.. that's so bizarre.. I wonder what those marketing people in Shure is up to again...

Maybe the new E5 packages will come with the case as well.. But for sure the older stocks do not come with them (older stocks also do not come with tri-flange & soft flex sleeves... and E3/E3c doesn't have the tri-flange).

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 21
I'm not certain where the confusion began, but the E5 does in fact ship with a case. Albeit not the same case that comes with the E5c. A year and a half ago when we first began the effort to repackage the line (before the introduction of the E2) we were developing the zippered case. At the time, E1 and E5 shipped with a soft velour pouch and a big gray outer case (and by "big" I mean 10" long, 2.5" tall and 5" deep). The big gray case was primarily for the wireless bodypack that our earphones were sold with. When we researched whether or not the pros wanted the new zippered case (which was being developed for the E2), the general reaction was "No."

Since E1 was getting the same packaging as E2, it got the zippered case (w/spool) and the E5 stayed with the velour pouch. When we introduced E5c, we added the new zip case w/o the spool, as the non-pro market wasn't going to get the big gray case.

So, just to recap, the E5 does - and always has - come with a case. Just not the one that the E5c comes with. We can't control who buys it, but we market it towards musicians and audio engineers.

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 21
Yep, I got the small/ black/velour/ case with my E5's in addition to that plastic monstosity of a case.
tongue.gif
BTW Sugerfried, I recieved all of the available sleeves with my new E5's, including the tri-flanges, grey sleeves, and an extra set of foamies!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back