Shure black foamies!! Arrghhh
Jun 11, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not tried the black foamies from Shure, but I make homemade foamies (much cheaper) and if they are turned the other way and you then stick the big end in my ears first I get a much better seal and they stay in no matter how much I shake my ears also opening my mouth or yawning does not break the seal, it is like the plug crawls right back by it self.....
Maybe that could be the solution for you, if it is possible with the black foamies.

This method hurt like hell but it worked! It is not comfortable getting them in at all as that end wont compress as much because of the centre-plug, but if I spin them round and give it some force they do go in eventually and give a faultless solid fit. *note* giving AWESOME bass. But it really isn't fun putting them in.

Why oh why couldn't Shure make them the same shape as the yellow foamies but change the colour and material???!! This dome shape thing is mental!

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #17 of 28
Yeah, the black foamies fit perfectly every single time, they just glide right into my ears with no hassle.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was our intent with the black foam.

Mors: I think you may benefit from a smaller size foam. Most people can use medium or small, large is really for rare exceptions (no offense intended to anyone using a large black foam).

Thanks for the input Sugarfried. I really don't understand why you guys changed the shape though when the tube shape of the yellow foamies seemed to work for everyone?! The yellow foamies, even though they're a bit of an uncomfortable material, seem to fit everyone without fail - so you've gone backwards by making these only fit 'some' people?

I'm using the black foamies exacly the same size (diameter/height) as my default yellow foamies - And the yellow fit, these black ones dont.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input Sugarfried. I really don't understand why you guys changed the shape though when the tube shape of the yellow foamies seemed to work for everyone?! The yellow foamies, even though they're a bit of an uncomfortable material, seem to fit everyone without fail - so you've gone backwards by making these only fit 'some' people?

I'm using the black foamies exacly the same size (diameter/height) as my default yellow foamies - And the yellow fit, these black ones dont.

I believe Sugarfried answered why they changed the shape due to their intent of being able to insert without compressing them first.

I think if you did a search you will find that the new Shure black foamies are, in large, a huge success. IEM tips are a very individualistic. It can take some people quite a number of tries to find that perfect fit.

I'm a huge fan of the new Shure black foamies and they've converted me to a foamie user where before I preferred silicone tips. Because of their durability, washability, level of seal and downright comfort, it is of my opinion that Shure did a great job with these little wonders.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

This method hurt like hell but it worked! It is not comfortable getting them in at all as that end wont compress as much because of the centre-plug, but if I spin them round and give it some force they do go in eventually and give a faultless solid fit. *note* giving AWESOME bass. But it really isn't fun putting them in.

Why oh why couldn't Shure make them the same shape as the yellow foamies but change the colour and material???!! This dome shape thing is mental!

I found the foam a bit uncomfortable because it was too long. So I cut off the front, now it works great, you should try this out too.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 28
As stated earlier I have not tried the black ones, so I can not know if they are comfortable when they are worn upside/down or inside/out or whatever it is called..

I suspect that the problem could be me, because I have worn earplugs for such a long time (apr. 8 hours a day in 18 years) so my ears are somewhat unsensitive, all kinds og plugs feel comfortable to me..

I always make my foamies myself and use a plug called "north" they are quite dense and gives terrific isolation at the same time they are quite soft and smooth they also got some memory shapevice , I only compress them the first time they go into the ear afterwards I just jam them in there...

And the best of it all they can be washed if i use a mild detergent and the water is not to hot, I have to wash the soap out several times and let them dry for a day..

I have however still the urge to try the black foamies, just to see if Shure can make plugs that are better than my own...

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

You are most welcome.

The cylindrical yellow foam didn't work for everyone, I'm not certain where you got that idea. People have complained about the yellow foam to me for over 8 years. In that time I have introduced clear flex, and then soft flex, neither of which made most people happy.

I never thought that the black foam would make everyone happy either, but after a year and a half of work we figured it was ready.

If the yellow foam is perfect for you, the small black foam might be a good choice. Though the medium black foam and the yellow are similar in diameter, the "skin" on the black foam gives it more actual substance, making it effectively wider. So the small version might be more "apples to apples" than the medium.

Good luck.

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #24 of 28
Oddly enough it seems I'm unable to get a decent seal with the medium black foamies in my left ear, and the large seems to create so much outward pressure that they become very uncomfortable in an hour or so. Previously I've been using medium soft flex or tri-flanges modded to bi-flanges with a shortened stem.

And for the record: I never could get any seal with the yellow foamies, in either ear. With medium black ones the right ear plugs up nicely, but the left one seems to be a tough customer. Perhaps I should try just jamming the phone in without compressing the foam. The large one is too large for that, though.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 28
This is a little OT, but I'm about to buy some of these new black shure foamies. Which size (small or medium) is closer to the smaller size of Complys (that come with Westones).
Thanks

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #26 of 28
Tough call. I have those Complys (gray, right?), and sitting them side by side, the medium black Shures seem closer (based on thickness). The small Shures are more narrow. If this makes any sense, the gray Complys (which are called short) are just a little taller but also thicker than the Shure smalls, but not quite as tall as the Shure mediums.

Hope that helps.

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #27 of 28
I think the black tips are the best things since toaster strudels. I don't seem to have a problem with the elasticity of the foamies, though, true, they do tend to spring back quite easily, but they don't expand to their full shape for a good ten, seconds, more than enough time for me to stick them in. It's good to hear that the black foamies are meant to be just shoved in as they are, because I often did that with the yellow ones (which I also liked so much I stuck e2c foamies on all of my earphones, including my CX300). The black foamies are great because they seem lower maintenance, feel better (no more itchy porous yellow foam), and look great! I remember getting so many weird looks because of the yellow foam (why do you have earplugs on your headphones?).

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #28 of 28
I hope people heed sugarfried's warning regarding the size of the black inserts. I used the large size of the yellow foamies so I ordered the large black inserts. I thought my ear canals were large but the large black foamies actually result in pain after a while. The isolation and sound qualities are superb but I'm guessing the medium black would be more alike in size to the large yellow foamies. One look at the two types of large foamies, side by side, will make it obvious that the large olives are quite a bit larger than the large yellows. I'll be trying the medium olives soon. Shure still rules. After a year my E4s developed a crackling in one phone. In a week I had a new pair after providing some documentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back