Shure AONIC 50 -
Apr 2, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,096 of 1,309
Long time lurker on this site, but I finally made an account to ask about these headphones. I bought a pair a week ago and am very impressed with the sound (I have the Shure 840s and se215s and these are significantly nicer sounding than those). My only concern is that I hear a weird rattle or movement in the left earpiece when I move my head. I can replicate it by slightly shaking the headphones when off my head. I noticed a couple of other people have mentioned this in the thread, so before I get them replaced I wanted to know how widespread this issue is. Will I just be getting another pair with the same problem?
And thanks for the advice from years of lurking, hopefully I can be more helpful to others in the future.
I have mentioned this earlier a slight knocking in time with my movement if used whilst walking. Only happens with the ANC on though for me, FWIW I have decided to return mine.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,097 of 1,309
Not sure why but the price has dropped a lot on Amazon UK recently – brown has been £203 for a while and now white is £197 (that's including 20% VAT). Every time I log in it's in my face but sadly not for me.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,098 of 1,309
Last night, after having some problems with the multipoint connection, I reset settings. I paired the headphones again with my iphone and in the bluetooth settings something new came up: some "Sure 50 Control" besides the Shure 50. The headphones were bypassing the controls in the phone, and I could only turn up the volume with the headphone.
Weird, but it sounded better, with what seemed (I may have just fooled myself) a more rounded sound.
That bypassing only happened once. After I switched the headphones off and used them again today, I could control volume again from the phone.
But that Shure 50 Control thing is still in the bluetooth devices list. And now everytime I want to use the headphones I have to pair again because the first time I use them the headphones are not detected by the Shure app. Neither can I play music from any other app.
I need to turn the headphones off and pair again.
Even though the Aonic 50 is supposed to be connected.
Weird software issue, I guess.
I have the latest firmware, so no way to fix this with an upgrade.
The App uses one of the two possible Bluetooth connections under the name “Shure 50 Control”. Meaning you can’t connect with the App if there isn’t a free connection available. Also you cannot connect a second device to the Aonic through Bluetooth as long as the App is using the “Shure 50 Control” connection. So kill the App after usage if you need to connect a second device.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #1,099 of 1,309
Not sure why but the price has dropped a lot on Amazon UK recently – brown has been £203 for a while and now white is £197 (that's including 20% VAT). Every time I log in it's in my face but sadly not for me.
The Aonic 50 has gotten a lot of bad rap in reviews, mainly because of its ANC and other fluff. Very few reviews took the time to actually look into the (non-ANC, non-DSP) sound quality. Even rtings only measured ANC=on performance. It seems likely Shure has been dropping the price because of disappointing sales.

Apr 4, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,100 of 1,309
According to the official specs, the impedance is 39 ohm with a 97.5 dB/mW sensitivity. I'm guessing this is in active mode, because in passive, wired, it would mean it's more or less as hard to drive as the HD650. But that's definitely not my experience.
Do manufacturers usually give two sets of specs: one for active and one for passive mode?

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,101 of 1,309
The Aonic 50 has gotten a lot of bad rap in reviews, mainly because of its ANC and other fluff. Very few reviews took the time to actually look into the (non-ANC, non-DSP) sound quality. Even rtings only measured ANC=on performance. It seems likely Shure has been dropping the price because of disappointing sales.

That’s just sad. I’ve heard Shure has been behaving badly with retailers on this issue. At least in Europe. In Spain and Portugal I’m sure of this.

It’s just sad that a very good pair of headphones, in my opinion, is marred by bad commercial decisions. And to watch it’s reviews being biased by this... is very bad.

At least some people will get the headphones at a better price but the market should be driven by quality and not distributors/retailers relationships. Nowadays a brand will just drop a product and not develop on it further if the “budget” they envisioned for it is not met. And that’s bad for us music lovers.

I love them. I believe Shure has done a great job with these. And I’ll keep recommending them everyday!

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,102 of 1,309
Just jumped back to the thread - I'm selling mine and wanted to gauge pricing. Thats mad at £200 - the white's still at £270, dunno why. Think I also need to drop my price a little, a bit of a hit from what I bought at!

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,103 of 1,309
Very few reviews took the time to actually look into the (non-ANC, non-DSP) sound quality. Even rtings only measured ANC=on performance.
Measurements in all modes here on a GRAS system :
https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/test-results-manufacturers-q-t-shure-aonic-50
ANC max actually makes the response more linear below 1khz over other modes (still quite a few problems). Above 1khz response doesn't change to a significant degree in all modes (or at least not enough that it can't be attributed to reseats / measurement variations).

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,104 of 1,309
Just received the Aonic 50's a couple of hours ago, for the price (240 EUR) they're really really good.

Pros

+ Fairly comfortable
+ Supports the most important audio codecs (LDAC,APTX, APTX LL)
+ Button controls instead of touch
+ Awesome sound signature
+ ANC/Ambient Mode
+ Solid connection and easy set up
+ USB dac mode (whilst charging as well)
+ Passive 3.5 mm mode
+ Removable earpads
+ Multipoint connection

Cons

- Buttons feels flimsy and not so tactile
- Huge case
- Primitive app
- Mediocre battery life
- Mediocre ANC/Ambient mode

They pretty much nailed everything that a audio company should be good at (sound quality, build quality, USB dac/3.5mm passive and removable earpads), but they did fell short on the more tech-related stuff.

A promising first gen product to say the least.

I'm really glad that they decided to give us a passive mode along with removable earpads, this means that these headphones could still be rocking 10 years if the build quality delivers.

Attachments

• PXL_20210408_134420896.jpg
    PXL_20210408_134420896.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,105 of 1,309
Is the battery way better than the advertised 20h or is there some battery status bugg?

Im mostly connected to my PC with an USB cable, so they're mostly at full charge.

But when I do use then wirelessy with my phone I just can't seem to drain them. The longest I've gone was around 4h, that left me with around 95% left.

I very rarely use ANC, but I do use LDAC with mostly max volume.

What's your take on the non ANC battery life?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,106 of 1,309
Just received the Aonic 50's a couple of hours ago, for the price (240 EUR) they're really really good.

+ Fairly comfortable
+ Supports the most important audio codecs (LDAC,APTX, APTX LL)
+ Button controls instead of touch
+ Awesome sound signature
+ ANC/Ambient Mode
+ Solid connection and easy set up
+ USB dac mode (whilst charging as well)
+ Passive 3.5 mm mode
+ Removable earpads
+ Multipoint connection

Cons

- Buttons feels flimsy and not so tactile
- Huge case
- Primitive app
- Mediocre battery life
- Mediocre ANC/Ambient mode

They pretty much nailed everything that a audio company should be good at (sound quality, build quality, USB dac/3.5mm passive and removable earpads), but they did fell short on the more tech-related stuff.

A promising first gen product to say the least.

I'm really glad that they decided to give us a passive mode along with removable earpads, this means that these headphones could still be rocking 10 years if the build quality de
There are no earpads to buy yet.....and maybe never, due to poor sales which would be brutal....

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,110 of 1,309
Was listening to Greta Van Fleet's new album last night with these as well as some Scar Symmetry. These have been out of the steady rotation for a while, only getting used once a month or so, but man..Guitars sound sooo good on the Aonic 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back