Shure AONIC 50 -
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #871 of 1,309
Anyone know if you can turn off the annoying beep when you reach the max volume? It stops me from listening to the music for a second. So far the biggest annoyance about these headphones.
You can turn the tones off entirely through the Shure PLAY app (tap on the three dots in the upper right hand corner of the paired headphones picture). Not sure if that will address the max volume beep, but it's worth a try!

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #872 of 1,309
You can turn the tones off entirely through the Shure PLAY app (tap on the three dots in the upper right hand corner of the paired headphones picture). Not sure if that will address the max volume beep, but it's worth a try!

Yes, it does, but it also turns off the prompts. I like hearing "power on", "power off" and "bluetooth pairing mode on." So, made it "low volume." That combined with turning off music normalisation makes it a very very minor annoyance.

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #873 of 1,309
I’ve had these headphones for a couple of weeks now and so far I am really pleased with them, in fact they have been a bit of a revelation when it comes to Bluetooth ANC headphones. This is my first foray into Shure headphones (i’ve owned several IEMs) and I am extremely impressed.

I have owned a various number of different tier Bluetooth ANC headphones in the past and had numerous issues with them all either due to sound quality, comfort and/or connectivity, which in the end made me skeptical about buying another pair and giving up on this genre of headphone.

However, based on a number of mainly positive (and a few negative) reviews I decided to take a leap of faith and purchased a brown pair from Amazon.

So far I have been surprisingly overwhelmed by the sound quality - listening using LDAC codec these sound nothing like no other ANC Bluetooth headphone I’ve either owned or listened to previously.

In fact in ANC mode I forget that these are actually delivering the level of sound quality afforded to these type of headphones. Tbh I slightly prefer the sound in normal passive mode but that’s not to say listening in ANC mode is inferior, just a slightly different sound. I don’t find the ANC on these to be sub par or terrible like I have read in some other reviews. Granted they are not the best at cancelling out all external noise but they do the job without compromising the sound.

I have tried them in wired mode using the stock cable and again I have been most impressed by the sound, so much so that I have taken heed of the advice given in this forum and I am currently awaiting delivery of an OIDIO pellucid cable where I am looking forward to hearing how these sound hooked using a higher quality cable.

I’ve basically got a great sounding headphone which has 3 different sound profiles which I enjoy each individually in their own right, something that I’ve never ever experienced before with the other Bluetooth ANC headphones I’ve owned. Absolutely marvellous!

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #874 of 1,309
I’ve had these headphones for a couple of weeks now and so far I am really pleased with them, in fact they have been a bit of a revelation when it comes to Bluetooth ANC headphones. This is my first foray into Shure headphones (i’ve owned several IEMs) and I am extremely impressed.

I have owned a various number of different tier Bluetooth ANC headphones in the past and had numerous issues with them all either due to sound quality, comfort and/or connectivity, which in the end made me skeptical about buying another pair and giving up on this genre of headphone.

However, based on a number of mainly positive (and a few negative) reviews I decided to take a leap of faith and purchased a brown pair from Amazon.

So far I have been surprisingly overwhelmed by the sound quality - listening using LDAC codec these sound nothing like no other ANC Bluetooth headphone I’ve either owned or listened to previously.

In fact in ANC mode I forget that these are actually delivering the level of sound quality afforded to these type of headphones. Tbh I slightly prefer the sound in normal passive mode but that’s not to say listening in ANC mode is inferior, just a slightly different sound. I don’t find the ANC on these to be sub par or terrible like I have read in some other reviews. Granted they are not the best at cancelling out all external noise but they do the job without compromising the sound.

I have tried them in wired mode using the stock cable and again I have been most impressed by the sound, so much so that I have taken heed of the advice given in this forum and I am currently awaiting delivery of an OIDIO pellucid cable where I am looking forward to hearing how these sound hooked using a higher quality cable.

I’ve basically got a great sounding headphone which has 3 different sound profiles which I enjoy each individually in their own right, something that I’ve never ever experienced before with the other Bluetooth ANC headphones I’ve owned. Absolutely marvellous!

That's great! Although I should say, there's no such thing as better sound from higher quality cables.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #875 of 1,309
So I finally got this today, and I'm sorry to say but I not finding most of what you have said to be true.

I won’t say you’re wrong, we all have different preferences and experience but there is such a thing as “buyer’s bias”. You buy something new and you want it to work out for the sake of your wallet, or because you subliminally really wanted it. This is why “I just got this today” is generally an unreliable impression and it happens a lot on this forum.
(Admittedly, it's a little funny when someone who's had it for a day tells someone who had it for over a week that they need more time with it :wink:

“Hey, audiojunkie69 said this thing doesn’t have bass, but it totally has bass!” Is not the same as identifying exact properties in the sound or where it lacks in comparison to other cans. I was impressed on day one but found some personal issues after almost a week with it.
Like I said, it’s a great headphone at the price and the sound is more than sufficient. It's not lacking in musicality, it just leans more into analytical and thin than what I would consider "listener neutral".
This is coming from experience with cans like the LCD-1, PSB M4U 2 and HD600. I have heard everything the Aonic does well in other cans, but with more body and a better timbre than what it could provide. I would go so far as to say the AKG K371 sounded more well-rounded, but lacking in the raw detail and resolution these have.

Listener history helps this along, and for all I know you were coming from a Bose QuietComfort! Of course they'd be earth-shattering in that context. If the Shures are the most expensive cans you buy, they will blow most other wireless/NC cans away.
For anyone who has the chance to listen to these, I found Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna do" almost has a divet carved out of the sound. The usual tactile weight of the acoustics that come in during the chorus is not very present. The presence of the overall song is reduced, although it has great separation and texture. It was a little dry for a usually poppy track.

On the contrary, a very essential point:
I've found that when someone wants to like a headphone, they will. There are very very few "bad" headphones these days, and the brain is incredibly malleable...something that sounds lacking at first can become very enjoyable over time as the user acclimates.

Anyway, please excuse the spiel. I stand by my assessment, and only provide it to help influence other's purchasing decisions. Enjoy your Aonics!!! It sounds like they are exactly what you were looking for, and who am I to take away from feeling like you spent your money well :beyersmile:

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #876 of 1,309
I won’t say you’re wrong, we all have different preferences and experience but there is such a thing as “buyer’s bias”. You buy something new and you want it to work out for the sake of your wallet, or because you subliminally really wanted it. This is why “I just got this today” is generally an unreliable impression and it happens a lot on this forum.
(Admittedly, it's a little funny when someone who's had it for a day tells someone who had it for over a week that they need more time with it :wink:

“Hey, audiojunkie69 said this thing doesn’t have bass, but it totally has bass!” Is not the same as identifying exact properties in the sound or where it lacks in comparison to other cans. I was impressed on day one but found some personal issues after almost a week with it.
Like I said, it’s a great headphone at the price and the sound is more than sufficient. It's not lacking in musicality, it just leans more into analytical and thin than what I would consider "listener neutral".
This is coming from experience with cans like the LCD-1, PSB M4U 2 and HD600. I have heard everything the Aonic does well in other cans, but with more body and a better timbre than what it could provide. I would go so far as to say the AKG K371 sounded more well-rounded, but lacking in the raw detail and resolution these have.

Listener history helps this along, and for all I know you were coming from a Bose QuietComfort! Of course they'd be earth-shattering in that context. If the Shures are the most expensive cans you buy, they will blow most other wireless/NC cans away.
For anyone who has the chance to listen to these, I found Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna do" almost has a divet carved out of the sound. The usual tactile weight of the acoustics that come in during the chorus is not very present. The presence of the overall song is reduced, although it has great separation and texture. It was a little dry for a usually poppy track.

On the contrary, a very essential point: I've found that when someone wants to like a headphone, they will. There are very very few "bad" headphones these days, and the brain is incredibly malleable...something that sounds lacking at first can become very enjoyable over time as the user acclimates.

Anyway, please excuse the spiel. I stand by my assessment, and only provide it to help influence other's purchasing decisions. Enjoy your Aonics!!! It sounds like they are exactly what you were looking for, and who am I to take away from feeling like you spent your money well :beyersmile:

Well, the bias can go both ways! I'm in the US with a very generous return policy. There's no reason to have to like the headphones! I would've actually been happier if it was closer to how you described it. But, when I tried to use it as a monitor for my playing, the sound was definitely a bit bass heavy although sounded fairly flat from there. It was also only okay for listening to songs slowed down. But, as far as wireless headphones go, I have not heard anything better, so I will actually be using it for song transcription - no wires is great. Just not for monitoring.

Two of those three headphones are open. Of course they are going to sound different. I'm not a fan of the PSB for many reasons.

I don't usually listen to songs similar to All I Wanna Do, but I just did with this headphones, a couple of others, and speakers, and I'm not sure what you are referring to. I'm definitely not hearing that. I'm thinking you should try another pair before giving up? It's possible you have a defective pair? Anyway, I enjoyed listening to that song. Definitely sounded fun through the AONIC. I'm most likely keeping it, only because I have not heard better wireless headphones before. I'm not going to be using ANC.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #877 of 1,309
Thanks for the suggestion of the song! And about the sound: This song sounds a bit better on my Beyerdynamics 770 Pro’s, but I still very much enjoy the Aonic’s. Switching on ANC helped somewhat with the sound signature but was more noisy and with less detail.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #879 of 1,309
@fret Fair enough. We have different preferences and I'll leave it at that, as much as I attempted to be objective in my writeups.
I suggest that you don't project any biases onto my assessment though: I'm fully aware of the difference in return policies, the expected differences in sound between open/closed, the natural timbre of acoustic instruments (I play a few myself), acknowledging and removing one's own use case from an assessment designed to help others with a wide diversity of criteria, etc.

The PSB M4U 2 had a widely acclaimed sound (the build is a different story :unamused:) both here and in the wider consumer landscape, so I daresay your tastes are potentially an outlier.
My prior headphone experience, analysis and reasoning for that analysis is there for people to peruse anytime if they're interested. I don't mean to bust anyone's balls: just explain my position to onlookers to better assist in their decisions.
Considering I no longer own the Aonics, I will make space in this thread for others to relay their experiences.

Enjoy your new cans :)!

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #880 of 1,309
Is the audio connector on the AONIC 50 a 2.5mm female?
Yes, but the plug needs to have an extended shank. See my earlier postings about the Oidio custom cable, and an inexpensive aftermarket cable or an adapter you can get via Amazon.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #881 of 1,309
@fret Fair enough. We have different preferences and I'll leave it at that, as much as I attempted to be objective in my writeups.
I suggest that you don't project any biases onto my assessment though: I'm fully aware of the difference in return policies, the expected differences in sound between open/closed, the natural timbre of acoustic instruments (I play a few myself), acknowledging and removing one's own use case from an assessment designed to help others with a wide diversity of criteria, etc.

The PSB M4U 2 had a widely acclaimed sound (the build is a different story :unamused:) both here and in the wider consumer landscape, so I daresay your tastes are potentially an outlier.
My prior headphone experience, analysis and reasoning for that analysis is there for people to peruse anytime if they're interested. I don't mean to bust anyone's balls: just explain my position to onlookers to better assist in their decisions.
Considering I no longer own the Aonics, I will make space in this thread for others to relay their experiences.

Enjoy your new cans :)!

Yes, it felt cheap and uncomfortable (for me), and the sound was okay. Improved a bit with the amp off.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #882 of 1,309
Yes, but the plug needs to have an extended shank. See my earlier postings about the Oidio custom cable, and an inexpensive aftermarket cable or an adapter you can get via Amazon.

Sorry, just went through about 10 pages of your past posts, and couldn't find the other cable or the adapter you were referring to. I found posts about the UGREEN USB-C cable, some posts about the 2.5 mm with large shank, and Shure customer service emails but not those two. I think I'm not technologically savvy. Any chance you have those links on hand? The custom cable is too expensive for a cable, so just the other two would help. Thanks.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #883 of 1,309
Sorry, just went through about 10 pages of your past posts, and couldn't find the other cable or the adapter you were referring to. I found posts about the UGREEN USB-C cable, some posts about the 2.5 mm with large shank, and Shure customer service emails but not those two. I think I'm not technologically savvy. Any chance you have those links on hand? The custom cable is too expensive for a cable, so just the other two would help. Thanks.
(2 Pack) Gold Plated 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Stereo Audio Headphone Adapter Converter Jack Aux Plug for Smartphones, Tablets, Speakers, Microphone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPQOBMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back