Shure AONIC 50 -
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #706 of 1,309
This is never my experience with leather. I have the b&w p7 wireless with leather earpads for more than 3,5 years. I using it a lot for 3 years and the earpads are looking like the first day. In the 2 times I owning the momentum 3 I never having problem with heat or sweat either. In contrast, with ALL artificial leather headphones this is always a problem. b&o and sennheiser continuing using leather, b&w not anymore.

I sold my T5p 1. gen several years ago to a friend, and some months ago I saw it again -- he did still have and use them. And they did show stains and decaying leather. But it was more than 5. years old at that point, and he used them a lot more than I did. Plus the pads were a rather light brown, not dark or even black.
The T5p 2. gen. Did not get that much use, so I cannot comment from my own experience. What I said above comes from the Beyerdynamic product manager. He also told me that the specific pleather they were using was not cheaper than real leather btw., so its not a cost thing in every case.

I once owned the original Momentum and did sweat under its pads... but they were so cramped that they were mostly on-ear for me anyway. Therefore I did not own them long enough for registering leather decay or even stains.

But as I said, it may depend on the type of leather used. But in general leather does suck up water etc if not treated. And I don't know which of those treatments one would like to have directly on face skin.

Overall I think sweating is also dependent on the person, and there are no sweat-free pads if it only gets warm enough and one wears the headphone for long enough. I solved this by using in-ears when on the go, while I generally don't have a problem while at home or at the office, working/reading etc.

So, my point is: the Aonic is not especially sweat provoking and worked well for me during this summer.

It would be great if companies offered the option for both - honestly don't see why they not. I tend to switch in my preference between leather and non leather so I like optionality.

That would be nice of course, but I guess its a spare part problem: you then have to offer two different configurations for each headphone (different part numbers with separate inventory), keep inventory of both pad types available, keep track which model uses which variant for repair/replacement cases etc. Plus some people believe in a vegan lifestyle and don't want leather pads... Obviously this is not my choice of lifestyle :wink:
The manufacturers seem to happily cede this market to third party suppliers of pads I guess.

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #707 of 1,309
I sold my T5p 1. gen several years ago to a friend, and some months ago I saw it again -- he did still have and use them. And they did show stains and decaying leather. But it was more than 5. years old at that point, and he used them a lot more than I did. Plus the pads were a rather light brown, not dark or even black.
The T5p 2. gen. Did not get that much use, so I cannot comment from my own experience. What I said above comes from the Beyerdynamic product manager. He also told me that the specific pleather they were using was not cheaper than real leather btw., so its not a cost thing in every case.

I once owned the original Momentum and did sweat under its pads... but they were so cramped that they were mostly on-ear for me anyway. Therefore I did not own them long enough for registering leather decay or even stains.

But as I said, it may depend on the type of leather used. But in general leather does suck up water etc if not treated. And I don't know which of those treatments one would like to have directly on face skin.

Overall I think sweating is also dependent on the person, and there are no sweat-free pads if it only gets warm enough and one wears the headphone for long enough. I solved this by using in-ears when on the go, while I generally don't have a problem while at home or at the office, working/reading etc.

So, my point is: the Aonic is not especially sweat provoking and worked well for me during this summer.

That would be nice of course, but I guess its a spare part problem: you then have to offer two different configurations for each headphone (different part numbers with separate inventory), keep inventory of both pad types available, keep track which model uses which variant for repair/replacement cases etc. Plus some people believe in a vegan lifestyle and don't want leather pads... Obviously this is not my choice of lifestyle :wink:
The manufacturers seem to happily cede this market to third party suppliers of pads I guess.

Yes, I understanding what you're saying. My point is that with leather my ears never getting so hot, never. I using even today my sony xm3 when I'm hoovering and is terrible after only 10-15 minutes. I must taking off, wait little and continue with hoovering.

With my p7 wireless and now, too, with my b&o h95 I can wearing for 4,6,8+ hours and never having a problem. Is a fact that plastic earpads generating heat more easily than leather ( like the sony, shure, bose, dali earpads, etc). This isn't a problem for some people because we are all different, but is a problem too for many people. Is rare people having same heat and sweat problem with leather earpads.

Oh, and plastic earpads becoming damaged more easily than leather too. For expensive headphones, leather or plastic, having possibility of easy changing the earpads is important, I think. I think aonic 50 isn't offering easy option for this (like bose headphones).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #708 of 1,309
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #709 of 1,309
Yes, I understanding what you're saying. My point is that with leather my ears never getting so hot, never. I using even today my sony xm3 when I'm hoovering and is terrible after only 10-15 minutes. I must taking off, wait little and continue with hoovering.

With my p7 wireless and now, too, with my b&o h95 I can wearing for 4,6,8+ hours and never having a problem. Is a fact that plastic earpads generating heat more easily than leather ( like the sony, shure, bose, dali earpads, etc). This isn't a problem for some people because we are all different, but is a problem too for many people. Is rare people having same heat and sweat problem with leather earpads.

Oh, and plastic earpads becoming damaged more easily than leather too. For expensive headphones, leather or plastic, having possibility of easy changing the earpads is important, I think. I think aonic 50 isn't offering easy option for this (like bose headphones).

I do like leather pads more as well, but high quality pleather (I'd differentiate those materials from plastic) are much better nowadays, some to a level where I don't mind anymore actually.

Cheaper variants are most definitely sweaty, no question about that. Cheap pads on a K242 or something like that... really bad, and to me unusable.

The Aonic uses a bajonett system, so technically its easy to change the pads (just twist them off/on)... but alternatives are not readily available. There I think the simple concept with lips (like DT770 and many others use) is better since it makes pads more interchangeable. The H95 uses magnetically attached pads, or does it? So it would only work with its own pads as well?

Regarding damage: that depends dry much on the actual material. And there's a really wide range... from those real plasticky pads used with German Maestro Models used for demo stations in shops up to materials used on the T5p or the D9200. The latter being more prone to damage, while the German Maestros survive accidents with cars :wink:

D889D366-D5C9-4798-AD34-BEC4AA989839.jpeg

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #710 of 1,309
The Aonic uses a bajonett system, so technically its easy to change the pads (just twist them off/on)... but alternatives are not readily available.

I forgetting this, that is possible changing the earpads, even if made of artificial leather.

The H95 uses magnetically attached pads, or does it? So it would only work with its own pads as well?

Yes, magnetically attached similar like the p7 wireless.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #712 of 1,309
Nov 26, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #713 of 1,309
I find them very flexible

Order placed. I'll compare them to the UGreen cable. After all, "He who dies with the most cables wins."

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #714 of 1,309
Order placed. I'll compare them to the UGreen cable. After all, "He who dies with the most cables wins."

Correct. Cables are the only things we can actually take with us when time is up :wink:
I#ve worker towards that... I own several 100 meters of 380V/32A cable, about as much 220V/16A cable, ca. 100m 4-pole Speakon cables and XLR cables to pull a Christo on my house. In blue, no less.

Actually a more flexible USB-C cable would come in handy on many occasions... most are quite stiff and not even good for charging I think. I'll take a look.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #715 of 1,309
Sometimes I‘ve similar problems with other ANC models, where they try to cancel out some low frequency noise (such as closing subway doors) and simply are unable to do so, generating excessivedriver excursion while trying.

maybe try to reduce the ANC level?
I don’t think I noticed any difference at all between Max or Normal noise canceling. I owned Bose 700 before, and they had not this issue. The Aonic sounds really great, but I’m not sure that I can handle this issue over long period of time.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #716 of 1,309
I don’t think I noticed any difference at all between Max or Normal noise canceling. I owned Bose 700 before, and they had not this issue. The Aonic sounds really great, but I’m not sure that I can handle this issue over long period of time.

Did you check the settings for 'normal' in the Shure app? Maybe the level is just the same as max? The ambience feature is turned off?
I guess this does not occur when ANC is off, correct? If it still does, then there's something else at fault...

Unfortunately I can't provide much guidance since I don't use ANC at all... just tried it once on the Aonic, even weeks after buying them, but kept it disabled ever since.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #717 of 1,309
Well with the black friday deals, in the UK the price of £269 is rather good to pass up. I liked the sound when testing and comfort was good. I think I'm getting white!

I thought I'd double check that there are no issues with calls - Zoom is going to be a massive usage for these....

For that price, just get them. You won’t regret it. They feel like 400€. And sound wise they are amazing, linear, real and exciting.

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #718 of 1,309
I have another question, and I know this is a longshot. Anybody test these out on a PS5 with the USB C connection?

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #719 of 1,309
Well they’re here! Nice packaging though the hardcase is a bit big, then again the headphones aren’t exactly small with no folding hinge. That’s fine for my usage, but definitely an issue if I was wanting to use these for commuting daily. Also liking the white/beige colour - let’s see how dirty they get!

Need to test noise cancelling more, but i wouldn’t say it’s the biggest strength. If I set it to max via the app, not that easy for my iPhone XS to drive - higher than I would have thought and I don’t tend to listen to that high volumes.

On to sound - overall very pleasant to listen to. Ok not as much bass ‘slam’ and I can see why some will complain - I’d like a bit more oomph with the drums on some tracks. But the rest is pretty darn good - good soundstage, separation and no issues with mids and highs. I’ll check with my Fiio M11 later to see the difference with LDAC.

Comfort seems ok as well - I’m not a big fan of over heads and tend to use in ears, so happy about that as I will be using these for calls a lot.

That’s it for now!

Attachments

• EACBAA2C-7C0C-4B6E-86D6-57BF0327005C.jpeg
    EACBAA2C-7C0C-4B6E-86D6-57BF0327005C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back