Shure AONIC 50 -
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #691 of 1,309
Nice option to have when you want to charge and listen simultaneously. Still haven't found a good USB C cable for this use, though—every reasonable quality one I've tried is heavy and stiff and virtually the opposite of a nice braided aux cable when it comes to microphonics/ergonomics.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #692 of 1,309
The AONIC 50 is an excellent sounding headset regardless of connection method; probably the most neutral, revealing, and versatile wireless headset for $400. A steal for $300.

Only real drawback: it's big.

I don't care about big (everything else I own is big too). The only thing I'm worried about with these is they are closed backs with leather pads. Pretty much a guarantee they'll get hot quickly. Years ago I remember hearing this brand made excellent studio headphones and I've been curious to try them.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #693 of 1,309
I have a UGreen cable from Amazon. More flexible than some others, and this one has a right angle connector that I like for use with my laptop. The cables rated for higher electrical power transmission for charging and faster data transfer are significantly stiffer and larger in diameter, as are Thunderbolt 3 cables. I do have some extremely flexible USB-C cables from Amazon, but they're very short. Search for JXMOX cables and see if they come in long lengths.

Nice option to have when you want to charge and listen simultaneously. Still haven't found a good USB C cable for this use, though—every reasonable quality one I've tried is heavy and stiff and virtually the opposite of a nice braided aux cable when it comes to microphonics/ergonomics.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #695 of 1,309
I don't care about big (everything else I own is big too). The only thing I'm worried about with these is they are closed backs with leather pads. Pretty much a guarantee they'll get hot quickly. Years ago I remember hearing this brand made excellent studio headphones and I've been curious to try them.

The Aonic 50 don't having leather ear pads, they are plastic / artificial leather. This is the main reason I stopping using this headphone because my ears getting hot and sometimes sweating too (is more aspects I don't liking in Aonic 50 too). Only the momentum 3, master & dynamic and bang & olufsen headphones have leather earpads. I don't having this problem with heat and sweat when the headphone having leather earpads.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #696 of 1,309
I bought my Aonic 50 yesterday but when I took the bus I suddenly noticed thumping noise as soon the bus was moving a little bit.
really irritating. This was really obvious in active noise canceling mode. Anyone experienced this before? Thanks!

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #697 of 1,309
White... nice :) Please post some photos.
I've only checked a USB connection from my iPad, but never used that... I really like that they are wireless actually. Do you have a special use case for using them wired?

The below is pretty much my reason scenario for not being wireless. I don't see it happening often though. Oh and curiosity to see how much difference in sound quality!

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #698 of 1,309
I got a cable from Amazon, Riitop, 1.5m long so has enough length that it doesn't get pulled taught so easily as a shorter length.

Riitop cable

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #699 of 1,309
Nice — thanks for the tip! I’ll take a look.

I am using Startech Thunderbolt 3 cables (for multiple purposes). They are sturdy but flexible. Support 40Gbps data transfer and I can use those even to charge my (any) USB-C powered laptop up to 100w ....

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #700 of 1,309
The below is pretty much my reason scenario for not being wireless. I don't see it happening often though. Oh and curiosity to see how much difference in sound quality!

I see. Guess I have too many headphones for this specific scenario... which are all happy to get some headtime while one is charging :wink:

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #701 of 1,309
I bought my Aonic 50 yesterday but when I took the bus I suddenly noticed thumping noise as soon the bus was moving a little bit.
really irritating. This was really obvious in active noise canceling mode. Anyone experienced this before? Thanks!

Sometimes I‘ve similar problems with other ANC models, where they try to cancel out some low frequency noise (such as closing subway doors) and simply are unable to do so, generating excessivedriver excursion while trying.

maybe try to reduce the ANC level?

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #702 of 1,309
The Aonic 50 don't having leather ear pads, they are plastic / artificial leather. This is the main reason I stopping using this headphone because my ears getting hot and sometimes sweating too (is more aspects I don't liking in Aonic 50 too). Only the momentum 3, master & dynamic and bang & olufsen headphones have leather earpads. I don't having this problem with heat and sweat when the headphone having leather earpads.

From the feeling on my skin I prefer leather pads too. Unfortunately they tend to suck up sweat and start to degrade faster... this was the reason Beyerdynamic switched from real leather on the T5p first gen to (a very good and supple) pleather on gen 2: the leather was a major reason for repairs.

Ultrasone claim to have solved this by using some special sheepskin leather... I don’t know about their longterm experience though.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #703 of 1,309
I see. Guess I have too many headphones for this specific scenario... which are all happy to get some headtime while one is charging :wink:

In theory when I'm 'working' I have my IEMs in and listening from my DAP. Calls are through the laptop. But damn, so much time on calls and then constant changing becomes a pain, so staying just connected to the laptop will likely be a happen a lot. I also have my true wireless, but tbh I hate them for calls so just wear them when out and about.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #704 of 1,309
From the feeling on my skin I prefer leather pads too. Unfortunately they tend to suck up sweat and start to degrade faster...

This is never my experience with leather. I have the b&w p7 wireless with leather earpads for more than 3,5 years. I using it a lot for 3 years and the earpads are looking like the first day. In the 2 times I owning the momentum 3 I never having problem with heat or sweat either. In contrast, with ALL artificial leather headphones this is always a problem. b&o and sennheiser continuing using leather, b&w not anymore.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #705 of 1,309
This is never my experience with leather. I have the b&w p7 wireless with leather earpads for more than 3,5 years. I using it a lot for 3 years and the earpads are looking like the first day. In the 2 times I owning the momentum 3 I never having problem with heat or sweat either. In contrast, with ALL artificial leather headphones this is always a problem. b&o and sennheiser continuing using leather, b&w not anymore.

It would be great if companies offered the option for both - honestly don't see why they not. I tend to switch in my preference between leather and non leather so I like optionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back