Shure AONIC 50 -
Sep 6, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #481 of 1,309
Sep 6, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #482 of 1,309
The AONIC 50 charges faster when being fed from a high-output transformer and a USB-C cable capable of supporting a fast charge.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #483 of 1,309
So after a month of near-daily Aonic 50 listening, I wanted to share a few more impressions I've formed during that time.
  • It took a little bit of time for me to really acclimate to the sound—especially coming from the sledgehammer bass and sculpted mids/highs of the PX7—but I am extremely satisfied with it now. The layering and nuance is truly delightful with these. Well-mastered stuff with good dynamic range (like Lorde and Interpol) hits a sweet spot of being both musical and revealing, and at comfortable volume levels to boot. It's a great balance that prior to now I hadn't experienced.
  • I know the Shure Play app gets a bit of flack for being little more than a settings panel tacked onto a media player but it serves a really nice purpose on iOS given how literally non-functional the system EQ options are. I find myself using it to add some sub- and mid-bass weight when listening to compressed, loudly-mastered stuff. I really like that Shure built a simple but actually-useful EQ and resisted the urge to create some sort of bull abstracted interface.
  • Someone mentioned that these shine when driven passively through a good source and I completely agree. I really like the Dragonfly Cobalt and to my ear, there's a noticeable improvement especially in layering and bass slam. Passive, wired enjoyment isn't quite a dealbreaker for me when it comes to headphones but it really does make the Aonic 50 one of the most versatile sets in its league. I find myself plugging it in more often that I would've expected.
  • They're still a bit heavy but they feel robust, and even more comfortable as time passes. No build issues that I've noticed.
  • I recently picked up a TW1 to use with its little brother, the SE846, and am thrilled with that combination as well. The consistency in sound between these two siblings is wonderful and gives me a great amount of flexibility based on what I feel like wearing at any given time.
I know I'm not really adding anything new to the discussion, but I've been appreciating these even more as time goes by. I wouldn't expect an Aonic 50 successor anytime soon (if their IEM line is any indication of their long-game approach to product lifecycle) but if and when that happens, I hope they focus on size, weight, portability, and materials since they've already pretty much knocked sound quality and comfort out of the park :beyersmile:

shure.png

Good post. I share the same opinion on the A50’s after a month now. Really great headphones.
I do have a question about the DAC. I understood they did not run passive and that they’re internal DAC was always on, is this correct?
If so, you’re running a DAC before they’re internal one, is it worth it? I would like to own a Cobalt...
Also, you’ve removed the little tabs that say “remove”. Do the arms touch or scratch the cups?
Cheers.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #484 of 1,309
Good post. I share the same opinion on the A50’s after a month now. Really great headphones.
I do have a question about the DAC. I understood they did not run passive and that they’re internal DAC was always on, is this correct?
If so, you’re running a DAC before they’re internal one, is it worth it? I would like to own a Cobalt...
Also, you’ve removed the little tabs that say “remove”. Do the arms touch or scratch the cups?
Cheers.

The Shure Aonic 50 can be used fully passively. No need to switch them on for that ... Makes it absolutely worthwhile to order a good aftermarket cable for them ...

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #485 of 1,309
Cheers.

I‘ve removed those protective stickers immediately and don’t see any scratches on the cups so far. I don’t carry them around though, using them just at home.

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #486 of 1,309
Cheers.
Yep, as others have said these work great when used passively/powered off, so you do get the full benefit of whatever DAC you use. I also quite like the Dragonfly Cobalt, even though it seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it thing with some folks around here (largely due to its price). I think its form factor is pretty much perfect, it improves spaciousness and bass extension compared to BT/AAC, and it pulls very little power from my iPhone even after hours of usage. Surely it won’t compare to a full-sized DAC/amp setup but it is a very nice minimal package and it drives both the Aonic 50 and the SE846 extremely well (never even noticed any hiss with the SE846 which is saying something given how sensitive they are).

Also I’m guessing the soft foam removal stickers were really only there to prevent damage during shipping. I’ve gone back to using the stock carrying case for these headphones and generally keep them in there when they’re not in use, and they still look new. I guess the real durability test won’t really start until I’ve got a normal commute again and they follow me around in my backpack, but so far they they’ve held up great.

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #487 of 1,309
The Shure Aonic 50 can be used fully passively. No need to switch them on for that ... Makes it absolutely worthwhile to order a good aftermarket cable for them ...
Any you’d recommend? My experience with aftermarket cables is pretty much limited to materials and build quality (woven fabric just feels so nice), but if there’s any additional benefit to how they sound passively... even better.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #489 of 1,309
Any idea if the A215 can be considered the small TWS brother of the A50? Or they just don't sound as good?
Basically looking for some small TWS A50 xd
It's been some time I last heard the SE215, but while they are nice, the Aonic 50 sounds much better to me, esp. smoother treble (I remember the SE215 treble as a bit too hot/grainy for me)

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #491 of 1,309
Getting into earbuds and IEMs is even harder than headphones xd
Even more personal... fit issues are always a problem, and ears are quite different.

I did not want to imply that the SE215 is bad though, far from it. esp. given its price, but I know it's often used as in-ear monitoring on stage as well. It's more that I think the Aonic 50 is really good (for private use, not studio).

I bought the Aonic 215 as well, but use the hooks with my SE846 solely. Very nice, but price-wise... not so much. I already had the SE846 though. On the other hand I owned them for >5 years, and honestly I could live with them as my only pair of in-ears. So not a bad investment. A friend may be getting the SE535, might be another option that pairs well with the TW1 as an Aonic 50 alternative.

Sep 7, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #493 of 1,309
Any idea if the A215 can be considered the small TWS brother of the A50? Or they just don't sound as good?
Basically looking for some small TWS A50 xd

In principle the SE215 and SA215 are more or less at the same level.. You can basically consider the SA215 to be a SE215 + TWS1.. So nowhere near the SA50

(and that's not even considering the fact that the TWS1 only has APTX whereas the SA50 has both APTX-HD and LDAC)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back