Shure 846 vs. JH Roxanne's
Mar 1, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #76 of 113
I have both 846 and Roxanne. While the 846 seem to me a clear step up on my previous workhorse 535s, the Roxannes strike me as a
level up again. As others have said, the soundstage in particular stands out. I use and very much enjoy the Shures, especially for things like running of the gym where I wouild to want customs. But IMHO you notice the difference sound as I guess you might expect given the difference in price.

May 5, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #77 of 113
I've been a Shure fan for years and absolutely adore my 846's.  I can't get a pair of customs past my wife so that dictates my choice limitations.  That being said, I have added the custom Sensaphonic sleeves to my 846's and the difference in fit and sound quality is night and day.  Great seal every time. Fuller, deeper bass (if you can believe it) and no one asks to borrow them.  For me it's the perfect balance between a universal IEM and customs....plus, if I hadn't loved them I could have returned them.  At the $1,000+ price point that's a deal breaker for me.

May 11, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #78 of 113
Even my audio store says JH are really slow. The Roxanne's really sibilant for me, and the 846 has been rave reviewed about for customer service and sound. I got a listen at both and liked the 846 better because it sounds like a full size headphone cross with a speaker system but dumbed down into an IEM. You can't really go wrong with either choice.

May 12, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #81 of 113
I hear amazing things about JH Audio customer service too...
wink.gif

Slow about everything :wink:

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #82 of 113
Last week I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical with the Universal Roxannes without issue. They are definitely a large IEM, but at least in my case fit me very well, better than any other IEM I've used. Of course that will depends on each individuals ears and ear size. One of the reason I tend to use them more the the SE846 is how easy I can put them on and don't require seep insertion like the SE846.

But something about using such an expensive headphone at the gym where I'm going to sweat a lot while doing cardio that make me a little uneasy. Though the why they are build it would probably not be an issue. Still I started using my old SE530s that I recently got back from re-cabling.

Once get my Trinity Audio Atlas sport (kickstarter) headphones those will likely become my gym/workout headphones. I bought an extra Bluetooth cable from the kickstarter campaign to use with my SE846s, that should be interesting. Hopefully I'll end up with the best sounding BT headphones ever.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #83 of 113

I Have owned the Shure SE 846 for 3-4 months now but after hearing all the praise fro the Roxannes I eventually bought them too. Also had the chance to use The Ultimate Ears 900S, the entry level quad armature from the professional UE line
I've never owned a custom IEM, only universals so I can never compare them with a CIEM from Ultimate Ears for example

The Shure 846 have amazing sound especially considering quad drivers compared to Roxannes 12 drivers
The Shure have a easy and comfortable fit and available inline iPhone control cable if desired even though it's not included in the original 999 dollars Shure SE 846 box

Eventually I received the JH Audio Roxanne.  At first I thought I had waisted my time and money, slightly more powerful sound than the 846's but not really worth the price.  eventually after playing around with the fit I realized:  OMG, the Roxannes have amazing sound.  problem is that the good sound is a lot more fit dependent inside your ear canal.  If you have small canals forget it, the Roxannes are quite big.  But once you get a good fit, the sound is powerful, especially with bass turned all the way up.  They are cooler looking.  JH Audio takes advantage of the fact their soundstage is soooo good that they don't feel they need to give you any significant accessories and the eartips supplied are not very good, I invested on eartips from Comply, found that they give the best outside noise reduction and the Roxanne's good sound is more dependent on noise reduction than the Shure.  Also, cannot have inline control for the Roxanne due to proprietary cable for the bass control module.  

Overall, even though now I'm convinced that a Custom ear mold earphone would fit better (though never tried), I feel that owning both the Shure SE 846 and the JH Audio Roxanne i now own the ultimate sound.  Then I read about the Shure electrostatic KSE 1500 system and get depressed, but at 3000 dollars, they are really out of reach .

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #84 of 113
Yeah the Roxanne/Angie's have very good detail I tried the 846's and I was more blown away from the rox/angie.

Keep listening to them and compare at this point it's all about preference.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #85 of 113
I currently have the Shure se846s and they feel way to bassy for me, even with the white filter. The sub bass rumble it gives out is nice but they just roll off in the high end and the mid is incredibly warm. How warm are they Roxannes? are they more analytical?

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #88 of 113
I have not tried the angie or layla. The Roxanne will be the last item I ever purchase from JH. Just an ass backwards company. The layla and angie don't really do it for alot of the members here. Check out the Noble Lineup, universal series. The make quality products and have an excellent support staff/team.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #89 of 113
Thats bad news
frown.gif

have you tried the Layla or the Angie? do they sound more neutral? How do they comepare with the se846?

I have Roxanne and Layla and I agree Roxanne wouldn't be what you want, it may have more bass than the 846.  I think either Layla or Angie could be good options for you as they aren't as bass heavy as Roxanne. Plus the bass control on the cable allows you a lot of room to find the sound you want. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #90 of 113
Sounding better than the 846 is not a problem, have you west pro 50, twister did the review and said he will never envy 846 anymore, the same applies for ears is better bass and clarity with reel custom signatures, even the sony mdr 7550 has better bass, but also the xb90, plus xba a3, now something with bass but a complete smooth silky spectrum , the new prince flc8s by flc technology, I've heard 846 and I also love it , remember, there no such thing as a bad one just different signatures and styles of sound, anything above 300, is not garbage, the same as anything in 1000, but we have experience so we pick the 300 ones that compete with the 1000, that's what our hobby is, and for the xb90 to be the strongest and hardest hitting bass with a good amp and dac for the price, sony has done something great, it competes with asg 2.5 which is another king, lots of King ,just not all named edward,lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back