Shure 420 set yourself free
Jan 21, 2009 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Ok so I went through an IEM portable rig phase and did the whole somewhat ridiculous rig held together with a rubber band thing. Not to say that is not a decent way to go if you are on the go alot and a portable/transportable set up is your main thing. For me in the end it started to come down to have a great sound and having it be convenient.
The journey began with the purchase of an RSA SR71 at my first meet just days after joining headfi in late 2004. I had just picked up a pair of Grado SR80s and thought I was the man. Funny how a meet will change your views on the sound you have and alter the sound you are trying to achieve. So I purchased the amp from Ray shortly after the meet. I was perfectly happy with my grados and the sr71 but this darn site kept calling me, beckoning me to try new things. So Tyl kicks me in the pants with a killer deal on the ety 4s and an airhead amp. So I bit on the deal as the price basically gave the amp away for free.

So now I have the etys and the sr71 and damn that was a great sound mated to the RWA imod that I picked up along the way. This rig worked nice as a cigar smoking patio rig or bedroom before sleep rig when I lived with roommates.

Enter the 420 so now I get Shure 420s and plug them right into the ipod. Damn that is sweet, ok not home rig nice but the ipod>lod>amp>etys weren't as good either and honestly they were becoming a royal PITA to carry around. So after careful comparison I went minimal and to tell you the truth I think the shure 420>ipod is better sonically and almost as important for me ergonomically.

So what IEMs have I heard? I will be the first to tell you that I have not heard a boatload of IEMs but I have heard the UE super fi 5 pros waaayy tp much bass, shure 500s at the national meet in NYC and thought wow nice but again too much bass and I owned the ety 6is. Now on the full size can front I have owned just about all the top tier cans L3000s, PS1s, RS1s, HP2s, 650s, Qualias, K1000s, k701s, k340s... you get the picture.

Well the 420s give me the feel of many of the full size cans nice detail, warmth, tonal accuracy, and a decent sense of space. With the etys I loved the speed ( I am a speed freak) and detail but at the end of the day they can be a bit thin. The 500s were great but the bass had a tendency to cover up the mids to a degree that just was a deal killer for me.

Probably the best overall part of the 420s is they sound great unamped, so goodbye rubber band thing to hold that crazy stack that I toted around for about a year. Could they get a hair better with an amp well maybe but it is nowhere near the sacrifice for having to assemble the rig.

So if after carrying around your portable amp and lod and are looking for a great IEM to help you streamline your music on the go I really recommend the 420. I have used it pretty much nonstop since I got them and think they are absolutely the sweet spot of the shure line. Now one day when I have $1100 to burn I'll go with the UE10s or 11s but for now damn these sound sweet.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 11
So much thanks for your impression about these beauties...

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 11
very cool thoughts there jp. i have found in many other hobbies (home audio included) that sometimes as i get further into the hobby i lean towards a more minimalist approach. even if there are better "things" out there, sometimes beauty can be found in minimizing things a bit
wink.gif

as a side, do these have the same chords as the 530's? (new to this).

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 11
The 420 is an amazing IEM ... same category of amazement as the SE530's but I feel, with just a tad more accurate and "real world" bass ...

I sold my old SE530's (though I loved them) to help fund some desktop additions, but when I go back to the portable game I know two things ...

1. It will be without an amp; I totally relate to your comments about lugging around a "portable stack" that's really only microscopically more pleasing in sonics than is straight out of the jack of my player. My intention is to invest in one of the 60GB Kenwood "MediaKeg" devices as they seem to have a fairly decent amp built in ...

2. I'll go for the SE420's instead of another set of SE530's ... price/performance ratio demands it considering the differences in price.

Anyway ...

Thanks for the comments ...

smile_phones.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Fantastic write up thankyou. i found it very interesting and have heard it said before that sometimes all the extra big rig is sometimes a bit OTT and you can still get just as much enjoyment out of a carefully selected IEM and DAP. Now i dont feel so bad about not being able to afford that RSA amp right now lol. So guys is it like i expected, all that money on amps and lod's etc the improvment is a small percentage, say sub10% diff if you were to put a percentage rating on it

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 11
420-ipod better than 420-sansa?

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 11
Nice write up, its rare that people write about the 420's. I'll have to agree with you on the details part

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 11
Good thing I sent the the 530's back. Something was telling me to get the 420's. Anyhow nice review. Try the phonaks next if they were rated right under the UE11's they are truly something. Plus I own them best in ears I've ever had. Im coming from the Shure210's,Shure530's,Q-jays,Westone 3's,etc you get the point. I know people search and search for the perfect IEM's. I'm hear to say that the Phonaks are it for me and a lot of others. I'm not going to write a review on them since that would disrespecting the thread starter unless asked. But in the mean time go to the Phonak review.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 11
HEY PEOPLE! don't forget the new and all mighty Westone ES3X. Ultimate Ears isn't the only one who makes reference quality IEMS! Considering Westone is at a factor of the price
wink.gif
$850 for the Brand New ES3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back