Shunyata Research Hydra Model 4
Jul 21, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 15
Welly Wu I'd read this thread before dropping serious dough on that unit.

Jul 21, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 15
Welly, I don't own the Shunyata, but it is one of the best sounding PLC on the market to my ears. I just reviewed the linked thread and am apalled by the ghastly misinformation in it.

Jul 21, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
Welly, I don't own the Shunyata, but it is one of the best sounding PLC on the market to my ears. I just reviewed the linked thread and am apalled by the ghastly misinformation in it.

Such as?

Jul 21, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 15
I'm the last person in the world who wants to defend Shunyata's pricing. However, for starters, comparing Shunyata to Monster is ridiculous. It's not remotely the same (either in design or how they sound).

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I'm the last person in the world who wants to defend Shunyata's pricing. However, for starters, comparing Shunyata to Monster is ridiculous. It's not remotely the same (either in design or how they sound).

BUT WHY?

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
However, for starters, comparing Shunyata to Monster is ridiculous. It's not remotely the same (either in design or how they sound).

Absolutely. Monster actually delivers what they claim and pack in modern design for reasonable dollars. Whether its PS Audio, BPT, Shunyata... Monster makes a product that uses the same tech for far less green. The downside to Monster, if one had to find one, is buying these technologies individually is not possible. If you want power regulation you get the baluns, cross terminal caps, and other filters as well. Just want balanced power? Too bad you get the other 5 filters too. But if you just want the cross terminal caps, baluns and varistor surge then their power bar does it at far less than the cost of buying the Shunyata Hydra and PS Audio Ultimate Outlet
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 15
I've had a chance to compare both the Monster conditioners (5100 signature) and the Shunyata Hydra 4 in my system. Anyone who claims the Monster can compete with the hydra four is either deaf or has never heard them side by side. CONJESTED, SMALL, WEAK SOUNDING, LACK OF DYNAMICS, COMPRESSED SOUNDSTAGE, is what you get when going from the Shunyata to the monster. I now use the Audio Magic which I think is on the same level as the Shunyata.
If you want to here your music come through clean, clear, with only noise canceled out and nothing added....The Audio magic or Shunyata are the best I have heard or owned. I am not going to debate the parts used or pricing on the products...dont care. I do know what was heard when comparing the products side by side.

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 15
For those after power conditioning, I think Monarchy Audio's new AC RE-generator can be a value alternative - especially for those who have a dedicated headphone rig.

The Monarchy Audio AC Re-generator is rated at 150W only (small power) and recommended for total power demand of less than 100W (good enough for a CD player, and DAC and a Headphone Amp). User can manually adjust voltage @ 2 volts per step, as well as select frequency (50, 60, 120 or 400 Hz). The unit can handle both 110V and 220V a.c. mains (user selectable).

I have not tried this yet (actually I am still trying to locate where I can listen to the product), but I am attracted by the review posted in a local audio magazine.

At a price of less than US$800, it looks like a good and cheaper alternative to Hydra and BPT if one is not seeking power hungry applications.

F. Lo

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Have both UPC-200 and Shunyata Hydra 4, I just love Hydra 4 over UPC-200 in my system. If you don't care about the parts used and/or higher price tag, try both and decide yourself.

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 15
Tom you just went too far up the line. I made the same mistake, owning both the AVS2000 and HTPS7000.

The Shunyata Hydra is what Monster calls Stage 1, PS Audio UO and UPC is Monster Stage 2. But again, the problem is you can't have the baluns from stage 2 without the caps from stage 1. With each increase in 'stage' the path to the outlet just gets longer. Which is why I think the low Monster models get good press and the higher ones, not so much.

Now for me the best power conditioner is no power conditioner. No filters, no surge protectors, no star grounding... just good old cord to wall. Let the power supplies do the work. Sure you didn't pay Mikhail big bucks to provide you an empty power supply case, you can trust that it's over built and doing its job. I know my HeadAmp Reference and MF Tri-Vista are.

Jul 22, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 15
I am going to start deep researching Shunyata over the course of the next several weeks. I am really getting curious about their products and it is bugging me. I found out that Audio Nexus is an authorized Shunyata dealer in New Jersey: http://www.audionexus.com .

I know that my custom modified Balanced Power Technologies BP.Jr II Ultra and L-9 (FIM 880) are compressing the dynamic range of my music. When I was waiting to pickup my new Ayre Acoustics CX-7 Evolution, I listened to CDs through my Panasonic SL-CX430 PCDP with my Ue-10 PRO. That inexpensive combination has a far wider dynamic range than my reference system. Of that, I am certain.

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I am going to start deep researching Shunyata over the course of the next several weeks. I am really getting curious about their products and it is bugging me. I found out that Audio Nexus is an authorized Shunyata dealer in New Jersey: http://www.audionexus.com .

I know that my custom modified Balanced Power Technologies BP.Jr II Ultra and L-9 (FIM 880) are compressing the dynamic range of my music. When I was waiting to pickup my new Ayre Acoustics CX-7 Evolution, I listened to CDs through my Panasonic SL-CX430 PCDP with my Ue-10 PRO. That inexpensive combination has a far wider dynamic range than my reference system. Of that, I am certain.

I like BPT products, and I owned one of their earlier products before BPT became famous. But at some point, IMO they started adding way too much "special" tweaks in their conditioners, which I believe contributes to the complaints of "choking" dynamics or rolling off air, etc.

The whole trick with BPT is to get the biggest one, WAY out of proportion to your wattage needs. This minimizes any dynamic compression.

I still like BPT products, and in a direct A-B comparison between BPT 3.5 Signature and Hydra, I preferred the BPT b/c of its denser, meatier sound, but some others would prefer Hydra (or Audience AdeptResponse)'s airier, smoother sound.

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 15
Ha ha ha ha! I am using FreeBSD 6.1, KDE 3.5, and Konqueror for the first time. Guess what? My first website that I load is Head-Fi.Org!

Based upon preliminary research, I decided to take a pass on Shunyata Research products. I am saving up for the forthcoming Ayre Acoustics power conditioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back