Shozy star ii iems
Nov 27, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 48
It is really a good news , please share the early impressions as soon as possible , thanks ,

Impressions and Pix in about 2 hours.
Teaser:
Wow!

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #20 of 48
These are on my radar, but I'm a bit wary about bass when it comes to pure BA configurations.
Unless you are a basshead, no need to worry. Excellent bass, more than I expected.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 48
Here are some initial impressions of the Shozy Star II:
Shozy Case.jpg StarII and Alien+.jpg Contents of case.jpg Fitment.jpg

I do wish to say at the outset, these were purchased directly from Shozy for my own use, hence my impressions are unbiased and are the results of approximately 2 hours of listening using the Shozy Alien+, DX200 and HTC10 for Tidal streaming. I also used my Scherzo Andante headphone amp driven by the DX200 line-out to evaluate the need, if any, for additional amplification. I did feel that the Alien+ seemed to show the most synergy during my listening, but I will pursue this further. I also used my own favorite silicon tips as they fit better than those included in the package.
The Stars are very comfortable to wear and nestle flush in the ears. I think they would fit small ears quite well.

After opening the shipping box and storage case, which is a nicely crafted aluminum hockey-puck similar to that of the Oriveti containers. I carefully examined the Star II and found them to be of flawless build quality. Absolutely smooth with a carbon-fibre faceplate. The stems lack a lip but are slightly wider at the end and I had no issues at all with tips coming off when removing the phones from my ears.
The cable appears to be silver and is quite flexible and does have a chin slider. All of my listening so far is with the included stock cable.

Although only a couple of hours listening is certainly not enough for a complete review, it has been my experience that BA drivers change very little with additional hours of use.

All recordings I used for evaluation are lossless and the Tidal albums are at the Hi-Fi level. I chose the following albums and artists to get an impression of specific strengths and weaknesses. They are listed below with the objective for choosing:

Tanque Verde *binaural* (extension of highs and lows)
Hotel California (coherence)
Dark Side of the Moon (soundstage)
Blues on Back (Jazz with string bass)
Chicago Symphony Orchestra ( *Dvorak Symphony from the New World) Dynamics and imaging
Kings Brass (Tympani and pipe organ)
That would be Me *Harry Connick Jr* male vocal
Eva Cassidy *Songbird* female vocal

Without taking the time to go into great detail on each recording, I can say that the Star II does indeed demonstrate the ER4S goals of superb detail in mids and highs. There is no overemphasis of any part of the frequency spectrum that I could detect and I noticed no spikes at high frequencies. Treble is crisp, detailed and could not be called "polite". Brightness is pretty much as dictated by the recording. As a matter of fact, the entire frequency range is pretty much neutral in character and will reveal exactly what is on the recording. These phones are quite revealing of any recording shortcoming, hence I would recommend lossless for best results.

Vocals, both male and female are clear and are not buried by the backing instruments. Vocal and instrumental timbre are excellent as is the sense of space. Soundstage is neither wide nor narrow, but rather expands and contracts based on the actual size of the performers.
Imaging is very precise which indicates to me that drivers are extremely well-matched on both sides.

Bass quality and quantity really exceeded my expectations and is considerably more that one hears with the Ety's. There is believable sub-bass, but not to the extent that would likely please a "Basshead". Overall, the SQ reminds me a lot of the CA Andromeda with good extended bass with no blooming or bleeding into the vocal range.

I will continue to post updates as I am a bit short of time now, but at this point I can say that I am really pleased with my purchase and do feel that the Star II can compete with many so-called TOTL headphones regardless of cost if one desires an accurate and lifelike presentation of their recorded or streaming music. I will also make some comparisons with other IEM's in my collection when I have some more free time.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #25 of 48
Could you elaborate a bit on having similar signature to Andromeda? What kind of difference do you hear vs Andromeda?
Tonally they are, as memory serves me, similar although the Andromeda does have an overall larger soundstage. I do think vocals are better (more lifelike) on the Star II.

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #26 of 48
Here are some initial impressions of the Shozy Star II:

I do wish to say at the outset, these were purchased directly from Shozy for my own use, hence my impressions are unbiased and are the results of approximately 2 hours of listening using the Shozy Alien+, DX200 and HTC10 for Tidal streaming. I also used my Scherzo Andante headphone amp driven by the DX200 line-out to evaluate the need, if any, for additional amplification. I did feel that the Alien+ seemed to show the most synergy during my listening, but I will pursue this further. I also used my own favorite silicon tips as they fit better than those included in the package.
The Stars are very comfortable to wear and nestle flush in the ears. I think they would fit small ears quite well.

After opening the shipping box and storage case, which is a nicely crafted aluminum hockey-puck similar to that of the Oriveti containers. I carefully examined the Star II and found them to be of flawless build quality. Absolutely smooth with a carbon-fibre faceplate. The stems lack a lip but are slightly wider at the end and I had no issues at all with tips coming off when removing the phones from my ears.
The cable appears to be silver and is quite flexible and does have a chin slider. All of my listening so far is with the included stock cable.

Although only a couple of hours listening is certainly not enough for a complete review, it has been my experience that BA drivers change very little with additional hours of use.

All recordings I used for evaluation are lossless and the Tidal albums are at the Hi-Fi level. I chose the following albums and artists to get an impression of specific strengths and weaknesses. They are listed below with the objective for choosing:

Tanque Verde *binaural* (extension of highs and lows)
Hotel California (coherence)
Dark Side of the Moon (soundstage)
Blues on Back (Jazz with string bass)
Chicago Symphony Orchestra ( *Dvorak Symphony from the New World) Dynamics and imaging
Kings Brass (Tympani and pipe organ)
That would be Me *Harry Connick Jr* male vocal
Eva Cassidy *Songbird* female vocal

Without taking the time to go into great detail on each recording, I can say that the Star II does indeed demonstrate the ER4S goals of superb detail in mids and highs. There is no overemphasis of any part of the frequency spectrum that I could detect and I noticed no spikes at high frequencies. Treble is crisp, detailed and could not be called "polite". Brightness is pretty much as dictated by the recording. As a matter of fact, the entire frequency range is pretty much neutral in character and will reveal exactly what is on the recording. These phones are quite revealing of any recording shortcoming, hence I would recommend lossless for best results.

Vocals, both male and female are clear and are not buried by the backing instruments. Vocal and instrumental timbre are excellent as is the sense of space. Soundstage is neither wide nor narrow, but rather expands and contracts based on the actual size of the performers.
Imaging is very precise which indicates to me that drivers are extremely well-matched on both sides.

Bass quality and quantity really exceeded my expectations and is considerably more that one hears with the Ety's. There is believable sub-bass, but not to the extent that would likely please a "Basshead". Overall, the SQ reminds me a lot of the CA Andromeda with good extended bass with no blooming or bleeding into the vocal range.

I will continue to post updates as I am a bit short of time now, but at this point I can say that I am really pleased with my purchase and do feel that the Star II can compete with many so-called TOTL headphones regardless of cost if one desires an accurate and lifelike presentation of their recorded or streaming music. I will also make some comparisons with other IEM's in my collection when I have some more free time.
Excellent , thanks for your brief and quick impressions ,
I want to know how you feel the height of soundstage and presentation specially the position/placing of vocals it feels more towards your forehead ( in front of your eyes) or more towards the back side of your neck ,

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #27 of 48
The soundstage is quite expansive with vocals positioned more towards the front with believable instrument placement. I never perceive the presentation as a small ball of sound between my ears.

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #29 of 48
Just a couple of comments regarding the Star II bass...
At first listen, it sounds somewhat light, but when called for, it is present, deep and well-controlled. Never intruding into the vocal range. More bass than ER4 series, even PT. One can actually discern different bass notes rather than a generic thump. It does take awhile to appreciate how appropriate the bass quantity and quality is in comparison to other IEM's. Timbre of bass instruments is very impressive.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #30 of 48
There are no marks or lettering at all on the earpieces themselves, only a deep glossy black finish. Left and Right are easily identified by blue and red markings on the connector ends of the cable. The cable itself is not microphonic at all and is quite soft and supple. I suspect that it was an integral part of the tuning design process rather than a generic cable selected primarily by cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back