Shozy PX-M1 portable amp tour
May 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #17 of 29
I spent about a week burning in the unit we got from Rhapsodio for review.

I really liked the way it looked, and the interconnect cable that came with it looks rather good (carbon inserts). I do have a picture...actually 3 of them, and none of them are in focus :). aaanyway - shane's got a pic above.
The amp is pretty small at 93mm * 58mm * 13mm (thinner and shorter than a cowon d2 and MUCH more portable vs JDS O2)
It also comes with an i-device interconnect, which I didn't get to use but some will find useful. (the LOD looked pretty plain and you might say it's not fancy enough :D ?)

I loved the gunmetal aluminum look...When you open the box it was probably the prettiest amp I've seen. Until I noticed some scratches on arrival (!). IDK, I probably wouldn't put the aluminum version in the pocket with keys or anything metal. That said - the overall build 'feel' (seemed very solid)

Like shotgun shane I noticed it had an imbalance at the lower end of the volume knob turn (I _think_ I could tell until about 11 o'clock (it starts at 8). The volume pot felt smooth and the gain switch had a nice tactile feel to it, so did all of the sockets.

On low gain - there's no background noise, on high gain it was silent on IEMs until volumes where my ears would melt... On high gain - I've also heard some sort of feedback on the line out from one of my DACs (might be DC offset on line out from the DAC messing with the amp?)

You can't charge it and listen to it - there's distortion and noise when it charges and if it has music playing. It lasted for about 48 +-5 hours for me when burning it in, but I wasn't really measuring it scientifically :D and it was above listening volumes. (I suspect if you open it, there is a small SMD or discrete passive parts + opamp based circuit and a giant battery there)

Sound-wise similar to shotgunshane's initial impressions - it didn't have the firmest bass compared to Clip+ or O2, and it was a bit too bright for my liking. - Neither GMP450, not Rhapsodio 2v1, nor GMP435s suit it very well because of that. (aside from brightness it made the high impedance GMP450 sound grainy(?) in the mids...some sort of an odd quality i can't quite put my finger on. Maybe - enough voltage - not enough current as people like to say). Likewise, didn't really like it with my Sm3x8 (maybe PX-M1 has a relatively high output impedance - I'm not sure) - it for some reason made it sound a lot dimmer than O2 and the low end turned to mush.

I'm not a big fan when manufacturers don't quote the output impedance and then quote distortion and noise or power output separately (not x.xxx% at blah MW, but blah %, blah%, blah mw peak ouptput).

I think it matched T-PEOS H-200 well though. I found H-200 to be a bit dim on its own. (and that has enough firm bass to accomodate).
I think it might go well with something like HD650, but I'd be cautious of buying it for that prupose until some tries it. (besides those are open headphones - so portable amp - eeeh)

Finally, at $300 I think it's a bit too premium for me considering the above (yes, pretty, yes big battery - no I don't think the circuit inside is worth it, no I haven't opened it - the star screws on it are tiny and I don't have a tiny screwdriver :D ). I'd probably lean towards the beta22 mini cousin from AMB. or even O2 if not for portable use.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #22 of 29
Some (long overdue) impressions.

I'll be the first to admit that I lack experience with portable amps. I gave up on them after not getting any improvement from my iP4 to the Fiio E11 and E6/5. 

The Shozy is an exception though. The differences, while very subtle, are there. I've spent the last few days getting intimate with the Shozy's signature, and this is what I've found...

For starters, the Shozy adds space between the sound cues, whereas my iP4 sound ever so slightly more congested. The midrange also seems more resolving on the Shozy, as well as adding in a better mid-treble transition.

All this listening was done through the T-peos H-200.

I'll be passing it along to Flysweep's more experienced ears shortly.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
Some (long overdue) impressions.

I'll be the first to admit that I lack experience with portable amps. I gave up on them after not getting any improvement from my iP4 to the Fiio E11 and E6/5. 

The Shozy is an exception though. The differences, while very subtle, are there. I've spent the last few 

For starters, the Shozy adds space between the sound cues, whereas my iP4 sound ever so slightly more congested. The midrange also seems more resolving on the Shozy, as well as adding in a better mid-treble transition.

All this listening was done through the T-peos H-200.

I'll be passing it along to Flysweep's more experienced ears shortly.

Thanks eke.  I can agree with those impressions.  By the way, did something get cut off after "I've spent the last few"?

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #26 of 29
Thanks to shotgunshane for organizing the tour.

Upon fetching the PX-M1 out of the box, I was immediately impressed with its appearance.  Sleek, attractive metal work.. light in weight, though it possessed a solid, substantial feel when handled.. recessed input/output connectors were firm and locked securely.. and the discrete gain toggle, while easily accessible, was positioned in a discrete manner so as to not suffer from accidental switching.  The volume knob had a nice resistance to it, as well.  I can't see anyone being perpetually afraid of accidentally knocking the knob and getting an ear full of pain.  All in all, the build quality simply oozes class and attention to detail.

I'd like to see the rear plate have the same beveled edge as the front plate.  If this amp was hastily shoved (rear-side down) into a tight jean or breast pocket, I could see it catching & tearing some thin fabric lining.  A metal volume knob would made the appearance a 10/10 in my book.  The (replaceable) plastic knob it sports now is serviceable, but it detracts from the wonderful metal casework and sharp design of the rest of the amp.  The volume knob is also off color from the body of the amp.  These are pretty nitpicky observations.. but considering the price of the amp, I place a little more importance on them.

There is some volume imbalance at the lowest areas of the pot.  A notable issue I experienced was a quick, dramatic rise in the volume at the small area where channel imbalance gives way to (even) channel balance.  When the channels do balance out, low volume listening is possible.. but it's at a level that's slightly above my desired low volume listening level.  I doubt this will be a problem for most others and it's difficult to accurately assess if this will be an issues for everyone due to variables in phone sensitivity & personal listening preferences.

In terms of sound.. I found the PX-M1 to be quite neutral and transparent.  Sonically, it was similar to my Meier QuickStep in that it was smooth, neutral, and spacious.  The PX-M1 possessed a well proportioned soundstage.. I felt it was slightly deeper than it was wide, with above average height.  Frequency extension was good, as well.  Bass was tight, punchy, and well controlled.  The midrange had a nice spacious presentation that wasn't forward or recessed.. again, it was accurate, clean, and detailed.  Treble was crisp, extended, and possessed nice extension.

While it compared quite favorably to the Quickstep in overall performance, I found the Quickstep to be the sonically advanced amp by all counts.  The Quickstep's discrete volume pot is wonderfully clean and perfectly balanced.. even at very low volumes.  The Shozy's pot is more jagged and less precise, in comparison.  While the Shozy amp has very good resolving ability, I found the the Quickstep to be a tier above as it presents the "leading edges" & inner detail of notes with better clarity and resolution than the PX-M1.  The QS enjoyed a larger, even better proportioned soundstage (in all directions) which lead to a more expansive, realistic listening experience; couple this with the QS' superior imaging ability, I find spatial cues are more precisely placed and their locale can be identified with less effort.  The Quickstep offers distinguishably better control through the bass, midrange, and treble, as well.

All this being said, the (sonic & technical) differences between the two amps aren't vastly far apart.  The QS simply sounded a bit more refined & articulate to my ears.  Still, I came away impressed with the  PX-M1 as it offers a solid value at it's asking price.  Kudos to Rhapsodio for creating a physically, functionally, & sonically attractive amp.

I will be shipping the RDB-2v1 & Shozy amp to goodvibes by early next week.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #27 of 29
Just had my listen and I agree with most of the above. Found the amp VG but not quite as resolved or rythmic as the best. Love the size and simple function. I didn't find it bright or ringy at all though the top had some sparkle but not in a emphatic or harsh way and added a bit of needed life. Bass could have been more defined but I didn't find it an issue in passive listening. Perspective seems right and it's plenty open enough though not quite black between notes. Should be an upgrade to most DAPs and probably all with a LO without bringing any baggage to the party.
bigsmile_face.gif
 It's a good little amp.

I'm obviously not a reviewer. My listens and reviews are both short and sweet since other aspects like charge etc have been covered. Thanks for the listen.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #28 of 29
Just wanted to say that if anyone wants to buy the Australian shozy amp tour it is for sale for 100 USD not including postage. Please PM me if anyone interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back