Shozy Black Hole : semi-open back DD IEM
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

cfranchi

500+ Head-Fier
Dec 8, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 29
When hasn't Headfonia given a very good review to something?

Anyway, the graph looks like ass. No bass and middle finger treble.

1607452992292.png

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 29
When hasn't Headfonia given a very good review to something?

Anyway, the graph looks like ass. No bass and middle finger treble.

1607452992292.png

Hmm, I’m quite suspicious about this graph

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 29
Dec 8, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 29
Crin’s graphs are legit.

These look like a swing and a miss to me.

Then I really don’t understand why Headfonia put Black Hole in their recommended gear...
This hobby is too subjective :frowning2:

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 29
Then I really don’t understand why Headfonia put Black Hole in their recommended gear...
This hobby is too subjective :frowning2:
Welcome to the Wacky Wild World of Head-Fi !! :alien:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 29
Literary fantasy or modern guide to product reviews?

field_notes-1-bd0be38ea3469f44.jpg

At last the Dodo said, “Everybody has won, and all must have prizes.”

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 29
Just weighing in with my impressions as well, seems like there aren't many reviewers with this model at the moment!

Shozy Black Hole.png

Can vouch for Crin's graph, I measured this earphone about a dozen times and basically thought I'd bodged my last repair on my measurement rig because what I recorded just didn't match up with my subjective impressions. Nevertheless, I received a graph like this every time. I do not think it is too far-fetched to discount measurements in some ways on this particular earphone given the drastically different form factor, it is unfortunate they are not more commonly available to demo for non-reviewers.

In subjective listening, this is a weird one for sure, but not necessarily in a bad way, and I do have faith in Shozy considering that their previous IEM releases have been very well-considered. The Black Hole isn't perfectly linear relative to any reference curve, but in listening does sound substantially more balanced than measurement would suggest. In particular, the treble doesn't come across nearly as forward as suggested nor does the bass sound as lean as measured to me.

I can only attribute this to the open design, it truly is a unique experience I haven't received from any other IEM - it's about as open as an earbud but provides a seal so you do get a nice, extended bass. It has a wide-open stage and good resolving power. The signature is not bass-heavy, but far from anemic. The bass has a full voicing that means it doesn't get lost despite being a bit laid-back, and the signature has a moderate upper-mid focused to my ears which means clear, slightly forward vocals but also not the warmest, smoothest or fullest sound for those valuing these qualities.

I think the main appeal is surely the ability to maintain spatial awareness and a huge, almost headphone-like soundstage without sacrificing bass extension or resolution as earbuds commonly do. What's less debatable is the gorgeous and unique aesthetic design and metalwork on Shozy's behalf. If anyone has questions, happy to answer and I will be working on a full review as well!

In the interim, enjoy the eye candy :)

DSC00179.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 29
Just weighing in with my impressions as well, seems like there aren't many reviewers with this model at the moment!

Can vouch for Crin's graph, I measured this earphone about a dozen times and basically thought I'd bodged my last repair on my measurement rig because what I recorded just didn't match up with my subjective impressions. Nevertheless, I received a graph like this every time.

In subjective listening, this is a weird one for sure, but not necessarily in a bad way, and I do have faith in Shozy considering that their previous IEM releases have been very well-considered. The Black Hole isn't perfectly linear relative to any reference curve, but in listening does sound substantially more balanced than measurement would suggest. In particular, the treble doesn't come across nearly as forward as suggested nor does the bass sound as lean as measured to me.

I can only attribute this to the open design, it truly is a unique experience I haven't received from any other IEM - it's about as open as an earbud but provides a seal so you do get a nice, extended bass. It has a wide-open stage and good resolving power. The signature is not bass-heavy, but far from anemic. The bass has a full voicing that means it doesn't get lost despite being a bit laid-back, and the signature has a moderate upper-mid focused to my ears which means clear, slightly forward vocals but also not the warmest, smoothest or fullest sound for those valuing these qualities.

I think the main appeal is surely the ability to maintain spatial awareness and a huge, almost headphone-like soundstage without sacrificing bass extension or resolution as earbuds commonly do. What's less debatable is the gorgeous and unique aesthetic design and metalwork on Shozy's behalf. If anyone has questions, happy to answer and I will be working on a full review as well!

In the interim, enjoy the eye candy :)

Interesting mini review.

I mainly listen to rock, vocals, live songs, acoustic and I’m looking for an IEM that has :
- a wide and holographic sense of space
- a natural sound (but still musical) with no obvious coloration (I’m really looking for a « lifelike » experience)
- a dynamic and punchy sound

Do you think the Black Hole tick all the boxes ? Or should I look elsewhere ? For info I’m not a fan of full BA iem.

Thx

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 29
Well headfonia has answered some of my questions about how much Black Hole is an engaging IEM :
« Not really engaging. It’s rather relaxed and airy. »

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 29
The aggregate opinion of Head-Fi users have often been more helpful than review sites in many an individual's audio journey. That's kind of the point of the forum and community... disparaging the people isn't cool :)

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 29
I am on the cusp of giving the Black Hole a try. Based on the available information regarding its sonic performance, I would expect it to sound quite similar to my Sony F1 (which I have owned longer than any of my over-ear cans) and still enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back