Shozy Alien+
Jun 1, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #196 of 539
Alien+ have a little better SQ than DX200, for me DX200 is one of worse player, because he have very smooth and very slow mids, he haven't balls :wink: to playing music very emotion. Will be compassion Alien+ with DX200 in review.

Only flac 16/44.1, and no problem to buy hi-res wave, all shop have a few formats and you have downloads what you want. And wave format is SQ, holographic, resolution better than flac format.

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #197 of 539
Alien+ have a little better SQ than DX200,

Great, thank you, and what about the degree of details soundwise?

According to some reviews DX200 boasts providing a great level of details,
almost second to none in its range,
in your opinion how is A+ doing in this regard?
Does A+ provide the amount of details comparable with DX200?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #198 of 539
P.S. I am a sort of new to this forum, have been reading it for a while but eventually decided to join..
I like the atmosphere, it's just quite nice to be here and I'm glad I've joined! :beerchug:

Welcome on board Alex! It's a bumpy ride, and at the end, your heart will be full and your wallet may be empty, but it's all good :D

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #199 of 539
Only flac 16/44.1, and no problem to buy hi-res wave, all shop have a few formats and you have downloads what you want. And wave format is SQ, holographic, resolution better than flac format.

@msiekkb
I just want to get some clarity on these statements, so a few questions if you don't mind? :)

1) Are you saying the Alien+ can play 24bit WAV files, but not FLAC ones?

2) Are you confirming that the Alien+ definitely doesn't play FLAC 24/*? Have you tried? I have a player that supposedly doesn't play such files according to the specs/manufacturer. But actually, I found it does play those files without any problem.. So just wondering.. If you haven't tried, perhaps you could use/create a 24 bit FLAC file and test for us? :wink:

3) Finally, are you saying that WAV files sound better than FLAC files on the Alien+? Or that WAV files simply sound better than FLAC full stop?
I don't wish to start any kind of tech argument or debate here lol. You're entitled to your opinions (whatever they are) and I'm just interested to hear about them :)

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #201 of 539
and I'm just interested to hear about them :)

Me too definitely. :)

If A+ can play Hi-Res FLACs it would be really handy and cool, yeah,
otherwise there would be a need to spend more GBs of flash memory on WAV files if you need Hi-Res
without obvious difference in SQ between WAV and FLAC produced from the former for me at least.. :)
Maybe our fellow member NLNH can shed a light on this technical spec?
For me it's important, if yes, it would be another reason to grab this alien creature.. :)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #202 of 539
AD1 and 2) Yes, Alien+ play WAV 24/192 and flac only 16/44.1. I testing because I had on card hi-res flac, Alien+ not play hi-res flac, when I download or converted to WAV and no problem with hi-res

AD3) both, because Alien+ have tuning for best sound to WAV, I compare WAV and FLAC, rip from CD this same song to flac and wave, always there better sound from WAV on Alien+ and Alien Gold. Wave simply sound better than file, because have more breath and not strained like flac.

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #203 of 539
AD1 and 2) Yes, Alien+ play WAV 24/192 and flac only 16/44.1. I testing because I had on card hi-res flac, Alien+ not play hi-res flac, when I download or converted to WAV and no problem with hi-res

AD3) both, because Alien+ have tuning for best sound to WAV, I compare WAV and FLAC, rip from CD this same song to flac and wave, always there better sound from WAV on Alien+ and Alien Gold. Wave simply sound better than file, because have more breath and not strained like flac.

Thank you, this sounds very interesting!
Just curious, but what IEM's have you generally been using?
Just wondering if they might be detail monsters that can really help you to discern a difference :)

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #204 of 539
I use generally Etymotic ER-4SR.

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #207 of 539
As usual I've made a video about Alien+

Thank you, an interesting and illustrative review.

Seems this A+ - it's worth its money,
the only drawback for me I see now is lack of Hi-Res FLAC support but I can probably live with that so long as soundwise
it's as good as you describe..

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #209 of 539
Trying to play 24bit FLAC file Alien+ goes to the next file. This is very good, because I remember from Alien Gold, when I have 24 bit flac files I get very unpleasure sound with this files.

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #210 of 539
Trying to play 24bit FLAC file Alien+ goes to the next file. This is very good, because I remember from Alien Gold, when I have 24 bit flac files I get very unpleasure sound with this files.
Haha, yes, I had that same problem with another DAP... very loud static squeal whenever there was a file issue..
Glad to hear the Alien+ has a more mature way to handle rejection :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back