Show your Ignorance! What songs did you NOT know were covers?
Jun 14, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #46 of 68
I never would have guessed that "I fought the law" by the clash was a cover.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #47 of 68
I'm a little unsure thow to classify this song.

"A Good Heart" - Written by Maria McKee, and orginally a a hit for Feargal Sharkey back in 1985. Fast forward to 2007 and there's a version (first time she's recorded it I believe) on Maria McKee's new album.

So is it a cover version of her own song? Weird huh?

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #48 of 68
... Cool thread people ... I'm not sure of what the original was (somebody please help me here) but the very-popular-in-the-U.K. song "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley is actually a cover of this one ... I heard a piece of it station-surfing the radio and I only caught the last bit ...

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #49 of 68
I believe Natalie Imbruglia's big hit "Torn" is also a cover version, but who did it before escapes me right now. Someone scandinavian I think.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[*]"Tainted Love," by Soft Cell (I always want to say this is Depeche Mode), originally by Gloria Jones

Ow, so The Clash version was also a cover?? Didn't know that lol! By reading this thread you find out about this haha!

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #52 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm stunned how much wrong information (and really warped perspectives) this thread contains - thanks to masonjar the most blatant mistakes have already been "covered"
biggrin.gif

i wonder what's worse - robbing freddie mercury of 'crazy little thing called love' or sticking 'red red wine' on neil young...

i feel like a grumpy old man now! you youngins know nothing! *foams at the mouth a bit*

a minor point: 'because the night' isn't just by springsteen, he co-wrote it with patti smith.

Cast ye not stones unless, uh, you have one to cast on yourself? C'mon, there has to be one "oops" moment you can share with us! Want to hear a bad one of mine?

The first time I ever heard "Wildwood Flower" was as a B-side of a 10,000 Maniacs single. Almost a decade goes by until I bothered to discover that this was done by Maybelle Carter (yep, saw "Walk the Line" and bingo, there it was!) Now that's just plain bad. I even learned the tune on the guitar this year as my lil musical mea culpa to the Carter Family. I guess you can tell I didn't come from a bluegrass background!

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #53 of 68
thanks, jahn
smily_headphones1.gif

i really tried, but i couldn't think of a fitting stone to cast. i didn't know about 'hey joe', but that confession's come up once or twice now. growing up with vinyl and a fascination for liner notes i often knew of a cover before even hearing it - which robbed me of some wonderful possibilities for embarassing feats of musical ignorance.

shame on me, i still can't think of one (there's got to be dozens, some still unearthed...)
that's middle-age for you, apart from the onset of grumpiness: memory holes. them youngins know nothing, and i've forgotten more than they will ever know!

10.000 maniacs, huh?
they're the ones who did 'everyday is like sunday', right? the pretenders song?
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #54 of 68
I wonder how many people think that Elvis was the originator of Blue Suede Shoes

Altho i do believe Elvis made a lot of both Carl Perkins and Roy Orbison's songs more popular/famous?

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #55 of 68
Gangsta's Paradise - I found a song very similar on an old Stevie Wonder album, although the lyrics are different.

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #56 of 68
When I was 15 and first got Bowie's PinUps album I thought they were all originals he wrote until my Father set me straight and pointed out they were all cover songs from the 60's. Still, I like some of Bowie's versions better than the originals.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Erickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh, I didn't know those were covers, either. I may try and dig up the Gloria Jones Tainted Love - I bet it's really different.

Another interesting fact I just found out about Gloria Jones is that she was the girlfriend of Marc Bolan (T.Rex) and was driving the car back from the pub that spun out and hit a tree which killed Marc Bolan in 1977. She is the mother of Marc Bolan's son too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Jones

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #58 of 68
Ok.. here's one... when I first heard Pavement's "Box Elder MO" I thought it was a cover of The Wedding Present.

As it turned out, I had it backwards... The Wedding Present covered Pavement. D'oh. Steve Albini suggested the Weddoes cover that song. Good call on his part. I couldn't tell it wasn't one of their songs, the tape I had didn't have any song writing credits. Then I heard it on WESTING BY MUSKET and it sounded very familiar.. hey! Pavement covered the Wedding Present.. umm.. nope!

rolleyes.gif

Speaking of Pavement covers, the Tindersticks do a pretty cool cover of "Here"

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by soMn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hated "Downtown Train" until I learned it was originally by Tom Waits. His version makes sense; it's so melancholy.

And before Rod Stewart, Mary Chapin-Carpenter covered "Downtown Train" on her debut album, "Hometown Girl". Her version is quite melancholy as well.

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #60 of 68
I listened to "Only the good die young" by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes for about three weeks, having no idea it was originally a Billy Joel song. Now, THAT is ignorance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back