Show your Ignorance! What songs did you NOT know were covers?
Jun 12, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #31 of 68
I didnt even know aerosmith covered the beatles. Live & let die is definitely a wings song and fought the law is better known by the clash....

Also,i think whenever hendrix covered something he really made it his own so it shoudlnt count. i mean his all along the watch tower is soooo different from dylan's.

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people think that metallica wrote Whiskey In The Jar ..

I think you mean to say "most metallica fans" and not "most people"..

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #33 of 68
yea, anyone saying a "cover" of a Beatles song was more popular than the original is pretty much, um, wrong. Maybe among high school kids, but not among adults. Here's a secret: there are millions and millions of Beatles fans out there who don't listen to bands like Aerosmith. Aerosmith could sell a million copies of their version of "Come Together," but there will always be more Beatles fans who know and love the original. I'm not saying covers are bad, I love covers. You just have to get some perspective.

-jar

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto;3029285[*
"Red Red Wine," by UB40, originally by Neil Young

Um.. that's Neil DIAMOND.

BIG DIFFERENCE!!

(I can't imagine Neil Young singing that song).

rolleyes.gif

-jar

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nearly everybody i've talked to thinks that Hurt is by Johnny Cash and Nine inch nails did a cover of it.

Jesus how could someone not know that.. "Hurt" was on ultra-mega-heavy rotation back in 1994.. but, I guess if someone was in 1st grade then they would not know that. Pretty nifty time machine that NIN has!!

rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you mean to say "most metallica fans" and not "most people"..

Okay, I stand corrected
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #37 of 68
I always thought "The Man Who Sold The World" was originally done by Nirvana. It was not until I was listening to a live Bowie performance that I did a little research and found out he did it originally.

For the record, I prefer the Bowie version over the Nirvana cover.

I'm amazed by the amount of people who think Johnny Cash was the originator of Hurt. I remember at the last NIN concert I went to when he started singing Hurt, some drunken girls in front of us were screaming "Johnny Cash!!" at the top of their lungs. Kinda ruined the moment ya know.

Johnny Cash's "Hurt" FTW though.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #38 of 68
I came here to say Tainted Love but thats already been covered it seems. I listened to the Gloria Jones version at one point and its actually surprisingly similar to Soft Cell's.

Also, it annoys the hell out of me when I find out something is a cover that I never knew about. Not sure why.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsolman6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe not a cover per se, but I was totally on-the-floor shocked when I heard Stevie Wonder's Pastime Paradise from Songs in the Key of Life. I had no idea Coolio had reworked this song to a #1 single (IIRC).

Were you under the impression that rappers wrote their own music?
eek.gif

Not quite the same thing, but for several months I was under the impression that "For tomorrow" was an obscure David Bowie song. It turned out to be by Blur (and was the best song on that particular album).

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #44 of 68
i'm stunned how much wrong information (and really warped perspectives) this thread contains - thanks to masonjar the most blatant mistakes have already been "covered"
biggrin.gif

i wonder what's worse - robbing freddie mercury of 'crazy little thing called love' or sticking 'red red wine' on neil young...

i feel like a grumpy old man now! you youngins know nothing! *foams at the mouth a bit*

a minor point: 'because the night' isn't just by springsteen, he co-wrote it with patti smith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back