Show us your Sony ES collection.
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #286 of 321
my beloved SCD-1 and TAN-9000ES

01515_cbn23uAIVj6_1200x900.jpg 00w0w_7bdzNSEffy4_1200x900.jpg

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #288 of 321
thank you

these are already old

from 2007 onwards

No Sony still makes ES products. But around 2010 Sony started branding allot of their products ES and the ES name lost allot of its pedigree. Sony also came out with allot of weird digital ES products around that time that did not make much sense. To me and allot of others the "good" ES products came out pre 2010.

If you really want the best of the best look at Sony Reference and Espirit which were only made 1980 - 2000. Also look at Technics Class AA. My current cd-player is a Technics sl-p1300. The vintageknob.org, audio database, audio heritage, and vintage audio lazer websites are a tremendous help as well. I use zenmarket.jp to buy my audio gears strait from Japan. I use acupwr step up transformers to power them safely.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #289 of 321
No Sony still makes ES products. But around 2010 Sony started branding allot of their products ES and the ES name lost allot of its pedigree. Sony also came out with allot of weird digital ES products around that time that did not make much sense. To me and allot of others the "good" ES products came out pre 2010.

If you really want the best of the best look at Sony Reference and Espirit which were only made 1980 - 2000. Also look at Technics Class AA. My current cd-player is a Technics sl-p1300. The vintageknob.org, audio database, audio heritage, and vintage audio lazer websites are a tremendous help as well. I use zenmarket.jp to buy my audio gears strait from Japan. I use acupwr step up transformers to power them safely.

This is not the place to post this, however, if you really want to hear the best that Sony has you need to hear these: https://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-ss-ar1-loudspeaker.

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #293 of 321
It’s fine to place all Sony ES stuff here. This is in the high-end audio forum.

The SCD-1 and SS-M9ED, wow! I got to hear that combo at a Sony store in Chicago just after they came out. (Not sure which version of the big Sony speakers).

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #294 of 321
Speakers, not headphones.

Speakers are just fine bud. It's a Sony ES thread not a Sony headphone thread. Maybe if there were Sony ES headphones you would have a point but there are not any Sony ES headphones to my knowledge.

You can shoot the messenger if you want but those speakers you gave as an example are a joke. Probably not even made by Sony, probably not even built in Japan but Malaysia. The best speakers Sony ever built are hands down without a doubt the ss-gr1 and ss-r10's . Even without inflation factored in they are every bit as expensive as the speakers you mentioned and with inflation factored in try 3-4 times as expensive. Heck even my little apm-4's are on the same order with inflation factored in, weight is the same as well. I also say little for good reason. Compared to the ss-gr1 and ss-r10 50 kilos really is puny.

Slex had a pair of mint ss-gr1's on uk audiomart for sale. I thought $25k was too much. Now not so much.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #295 of 321

The SCD-1 and SS-M9ED, wow! I got to hear that combo at a Sony store in Chicago just after they came out. (Not sure which version of the big Sony speakers).

My bad about this not being the right place to post about the SS-AR1 speaker. My original SACD player was an SCD-1. I lasted 12 years before it started skipping too much. I still have fond memories of that player.

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #296 of 321

I know what version of speakers you were listening to and so do you. The SS-m9ed's are speakers.

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #297 of 321
Speakers are just fine bud. It's a Sony ES thread not a Sony headphone thread. Maybe if there were Sony ES headphones you would have a point but there are not any Sony ES headphones to my knowledge.

You can shoot the messenger if you want but those speakers you gave as an example are a joke. Probably not even made by Sony, probably not even built in Japan but Malaysia. The best speakers Sony ever built are hands down without a doubt the ss-gr1 and ss-r10's . Even without inflation factored in they are every bit as expensive as the speakers you mentioned and with inflation factored in try 3-4 times as expensive. Heck even my little apm-4's are on the same order with inflation factored in, weight is the same as well. I also say little for good reason. Compared to the ss-gr1 and ss-r10 50 kilos really is puny.

Slex had a pair of mint ss-gr1's on uk audiomart for sale. I thought $25k was too much. Now not so much.

I do not want to shoot you, but I do want you to do your homework before you post. I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing the SS-AR1's when they were first introduced in the US at an audio show in NYC and (through a translator) was able to ask questions of the technicians that came over from Japan for the introduction. In addition to a pair being played through Pass Lab amps (which sounded wonderful) they had and unfinished and unglued speaker cabinet that was a marvel of woodworking (I am an amateur woodworker with 40 years of experience). The custom made plywood used in the speakers is made from several different spices depending on where in the speaker it is being used. All the wood is harvested in the winter when it is at its densest. The cabinet assembly and finishing is done by hand as well as the actual speaker assembly. It is all done in Japan. The entire project was run by one Sony senior engineer. I realize the $27K for a pair of speakers is not cheap, but the SS-AR1 is a hi-end audio bargain.

The sad part about the speaker is Sony could not find a single hi-end audio dealer in NYC willing to take on selling the speakers. They all said that Sony's reputation had been too tarnished in the last two decades to have any hope of selling the speaker in the already jaded NYC market.

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #298 of 321
I do not want to shoot you, but I do want you to do your homework before you post. I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing the SS-AR1's when they were first introduced in the US at an audio show in NYC and (through a translator) was able to ask questions of the technicians that came over from Japan for the introduction. In addition to a pair being played through Pass Lab amps (which sounded wonderful) they had and unfinished and unglued speaker cabinet that was a marvel of woodworking (I am an amateur woodworker with 40 years of experience). The custom made plywood used in the speakers is made from several different spices depending on where in the speaker it is being used. All the wood is harvested in the winter when it is at its densest. The cabinet assembly and finishing is done by hand as well as the actual speaker assembly. It is all done in Japan. The entire project was run by one Sony senior engineer. I realize the $27K for a pair of speakers is not cheap, but the SS-AR1 is a hi-end audio bargain.

The sad part about the speaker is Sony could not find a single hi-end audio dealer in NYC willing to take on selling the speakers. They all said that Sony's reputation had been too tarnished in the last two decades to have any hope of selling the speaker in the already jaded NYC market.

Nice to see Sony is trying to make a comeback. Looks like it will yet again be another Japan only item though. Hifido.jp could probably get a pair for you without the shipping ruining the deal.

I still do not see these stacking up well against the ss-r10's and ss-gr1's. Those are 2 of the best speakers ever built.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #299 of 321
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #300 of 321

Users who are viewing this thread

Back