Show us your Sony ES collection.
Apr 25, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #106 of 326
Sorry to hear about both units especially the XA7ES.  If the cause of the problem is bad optical laser, you may have to say bye to the unit forever as the optical block is no longer available.  I once had the exact same problem with the CDP-X707ES and Sony couldn't repair them.  You may look into a lesser model with the same optical block for part though.

I hope Sony has parts for that unit. They did accept the repair order, otherwise they wouldn't right? It's going to Sony main repair center in TX. I hope they will fix it and not scratch my unit doing so.

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #107 of 326

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about both units especially the XA7ES.  If the cause of the problem is bad optical laser, you may have to say bye to the unit forever as the optical block is no longer available.  I once had the exact same problem with the CDP-X707ES and Sony couldn't repair them.  You may look into a lesser model with the same optical block for part though.

I hope Sony has parts for that unit. They did accept the repair order, otherwise they wouldn't right? It's going to Sony main repair center in TX. I hope they will fix it and not scratch my unit doing so.

I hope they can repair it too, but you have to keep in mind that the XA7ES is 15 years old and Sony is not like McIntosh or conrad-johnson when it comes to being able to repair their own gear that is 10, 15 or 20 years old.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #108 of 326

Quote:
Quote:

Don't have a high hope on this.  They did accept my X707ES for a repair as well only to have it sent back 2 weeks later with "optical laser reading block discontinued".  If I'm not mistaken, the KSS-273A was discontinued back in 2006 or 2007 or so.  Sony is not the greatest in term of coordination in updating their parts inventory.  They also came back to cancel my order when I ordered parts for the R10 as their inventory was not correct.  The only positive dealing with their Texas Service Center is that they were able to address my Sony Qualia 010 repair, but of course after nearly 6 months of waiting.  Also, don't use the original packaging box for shipment as it won't be returned back to you.

Quote:

I hope they can repair it too, but you have to keep in mind that the XA7ES is 15 years old and Sony is not like McIntosh or conrad-johnson when it comes to being able to repair their own gear that is 10, 15 or 20 years old.

That is the reason why I gave DjAmTrax a friendly reminder to check with Sony first to save on the frustration.  Three years ago, I had both the Sony CDP-X5000 and XA7ES at the same time, and after I found out that the optical block is no longer available, I decided to sell the unit.  I learnt my lesson on the X707ES, X5000ES, and XA7ES, and bought a spare laser assembly for my beloved SCD-777ES, have you done the same for your SCD-1?  It is rumored that the supply on KHS-180A is drying up fast.  Also, we need to be careful sourcing parts from China as I was out nearly $150 dealing with the seller there.  Partstore.com is likely the best place to buy parts from.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #109 of 326

Quote:

Don't have a high hope on this.  They did accept my X707ES for a repair as well only to have it sent back 2 weeks later with "optical laser reading block discontinued".  If I'm not mistaken, the KSS-273A was discontinued back in 2006 or 2007 or so.  Sony is not the greatest in term of coordination in updating their parts inventory.  They also came back to cancel my order when I ordered parts for the R10 as their inventory was not correct.  The only positive dealing with their Texas Service Center is that they were able to address my Sony Qualia 010 repair, but of course after nearly 6 months of waiting.  Also, don't use the original packaging box for shipment as it won't be returned back to you.

Quote:

That is the reason why I gave DjAmTrax a friendly reminder to check with Sony first to save on the frustration.  Three years ago, I had both the Sony CDP-X5000 and XA7ES at the same time, and after I found out that the optical block is no longer available, I decided to sell the unit.  I learnt my lesson on the X707ES, X5000ES, and XA7ES, and bought a spare laser assembly for my beloved SCD-777ES, have you done the same for your SCD-1?  It is rumored that the supply on KHS-180A is drying up fast.  Also, we need to be careful sourcing parts from China as I was out nearly $150 dealing with the seller there.  Partstore.com is likely the best place to buy parts from.

I have a spare laser assembly for the SCD-1, however, if it has to be replace it has to be calibrated and that is another bag of worms.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #110 of 326

Quote:

I have a spare laser assembly for the SCD-1, however, if it has to be replace it has to be calibrated and that is another bag of worms.

At least you own a stock unit.  Can you imagine their reaction seeing my Modwright Unit in for a optical laser replacement?  Speaking of it, do you have a spindle motor as well?

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #111 of 326
OMG!!!! UPS just picked up my XA7es!!!! Are you saying it may not be repaired and my original box will not be returned? What should I do!?

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #112 of 326

Quote:
OMG!!!! UPS just picked up my XA7es!!!! Are you saying it may not be repaired and my original box will not be returned? What should I do!?

See if you can get UPS to hold it at the local depot and go retrieve it yourself.

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #113 of 326

Quote:

So your XA7es needed a laser block and Sony said they don't have the parts to fix it and sent it back to you?

I asked UPS to bring the box back to me today. I hope they cone through.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #114 of 326

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

So your XA7es needed a laser block and Sony said they don't have the parts to fix it and sent it back to you?

I asked UPS to bring the box back to me today. I hope they cone through.

Not the XA7ES, but the X707ES.  If you do a search, you will see that the XA7ES laser assembly has been discontinued since 2007.  Unless, Sony was able to source different supply for the laser assembly I doubt that it will be available.  Honestly, I'll still send the unit it but don't keep your hope up.  The problem maybe something else beside the laser.  If they can't repair the unit, you will only loose out on the shipping cost.  FYI, Sony didn't charge the return shipping when they shipped the X707ES back to me.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #115 of 326
I got the unit back from UPS.  I think I'm gonna take it to my local repair shop and see what they would charge.  I am so glad you guys saved me from sending it to Sony.  I don't want them to trash my original box.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #116 of 326

Quote:
I got the unit back from UPS.  I think I'm gonna take it to my local repair shop and see what they would charge.  I am so glad you guys saved me from sending it to Sony.  I don't want them to trash my original box.

Nice job on getting the XA7ES back then.  Hope the problem is very simple and repairable.  Keep us posted!

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #117 of 326
I have the VSE Sony VP-9000ES Level 7 SACD Player with Uber Clock and have resently picked up the Sony SCD-1 also level 7 with Uber clock.Both are fully balanced and as Im selling the 9000ES (pending) am considering getting some balanced headphones to get the most out of the SCD-1.
While they are both set I did  a A/B test I would be happy with either player and can only say the 9000ES sounds a little lighter to the SCD-1,which is the prefered sound to me.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #118 of 326
Stump,

Seriously nice players there!.  I always curious about VSE modification but have never tried them out.  I'm a big fan of Modwright & Exemplar mods player.  Would you mind disclosing how much did you get the VSE SCD1 for?

Purk

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #119 of 326
I  had a very pleasant experience with Sony Service. Recently, one  of my  PCM-7010F digital audio tape  recorders failed to search time-code. I thought no way this 19 year old recorder could possibly be repaired. Wrong, Sony advised service was still available for it at a  flat rate of just $890.00. They fixed it; and, they sent if back to me with original packing double boxed. It works  great now, and no scratches either.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #120 of 326
Pulled the trigger on this. I would have gotten it sooner if UPS was opened for pick-ups on Saturdays.  Oh well, I have it now.  First impressions are the unit is not as heavy as I had imagined.  The disc tray feels cheap, not metal.  I guess I was comparing it to my Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es in terms of build quality.  The connections on the back looks like quality jacks.  No SACD sampler in the box. :frowning2: Unit tracks CDs & SACDs much faster than my other players.  Both unbalanced and balanced XLR are Live which I like.  I'm gonna give it some time to break-in before I make any conclusions on its sound quality.  Until then, some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back