Show us your Car!
Jun 1, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #211 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Haha. Well, HS in Vancouver are free if you go to the public ones, so that's good. The private ones cost similarly to yours, so no big difference. And they're still lit up at night too.
tongue.gif

EDIT: How do you like the Gigabeat? I'm thinking of getting the 20GB one.

Don't buy it! The user interface is hard to get used to, the controls are really sluggish, and the sound quality is a little tinny and not full-bodied. I bought mine because it was on sale at Best Buy and have regretted it ever since. My Zen Vision is much better imo, I also had some freezing problems with the hd on mine, don;t know if this is an isolated incident or one that encompasses the line. It does look nice though, that was one of the big selling points when I bought it, the brushed champagne face looks really nice.

Jun 1, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #212 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Don't buy it! The user interface is hard to get used to, the controls are really sluggish, and the sound quality is a little tinny and not full-bodied. I bought mine because it was on sale at Best Buy and have regretted it ever since. My Zen Vision is much better imo, I also had some freezing problems with the hd on mine, don;t know if this is an isolated incident or one that encompasses the line. It does look nice though, that was one of the big selling points when I bought it, the brushed champagne face looks really nice.

Alright, I've been warned off then! I guess I'll just have to save up for the iPod Video... or the new iPod slated to come out soon (hopefully)!

EDIT: What's the best way to connect your portable rig to the car stereo on the cheap? The Odyssey does not have a tape player, unfortunately. Radio transmitter?

Jun 1, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #213 of 505
Quote:

Alright, I've been warned off then! I guess I'll just have to save up for the iPod Video... or the new iPod slated to come out soon (hopefully)!

NOOOO, what have I done???? If you're going to save up anyway, buy a Zen Vision 30GB, you'll have one of the nicest, and best sounding/playing players on the block.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #214 of 505
Quote:

NOOOO, what have I done???? If you're going to save up anyway, buy a Zen Vision 30GB, you'll have one of the nicest, and best sounding/playing players on the block.

But the Zen is not compatible with iTunes or Mac OS X. Else I'd be all over it like white on rice.

Or Head-Fiers on Grado.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #215 of 505
Quote:

Tuition is not that bad there though, Punahou and Iolani here cost about $14k with books, for HS, it's rather ridiculous.

eek.gif
That's about how much college cost me with room and board, but after scholarships. Ouch.

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #216 of 505
Quote:

It works this way in Canada:

Step 1 - Turn 16, get Learner's Licence aka 'L'. Have to have supervisor (25+) when you drive. Limited to one passenger and one supervisor.

Step 2 - You can test for the Novice Licence after 12 months of the 'L' Licence. One non-family passenger, unlimited immediate family.

Step 3 - Test for unlimited full licence after 24 months of 'N' Licence. Unlimited passengers.

That's not how it works in all of Canada. When I turned 16 (almost 10 years ago...where did the time go!?) I got my Ontario Class 'G1' license, which means you can drive with an adult over 25 plus anyone else you'd like. Then after 1 year, or 8 months if you took drivers ed, you take your G2 road test. When (or if) you pass that you can drive alone, with as many people as you have seat belts in the car. That's where the difference is. I think it's kinda crappy that you can only have one 'non family' member in the car. After 1 year you take your G road test, which is your full license. Start to finish it's 20 months minimum 24 months maximum. I had my full G class at 17 years 8 months.

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #218 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
That's not how it works in all of Canada. When I turned 16 (almost 10 years ago...where did the time go!?) I got my Ontario Class 'G1' license, which means you can drive with an adult over 25 plus anyone else you'd like. Then after 1 year, or 8 months if you took drivers ed, you take your G2 road test. When (or if) you pass that you can drive alone, with as many people as you have seat belts in the car. That's where the difference is. I think it's kinda crappy that you can only have one 'non family' member in the car. After 1 year you take your G road test, which is your full license. Start to finish it's 20 months minimum 24 months maximum. I had my full G class at 17 years 8 months.

I live in Vancouver, BC. BC's Graduated Licensing Program is stricter than Ontario's. This means + suck for me, and +++ insurance fees.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #220 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiggins
I feel your pain...

Damn. I had a 1977 Spitfire...

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #221 of 505
Quote:

I live in Vancouver, BC. BC's Graduated Licensing Program is stricter than Ontario's. This means + suck for me, and +++ insurance fees.

Lol, here all the suckers here who are trying to get their license now don't even get real licenses. They have to driver between certain hours and have to have a permision slip by the parents to drive at night or get pulled over by the popo, haha suckas
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #222 of 505
For my old Renault 19 1.9D I just checked... 10000 € insurance per year ($12773), if I would have just made my license. And thats with a old 64 hp car worth maybe 500 €, if at all. Insane.

In Germany you can do the driving license with 17, but until you're 18 you have to drive with some adult or so... dunno, it's very new. In my days, that is 3 years ago, you were allowed to start the license with 17 1/2 and pass the test, but you could only start driving with 18, but that without limits. Unless there is an accident and it's your fault, or you drive to fast, ... (and get caught
biggrin.gif
Luckily I didn't cos I often drive around 20 km/h too fast) after 2 years you are free. Or else they can send you right back to driving school and increase the 2 years.

@Sovkiller: Nice car, though the guy from Top Gear had quite a few problems with it...

@shiggins: ouch...
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #223 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman19853
My Car: 1999 Ford SVT Contour #1701 / 2760

Yes I know... I'm a huge whore when it comes to my car
biggrin.gif

I had a regular 1996 Contour GL, same colour as yours (maybe.. mine was "Torreador Red Clearcoat Metallic"). I loved that car. I so much wanted to trade up to an SVT but it never happened. The '96 got totalled. I miss that car. But, on the other hand, it's not a great family car, and now I've got a family of 4. When I bought it, I was single guy.

-jar

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #225 of 505
It's a very sobering thing to realize that the dream car you've always wanted is about the same price as the Orpheus. Does that mean I have a really cheap car dream, or a really expensive headphone dream? Oh well!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/car/169513855.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back