Show me your Reef tank
Mar 4, 2007 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Dominat0r

Formerly known as HighLife
Well, i know a few of you out there love reef tanks as much as i, so here is your chance...let me see you tank. Please post what you have in lighting and filtration. Nano reefs , bif reef tanks...anything. Can even be freshwater (Love Oscars, Clown knife).

Here is my new tank, i had a 5 gallon for a few years, loved it to death. My friend wanted something really small for his office so he offered me a new 12G Aquapod for my tank. I felt bad removing everything from my 5 gallon, so i left it all in there. Since my bud runs a wholesaler of saltwater fish, once my tank cycles, ill have my choice to pick what i want.

Here is my new tank, mind you, only 3 days old. Water is holding good, nothing is really spiking.

Inhabitants:

2- Gold Coral Banded Shrimps (mated pair)
8-10 Turbos
1- Green Serpent Star
1- Sponge Crab with a purple sponge on back
1- Raiccordia (Florida)
1- Gold seamat
2- Green seamats

Conditions:

Temp = 77-78
NH3/4 = 0.0 mgl
PH = 8.0
Nitrite = <0.3 mgl
KH = 2.5
Salinity = 1.025
Nitrate = 6-9

p3041072customss8.jpg

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 61
Nice tank!
I've always wanted to try saltwater, but never did because of the maintenance. I travel a lot and can leave a freshwater tank alone for several days without too many worries. I currently tankless, sold my last setup before moving from Florida to New York. My last tank was a 90 gallon with corner overflows for a wet/dry filter. Had African Cichlids, those were some neat fish!

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 61
Very nice, one day I will set up a salt water aquarium. I am inclined to anemone with clown fish. But it will probably have to wait till I have a house. My condo is way to small to start another hobby in!
mad.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 61
great lookin tank! i like the setup a lot. will look great when it's done.

you're making me want to set up another tank (well, i always want another tank)! I've got four tanks, each a different FW ecosystem. I'll try to snap some pics this week.

what fish forums do you frequent?
aquariacentral is great - friendly community, tons of info
all my other bookmarks are on my other PC, let me know if you need any more recs

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great lookin tank! i like the setup a lot. will look great when it's done.

you're making me want to set up another tank (well, i always want another tank)! I've got four tanks, each a different FW ecosystem. I'll try to snap some pics this week.

what fish forums do you frequent?
aquariacentral is great - friendly community, tons of info
all my other bookmarks are on my other PC, let me know if you need any more recs

Right now just on Nano-reef and Reef Aquarium guide. Ill have to check out aquariacentral. Thanks for the info...

Here is a nicer shot...

p3041075customdw9.jpg

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 61
Wow that's so cool! I didn't know people did these...it looks great! But...no fish?

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that's so cool! I didn't know people did these...it looks great! But...no fish?

None yet, gotta wait alittle bit before i start with the fish. There are critters in there, few turbos, some red/blue legs. I have 2 gold shrimp in there, but they still hiding. I have just set this up, so the tank needs to cycle before i can add fish.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 61
I had no idea there were reefers on head-fi! I had to sell my tank last year because I went to college but I had a 75g RR for close to three years. I went on and still go to www.reefcentral.com a lot.

Equipment:
75g RR
EuroReef (forget the model)
2 250w RO III pendants 14k Phoenix
2 54w Actinic T5
1 Tunze Wavebox
1 Tunze 6100
MR-2 Calcium Reactor

And probably some other stuff that I forgot...

Here's a short history of my tank:
After doing my first good aquascape:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...G_copy-med.JPG

First conversion to barebottom:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...e_013_copy.JPG

A year or two after collecting some sps and some more fish, unfortunately those anthias either disappeared on me or jumped out
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...7_004_copy.JPG

After some serious growout:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...asklfjaskl.JPG

Shot of the top of my tank under actinics:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...7_003_copy.JPG

I really miss this tank and after I get settled down after college I plan to set up an even bigger tank. Bring on the questions! At least for me, this hobby was more addicting than headphones and even more expensive!

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 61
Highlife,

Nice tank by the way. Enjoy that 12g aquapod. I've got a 24g nanocube 8 hours away at home under my parents care with an anemone and my captive bred onyx clown. I could not be happier with it.

What are seamats? I've never heard of them. Are they polyps of some kind? Maybe similar to something like zooanthids? What kind of fish are you planning on putting in there? What kind of lighting do those aquapods come with stock? I custom ordered my 24g so that it came with a 70g pendant with a 14k phoenix bulb
blink.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jun41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Highlife,

Nice tank by the way. Enjoy that 12g aquapod. I've got a 24g nanocube 8 hours away at home under my parents care with an anemone and my captive bred onyx clown. I could not be happier with it.

What are seamats? I've never heard of them. Are they polyps of some kind? Maybe similar to something like zooanthids? What kind of fish are you planning on putting in there? What kind of lighting do those aquapods come with stock? I custom ordered my 24g so that it came with a 70g pendant with a 14k phoenix bulb
blink.gif

yep its a zoianthid.

For the lights, its all just stock...here is a clip i got from a aquapod review.

1-27W square pin Dual Daylight 6700°K/10000°K Daylight bulb
1-27W square pin Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm Actinic bulb
2-blue LED lights

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to lol after this one.
wink.gif

108596-1-reefer-madness.jpg

haha on the nano reef forums....my title is New Nano-Reefer addict.

Kinda got to say it like the 7Up commercial ....." Make 7......Up yours"

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 61
wow..awesome..after going to hawaii recently and going snorkeling i wanted to start a reef tank. could you tell me about the cost for a 12g setup versus the 75 g setup? it seems like a awesome hobby as i enjoyed keeping fancy goldfish and this seems like even more fun..about how many hours a week does it take to maintain the tank?

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 61
Wow, that is fantastic photography. Our flat has the balcony trench normally used for plants converted into a pond. It's not saltwater or even centered around reef pieces, but it does have a few dead corals in it
tongue.gif
My dad used to keep really huge aquariums with lots of corals, but got rid of them in favour of the balcony-pond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back