Shouldn't be hard to tell me what to get...
Feb 11, 2010 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

amarygma

New Head-Fier
Hi. I've been here a while but only swing by when pertinent
redface.gif

I currently rock an iriver H340 I've loved for geez... 5 years now I think.

I am on my second pair of Sennheiser PX100s. The first pair the headband wouldn't hold a size smaller than giant (loose), so I had them replaced.

I've had the current pair for about 4 years. They are dying.
frown.gif

The right ear gets buzzy if loud, cracks if it is something with too much bass. The foam covers abandoned me about 4 months ago. There are a couple of cracks in the cord that I gorgeously covered with electrical tape.
The last straw though is that the right ear is now detaching. I have it taped on. I had used a bunsen burner (I work in a lab) to try to glue them together, which worked for a short while but not when I go outside in the cold (I live in MN)

Oddly I prefer to use these than to use a pair of functioning cheaper headphones.
I listen to all kinds of music, and I just love the phones. But the time has come. looked into replacement, but it looks like on Amazon the price went up 8O. That makes my brain angry, to pay more for "older tech"

So, time to shop!
- Sounds as good or better/more realistic than my PX100s. I listen to all kinds of music.
- Open air- I wear them at work (the lab again) and like it when people can still talk to me. They have all adapted to this. However I use headphones so that they don't have to hear what I'm listening to. They are slightly hard of hearing though, so some noise leakage not a problem. Also I walk to and from my car a distance (yay campus parking) so I like to hear vehicles and not get hit.
- About or under 100 dollars. Preferably at the 70 or so mark, but I'm flexible. I will get the years out of it.
-Cute. I'm 27 and a girl. At least a modicum of style, please.
- No amp needed.
- Prefer on ear (surpa-aural?) to around the ear (circum-aural?), but if they're bigger then they just have to be that much cuter (and lighter) to not make me look like a weirdo. Suggest one of each I guess.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by amarygma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was considering the HD238s...

HD238s would be a very good choice for you by the sounds of it. I own a pair and would recommend them throughly

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 10
There really isn't that many open portable headphone that I know of. The HD238 looks like a good choice but I have never heard them. You could also look at lower end Grado phones, not sure how you feel about that style. Koss KSC75, Yuin G2A, Audio-Technica ATH-EM7 or really any clip on headphone. Clip on headphones will not isolate very well at all so you could still hear people fairly well.

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you think about getting the PX-100 II?

By the way there's nothing wrong with getting "old tech" headphones

Yeah, but I spent 40 dollars on my PX-100s .
Now I see them on Amazon for 65. Sorry, but ouch. That's over 150% the original price, so tough to swallow.

So I think I've got a solid choice in the 238s, from what I've read. So now just how long will it sit upon my wishlist before I suck it up and buy it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Yuin G2A are $50 and get great reviews for their SQ. To give a 2nd option for wearing them, order this cheap headphone, pull off the drivers and snap the G2A phones to the band so that you can increase the pressure against your ears. I've done that with my KSC-75 clip ons and I am about ready to get the G2A myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back