Should you color your DAC or your amp?
Aug 30, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #196 of 296
I’m was under the impression you didn’t know about the 16/44.1 streaming. Then I thought about it and guessed that you may and were talking about the budget steaming?

I’m not into streaming.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #197 of 296
I don't use either Apple's or Amazon's HD audio. The sound quality is no different, and it just gets converted to AAC when it gets sent to my bluetooth headphones so what's the point? HD audio is a placebo machine.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #198 of 296
Tidal is heavily promoting their Masters MQA processing which they claim is lossless. I'm in no position to test it but few have done just that by uploading their own (hidden test tones) "music" to put that claim to a test. To keep it short, it wasn't lossless and their own processing/compression was applied. What I have noticed that they seem to cheery pick material for their MQA Masters offering. Those are usually, remarkably well mastered recordings to begin with so I'm not sure what the deal is?
Ofcause they charge premium for that "privilege".

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #199 of 296
MQA is an excuse to wrap DRM and licensing fees around a lossy codec that is no better than MP3 (and perhaps even worse).

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #200 of 296
MQA is an excuse to wrap DRM and licensing fees around a lossy codec that is no better than MP3 (and perhaps even worse).
One of the reasons they loose subscribers to other platforms. Along with pretty harsh treatment of those who called them out on it. There's a ton of opinions on it. From agitated casual users like myself to sound engineers swearing by it (skin in the game perhaps). Nevertheless, it appears that from so called artist friendly platform they're slowly moving towards making a quick buck. I don't want to open another can of worms so I'll leave it at that.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #201 of 296
I don't use either Apple's or Amazon's HD audio. The sound quality is no different, and it just gets converted to AAC when it gets sent to my bluetooth headphones so what's the point? HD audio is a placebo machine.
I actually hear the hi-res audio. I notice always when it’s a good recording? Even live recorded 24bit is noticeable to me? But this isn’t the place to open that can of worms. Again it depends how your listening volume level and the replay equipment.

What......your not even using Apple lossless. Your fully using Apple “AAC” and Bluetoothing it. How? Your never going to notice higher bit-rates that way. You should try and listen to hi-res again!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #202 of 296
So? 256kbps made into Bluetooth.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #203 of 296
You don’t hear inaudible frequencies and noise floors far below your normal room tone. You just think you do. And you know that you’re just making it up, because if it was true, you’d be making an effort to prove it. You’re just looking for attention.

I’m afraid this silly routine bores me. Do you have anything else to say, or are you done?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #205 of 296
And an equalizer can be adjusted with precision. You're stuck with however the NOS DAC chooses to roll it off. Even the lousy iTunes equalizer can do a simple high end roll off. A treble control could do it. It isn't expensive.

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #206 of 296
I actually hear the hi-res audio. I notice always when it’s a good recording? Even live recorded 24bit is noticeable to me? But this isn’t the place to open that can of worms. Again it depends how your listening volume level and the replay equipment.
It's not a can of worms. An empty claim cannot just push psychological biases under the rug. Maybe you do notice differences. Maybe those differences are actually audio. Maybe they're even related to the audio format for a change, instead of difference in mastering or some inadequacies from playback settings/gear. And then again, maybe your impressions have nothing to do with the sonic impact of a hires format.
How could we(or you) know and trust that it is the case without controlled testing?

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #207 of 296
I totally agree. Last night I was listening to a new album in 48 kHz/24 bit and it seemed to have something? Something in the way that the space was separated and the lower midrange was presented. But of course I never heard it in 16/44.1....so what do I know. So many feel it’s placebo? Still it was one of the recent live recordings that was really special! So I’ll leave it at that, enjoyable, no matter what it was from? Of course I would like to think it was better than a standard bit-rate, but who knows?
It's not a can of worms. An empty claim cannot just push psychological biases under the rug. Maybe you do notice differences. Maybe those differences are actually audio. Maybe they're even related to the audio format for a change, instead of difference in mastering or some inadequacies from playback settings/gear. And then again, maybe your impressions have nothing to do with the sonic impact of a hires format.
How could we(or you) know and trust that it is the case without controlled testing?

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #208 of 296
I would actually like to know benefits of 24bit recordings other than dynamic range? On consumer end, not post production applications.

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #209 of 296
I would actually like to know benefits of 24bit recordings other than dynamic range? On consumer end, not post production applications.
None on the playback side, not even dynamic range as 16 bits has a dynamic range (96db) that already exceeds commercial recordings. The advantages of 24bit (and higher) are all on the productions side. Have a read of the OP on the 24bits myth exploded thread.

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #210 of 296
None on the playback side, not even dynamic range as 16 bits has a dynamic range (96db) that already exceeds commercial recordings. The advantages of 24bit (and higher) are all on the productions side. Have a read of the OP on the 24bits myth exploded thread.
Thanks. That's really all I needed to know. I do remember however, 24bit HDCDs back in the day. Or whatever name they have used at the time. Hype?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back