Should valve amps be left powered on?
Dec 4, 2005 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sti_boy

New Head-Fier
Specifically I have the X-Can v3 coming my way (hopefully early this week). I noticed that it does not have a power switch. When not in use, should the unit be "unplugged"? If so, this is a bit annoying, but I will do whatever it takes to prolong life of the amp.

Thanks
STi

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 20
toobs have a lifespan, shouldnt be left on unncessarily

they sound good when decently warmed up, i.e. for half an hour or so, but leaving them on forever doesnt make them sound any much better.. at the expense of tube lifespan, component overheating and and electricity bill :d

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 20
Yes, around half and hour should br enough to warm it up.

I wouldn't leave it on without a fan or air conditioner on especially in the tropical weather I lived in. It can get quite warm.

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Yes, around half and hour should br enough to warm it up.

I wouldn't leave it on without a fan or air conditioner on especially in the tropical weather I lived in. It can get quite warm.

I second that. When i burn headphones in with my VAL, i keep a fan on it constantly, else the chassis almost gets hot enough to scorch my audio ravck
eek.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 20
i'm pretty sure the x-can does NOT have provision for heater warmup before application of plate voltage, taking that into account...

imo, on/off cycles are FAR more destructive to a tube than constantly leaving them on.

first off, on/off cycles, especially in amps that apply full plate voltage applied before the heater reaches operating temperature encourages cathode stripping. secondly, a getter that is not warmed up is far less useful than a warm getter in absorbing loose gas molecules. thirdly, cathode poisoning due to leaving the tube on is far less likely to occur than you'd imagine it to - remember for some tubes (like the 5687 in the SLAM amps), the tube is barely running! contrast 30ma or so operating parameters vs 2amp peak capability!

as a guideline - if you listen everyday after you return home from work, leave the amp on while you're listening, and switch it off after you're done. if you listen only during the weekends, leave your amp on for the whole weekend.

just my $0.02.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: forgot to mention that the inrush current when a cold tube is switched on is also bad for the filaments - relate this to why bulbs fail most often at turn-on.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 20
I don't left my RP5.1 on if I'm not at home. It gets freaking hot after 6-8 hours. Rudi has recommended not to keep it on over 8 hours straight (it's only recommendation though) but I haven't had any problems keeping it on longer times.

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I don't left my RP5.1 on if I'm not at home. It gets freaking hot after 6-8 hours. Rudi has recommended not to keep it on over 8 hours straight (it's only recommendation though) but I haven't had any problems keeping it on longer times.

actually, i would strictly follow the manufacturer's recommendations. iirc, the rp5.1 has tubes enclosed within the amp - if the amp is hot, imagine how hot the tubes are! not only are you killing your tubes, but any electrolytic capacitors within the amp as well. in an extreme case, resistors may drift from their specified tolerances too, and if your amp has a narrow bias parameter...
eek.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 20
Thanks for all the advice!

I am getting very anxious about trying out my rig...

Dec 5, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 20
in a normal pre-amp for speakers, e88cc(like those in mf v3) lasts probably 5000 hours whereas power tubes run for abt 3000 hours before the performance goes way off.

in such an enclosed environment, component performance like resistors/capacitors dont really function linearly under extreme heat.. tubes like heat but not everything else doesnt..

if only the v3 had the toobs poking out of the amp casing or something it would definitely be better, and looks much better too! some nice little glow when listening in dim environments.. keeps you warm in winter as well heh

Dec 5, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 20
i just keep my PPX3 Slam on whenever i think there is any vague chance i'll listen to music. on weekends, for instance, i usually turn it on when i wake up and turn it off when i go to bed. i don't like the idea of keeping tube amps on when i'm not home or when i'm asleep.

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 20
MF in Sweden also recomend that it should be turned on all the time. My X-CAN has ben on since i bougth it in 1998, and my X-CAN V3 since okt 2005. The reison is the same as "adhoc" is taking about, tubes taking more damage when turning on/off.

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 20
Firstly MF don't "recommend" that the amp be left on indefinitely they say "The X-CAN V3 has been designed so that it may be left on indefinitely"

So, they are not suggesting it "must" be left on indefinitely they are simply saying it "may" be left on indefinitely if so desired.

I know people who have had their V2's running powered up continuously for years without problems though you have to realise that "heat" is the biggest enemy inside the V2 and heat is only produced when the amp is switched "on".

The valves don't get too hot but my god the transistors certainly do and the ambient temperature inside the V2 is pretty high indeed. Consider that the stock Jamicon general purpose 85c caps have a lifetime of 1000hrs at maximum operating temperature, have a read of this, and then ask yourself if it's good policy to leave the amp powered up (warm) 24/7 365.

It's a fine balancing act between keeping the amp on all the time to preserve valve life or switching it off when your not using it to preserve the in tolerance lifespan of the capacitors.

My advice, if you're considering leaving the amp on all the time, would be to replace all of the capacitors with Panasonic FM 105C varieties. You don't have to replace the 85c caps but they will go out of spec a lot faster than 105C types in this particular application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back