Should valve amps be left powered on?
Dec 6, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #17 of 20
The forum board's under servicing something, thus the many duplicate post around.

I have left the Xcan on for a week at most, I honestly cannot tell the difference between warming it up for one hour or 1 week, that is with EH tubes.

Since I fit in the aluminium heatsink, it runs significantly cooler. Previously, under the fan it gets warm but no the warmth is quite faint
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i just keep my PPX3 Slam on whenever i think there is any vague chance i'll listen to music. on weekends, for instance, i usually turn it on when i wake up and turn it off when i go to bed. i don't like the idea of keeping tube amps on when i'm not home or when i'm asleep.

Same here!

I keep my Raptor on whenever I am at home and up (not sleeping). even if there is a remote chance of myself listening then I will leave her on.
If not then she turns off, like if I am leaving for work or going out.

To me its not the tube life I worry about its more of wasting energy or running up the bill, I mean why would I leave a amp on if I am 30 miles away and I wont be back for awhile.
I also fall asleep with my Raptor on all the time, I get up in the middle of the night (or day, pending on what time I fell asleep..hehe) and I get up and shut her off then go back to bed.

I am the same way with my Dodd speaker amps, even though they have a mute/full power to tube switch I still use the same process for them.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #19 of 20
heh i fall asleep with headphones on as well, which is really odd. A TV can keep me awake, but after a long day of work listening to some gentle music.. im out like a lite. I just get swept into the music and so relaxed.

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
actually, i would strictly follow the manufacturer's recommendations. iirc, the rp5.1 has tubes enclosed within the amp - if the amp is hot, imagine how hot the tubes are! not only are you killing your tubes, but any electrolytic capacitors within the amp as well. in an extreme case, resistors may drift from their specified tolerances too, and if your amp has a narrow bias parameter...
eek.gif

Of course I try to follow the recommendations but sometimes I like switch it on on morning and keep it on whole day. Like 10 hours straight. Maybe I should turn it off when I'm watching TV or something.
rolleyes.gif

It sure gets hot when the tubes are inside but I've seen (and touched) even hotter tubeamps so I think it's totally normal that it heats up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back