Should the Zana Deux/ZDT be on my shortlist for HP-1000 (I still need help on an amp).
Dec 5, 2009 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

champ

Head-Fier
My apologies if you are already familiar with some of my posts tailored to help me find an amp to make my HP2 really shine. I have a very small shortlist of possible amps I can aim for--most are nearly unobtainable, but I haven't decided which one I will patiently pursue.

Can anyone tell me will the Zana Deux or ZDT drive the HP-1000 well?...I mean really bring out their full potential. Please let me know only if you have actually heard the EC amps with the vintage Joe Grado--NOT the John Grado phones.

I am having a hard time with this since a lot of posts say such and such an amp "works great with Grados" but my understanding is that although all Grados are low impedence, the HP-1000 are harder to drive because they also need more current. What may work with current Grados won't necessarily work well with the vintage ones.

So far on the shortlist are: EAR HP4, Yamamoto HA-02, Melos SHA-1/Gold, Moth S2A3, Berning MicroZotl (I was 4th in line for the one on Audiogon today), and now I am wondering if an Eddie Current should be on the list. If HP-1000 owners have other recommendations that would be great too.

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 8
Since you’re in Canada and it may be difficult to get to a meet, suggest you email or speak directly with Craig. Otherwise you’re in a position of relying on a subjective opinion, even if you find someone that has heard the HP-1000 with the amps under consideration.

See HeadphoneAddict’s post #138 concerning HE-5's Quote:

My Eddie Current ZDT amp takes all my cans to new heights…

My own subjective opinion is that I agree with his post, and that my ZDT noticeably elevated the sound quality in low impedence phones over that of my ZD - though the OTL ZD is noted as being exemplary with low impedance phones. My ZD did not have the hi/low impedance switch and my ZDT does have the partial silver transformer option. But anyway yes, they should be at the top of your shortlist.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes. I have a Zana Deux and the HP-2. The combination is sublime and I give an unqualified recommendation for the Zana with any headphones save the K-1000. The K-1000 sounds good, but only reaches its full potential with more power.

I haven't heard the ZDT, so I can't give an opinion. What makes the standard Zana special to me is that it is an OTL amp with low output impedance. To my knowledge, no other commercially available OTL gives you that. So if you want the sound of an OTL and want it to work with low impedance headphones, the standard Zana is the only way to go. Any other tube amp has to be transformer coupled. I love output transformers, too, but the Zana is unique in this regard.

The Moth Si2A3 also does a wonderful job with the HP-2. The problem is that they're tough to come by. I think only 150 or so were manufactured and they're not easy to pry away from owners. It took me over a year to find one including a near miss and a false start. If you know of one for sale, grab it ASAP. The 2A3 tube is one of my favorites and seems ideally suited to headphones, but precious few headphone amps use it.

You might want to add Donald North's Sonett to your list. It is a terrific transformer-coupled amp using the excellent 6H30. Again, the 6H30 is a terrific tube for headphones but very few employ it. Best of all, though, the Sonett is in production, the price is excellent and Donald is a great guy and a good friend to make. Just like Craig, for that matter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 8
The amp is well-balanced across the frequency spectrum, tonaly neutral, very detailed, very quiet and very transparent. It also has a lot of power out (but not as much as these tubes are capable of). It will drive low impedance headphones well. My only caution would be the sensitivity of your headphones. Maybe there will be a gain issue? Talk with Craig.

This is not my favorite headphone, but I did use it with the ZDT and far preferred the new Audeze LDS-2. Why? because the rig was so transparent with the HD phones that what I heard didn't sound like music and it was not easy for me to listen to. Some people love this ultra-transparency. I very much enjoyed the ZDT. You should ask Craig if the driver stage is such that you can "color it up a bit using a cooler or warmer 12AX7 type. The use of a single 12AX7 in front of those monster output tubes is unusual, I think.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the great responses--this really helps. I am excited to know the Eddie Current amps have the thumbs up so now I don't have to hold out for a rare and/or used amp indefinitely before I can hear my headphones.

Uncle Erik, thanks for introducing the DNA Sonett--I have never heard of it before. I did some reading around the forums and it definitely sound like a real winner.

As recommended I am going to contact Craig this week and get his advice on whether to go with the Zana Deux or ZDT. I have always liked what I've read about the ZD not to mention it is a beautiful looking amp, but I also have some rare and well regarded 5751s ready for rolling the ZDT. I hope I am not too late to make the January production list.

The Sonett is at the top of the wishlist as I see nobody here stops at just one amp
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Yes, the ZDT and HP-1000 are a great match/combo/setup and I have enjoyed Blutarsky's HP-1000 with his ZDT a few times. They sound good via the 4-pin XLR and the 1/4" jack with an adapter.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 8
Fabulous. I must have read a billion posts and couldn't decide between the Zana Deux and ZDT. More people have the Zana so it there were a lot more comments about it, but no very many have both the HP-1000 and Zana/ZDT.

I talked to Craig a couple times this week. Super nice guy--took the time to explain things in detail (and I'm such a newbie). It's not possible for me to go to meets and I have very little experience with good audio equipment so reading, asking for advice and talking to someone is really helpful. Craig thinks the ZDT will be best for my HP2. Of course the Balancing Act would be best, but it is not in my price range.

Thanks for everyone's input. I put a deposit down for a ZDT today.
biggrin.gif
I also went for the upgrade to get partial silver transformers.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by champ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fabulous. I must have read a billion posts and couldn't decide between the Zana Deux and ZDT. More people have the Zana so it there were a lot more comments about it, but no very many have both the HP-1000 and Zana/ZDT.

I talked to Craig a couple times this week. Super nice guy--took the time to explain things in detail (and I'm such a newbie). It's not possible for me to go to meets and I have very little experience with good audio equipment so reading, asking for advice and talking to someone is really helpful. Craig thinks the ZDT will be best for my HP2. Of course the Balancing Act would be best, but it is not in my price range.

Thanks for everyone's input. I put a deposit down for a ZDT today.
biggrin.gif
I also went for the upgrade to get partial silver transformers.

I forgot to mention that I too have a ZDT and it sounds great with all my dynamic headphones. It's just that I sold my HP-2 to Blutarsky summer 2008, back when he still had a regular ZD (then upgraded to ZDT), and so I can only listen to HP-1000 at his house when I visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back