Should the PC volume controls be automatically disabled when using my USB-DAC?
Jun 11, 2009 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
Just something a friend pointed out recently: That I'm still able to control my PC volume via foobar and via the taskbar volume control (only using the Wave slider though) even though the USB DAC is already connected to the PC.

My listening chain is currently: PC ---> DAC ---> AMP ---> DT770's

According to my friend, all volume controls in the PC should be automatically disabled once the USB DAC is connected to it.

What should be the deal here?
confused.gif
Thanks!

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, but should be set to max and you should use ASIO (WinXP) or WASAPI (Vista)

Great! Thanks.

Any reason why it should be set to max, btw?

Also, how do you use ASIO on WinXP? (Googling it right now, but also decided that I should ask)

I use foobar on Windows XP
smily_headphones1.gif
Just in case that info helps

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 11
Did I do the right thing here?

1) Downloaded ASIO4ALL_2_9_English.exe and foo_out_asio

2) Intalled ASIO4ALL and selected the USB DAC as the output device (there's an "X" because I'm currently listening using it on foobar)

asio4all.jpg

3) Copied foo_out_asio.dll to the foobar components directory and set it up this way:

fooasio0.jpg

fooasio1.jpg

fooasio2.jpg

(this is the window that appears when I click "Configure")
fooasio3.jpg

4) Restarted foobar just in case it needs a restart to take effect

If anyone has corrections/clarifications on what I did, please do say so.

If anyone has additional tips for optimal production of sound through my listening chain please opine as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I'll just continue listening to see if there really is any significant difference.

BTW: After doing all of this, I couldn't control the volume totally via Windows Volume Control anymore but I'm still able to control it via foobar. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

BTW: After doing all of this, I couldn't control the volume totally via Windows Volume Control anymore but I'm still able to control it via foobar. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Yes...PC volume is disabled...Foobar volume at 100 and control it via amp. You might have to play with the buffer length in Foobar. I settled on 580 and works great.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 11
in my experience using ASIO i found that in the windows volume control, the "wave" volume control is bypassed but the "master" volume control still works, is that what you guys have?

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I do the right thing here?

Thanks!

Thanks lastdodobird for taking the time to upload the images. I've been using this setup for a while and had the same questions. Now at least I feel that i do have it set up properly.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 11
What issues would you see with a lower bitrate? Where is this setting?

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 11
note that this can vary with the o/s and with the dac chip.

even how its configured!

when I tried the gamma1 dac, I think in spdif mode (from usb chip to spdif chip then to dac chip) it did its own local vol control (which I didn't want).

then when I enabled i2s as the 'interconnect' between the boards, I think (IIRC) that vol control stopped working. I think what happened is the i2s stream forces an 'ignore' of the usb vol control messages.

right now with linux, I use a usb-spdif converter (gamma1 lite) and no matter WHAT I do in linux, the volume is always the same (which is good!). I can't NOT have 100% audio anymore, even if I set the level to 0%, the wave comes thru unchanged.

when your vol control breaks, rejoice (I'm serious)
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back