Should I?
Feb 10, 2008 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

-=Germania=-

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok,

I know that this may sound a bit crazy to a few of you....
I am considering selling my SR-80's, im716's, and maybe my AT-701's to buy a set of the SuperFreq's.

The im716's are great, but ever since I had ear surgery it is hard to get and maintain a good seal. This was not an issue before.

The other thing is that I think that I could be satisfied using mostly my ES7's and the iem's.

What do you guys think?

*Also, my budget is non-existant right now so "saving" isn't really an option.*

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 23
If you enjoy your iM716s though, why not try and settle for something for the foamies?

If the larger ones are uncomfortable, there's always the smaller ones as well.
You've got the Westone Complys and Shure Black Olives to choose from too
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 23
Only sell the AT-701 if someone's willing to give you what they're worth. I get the feeling that their market value is well below their performance, so it might not make sense to sell them.

But generally, it always makes sense to get your headphone collection to closely cover your real listening habits, so if the SR-80 and im716 don't do this anymore and the SuperFreq would, then by all means make the switch.

edit- while I was typing, Zephyron made a good point about the possibility of using other tips on the im716. How bad is your upgraditis, Germania? With as you say a nonexistent budget, the SuperFreqs might be an unnecessary expense at the moment if different tips could tide you over on the im716

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 23
Well, Foam tips have always bothered me to the point that I just cannot stand them.

For IEM's I have always liked the shure clear flex because the stiffness and ust the ability to get a seal before. The soft sleeves never seem to work for me.

The AT-701's are the best classical/acoustic/vocal cans I have heard outside the k501's (r10's and Baby Orpheus). The 501's I feel are less involving and I just don't get that heart sinking feeling like I do with these.

OMG - why was I ever considering selling these!!!!!

The getting rid of the SR-80's and im716's is a definate possibility though. I find myself just enjoying the ES7's so much more than the sr-80's and getting not much time with the im716.

My other worry is that I wont get very much for the im716's - which are awesome.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 23
Shameless plug-
Interested in trading IM716s for Mylarone X3s? They aren't nearly as dependent on seal as the im716s or etys. I can do flat trade or I can add some cash.

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 23
Sorry, not really interested in trading.

The question for me is whether or not to get custom IEM's.

BTW: I should state that the reason that the seal doesn't work very well is because I had middle ear surgery, so I have a incision line that goes all the way down my ear canal.

The foams are bad because they can cause painful pressure on that wounded area. Plus, they can get shoved in and cause pressure issues on my ear drum and get tugged out (which is really bad). I had the surgery at the beginning of Sept. '07, but apparently I will continue to have that same issue.

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 23
Because of your ear condition, maybe you should shy away from IEMs for the moment; and sorry about that.

Custom IEMs may have the suction action when removing them too, so you have to think carefully on buying those. Why not just go with full headphones (closed) or so?

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 23
You may actually be right on that. I didn't think that custom iem's would have the same suction issues that standard tips do.

Well.... if there is anyone who has a set of ESW9's and would be willing to trade them for ES7's+Sr80+im716.....

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 23
You would not want custom IEM's if you have problems with te suction effect. My superfreq's are very comfortable, but I find that they make your ear feel very "full" and create a decent amount of pressure.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may actually be right on that. I didn't think that custom iem's would have the same suction issues that standard tips do.

Well.... if there is anyone who has a set of ESW9's and would be willing to trade them for ES7's+Sr80+im716.....

With all the considerations in effect here, I think you're dead on to lean toward the EW9. Should be as good a fit for your needs as there is.

edit-- looking up some reviews, I wonder if the EW9 is really a step up from the ES7. Some love them, others (including Wmcmanus) don't like them much at all. How about the JVC HP-AL1000 on Audiocubes? I've often wondered about them, and there's one (and only one) glowing review on head-fi. Pretty good-looking, cheaper than the ATs, and the chance to be the intrepid explorer taking one for the team.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can easily take off the laquer using some thinner....

And likely some of the plastic underneath, too.

I have a cataract in one eye now that is keeping me from seeing well--and I keep telling myself that I just have to live with it until the lens replacement surgery makes sense (it doesn't right now due to risk factors.)

Likewise, if you are feeling discomfort from anything in your ear, just use on-ear cans for a few months and promise yourself that you will re-evaluate the situation then....it's not worth harming your ears, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back