Should I use my HTC One as a source or buy a new one?
Aug 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

BucketInABucket

Headphoneus Supremus
I have not used any really decent sources (apart from the HiSoundAudio Nova N1 and Sansa Clip+) so I have no idea what I should do. I have heard fairly good things about the sound quality of the HTC One though but I would appreciate any help :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 33
Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip, with the "Rockbox" firmware.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 33
I've heard bad things about the audio jack of the Clip being crap though, is it true or just a rumor?

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:
I've heard bad things about the audio jack of the Clip being crap though, is it true or just a rumor?

I personally did not have a jack problem with my Clip Zip.
You might try asking about the Clip Zip at anythingbitipod.

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:
I personally did not have a jack problem with my Clip Zip.
You might try asking about the Clip Zip at anythingbitipod.

just don't tell the anythingbutipod guys your here at head fi -.- they seem to hate us, and treat us all like morons 

that being said, I also second the Clip Zip 

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 33
In that case I'll buy the clip zip and rockbox it at a later time then :D thank for the help!

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 33
I use my HTC One as my source in my setup even though I'm using high end headphones like Sennheiser HD700 and Beyerdynamic T90 and amps like Woo Audio WA7. Now of course this all for desktop setup and I find connecting the HTC One to a USB DAC via the USB OTG cable to work wonders. This allows me to bypass the DAC on the HTC One. If you're looking for a portable solution, you could do the same with a Fiio device like the E17, but if you really only want a single source to headphones device, I find the HTC One to be pretty decent. Just make sure the headphones are low impedance and high sensitivity. If you're gonna carry a phone and a music player device around, why not just your phone and a Fiio? Also if you go with the HTC One, be sure to get a decent music player app.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 33
What music app do you recommend? :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 33
Poweramp if you want great playback with great UI. Neutron Music Player if you want the best playback but poor UI. I personally couldn't stand Neutron player so I went with Poweramp. Both have a free trial for you to test out before costing $4 or $5. You may or may not notice a difference compared to the stock music player depending on your headphones. Back when I had the M50 plugged directly into the phone, I couldn't hear a difference that would justify buying either app, but the difference is quite clear with my current setup.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 33
For my morning wander into the office, I use either sennheiser momentums or klipsch s4a's plugged directly into the HTC One. I'm pretty happy about the sound quality, so it's worth trying first before spending more money. I would hate to have to carry two devices, so I'm glad it works well enough for me.

I'm using Player Pro on the One by the way, which sounds good and has a decent UI

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 33
Get PowerAmp with Noozoxide. Will get a bit better SQ than just PowerAmp alone. Sansa is good value. Anyway I didn't like the SQ of my GS3 but instead of getting a DAP (my choice was the Fiio X3) I got the Fiio E17 instead so I can use it with my GS3 or my laptop.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 33
I currently have a pair of Monster Turbine Pro Golds that I plan to use with my portable set-up, what do you guys suggest I do? :3

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 33
are you looking for an AMP?

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 33
I'm wondering if I should use my HTC One or a Sansa Clip Zip as my source in addition to wanting a fairly cheap and cost-effective headphone amp :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 33
If you have only one source for music, I suggest a DAP (Sansa etc), if you have multiple music source (PC, tablet etc) better to go for a portable AMP/DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back