Should I upgrade to a newer CD player?
May 13, 2006 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stephen_Ri

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I have been using a 1984 Sony CDP-111 as a source for my setup, which is CDP>PA2V2>ATH-A500s. I've read here and elsewhere of the great improvements we've seen in CD players since the early days. This player is build like a tank and has a variable output; for those two reasons I like it. But I have not compared it to a more modern player. My question is this: would upgrading to a more recent "budget" dvd player, such as a Toshiba or Samsung <$100 (to name a popular ones) make a noticeable improvement, given my setup? I have no plans of upgrading my amp at all. I will probably upgrade my 'phones to Beyer DT250-250s or Sennheriser HD580s or AKG k501s. I realize that all this can be subjective, so I'm open to any of your thoughts. Especially from those of you who have actually listened to both modern and "vintage" CD players on headphones.

May 13, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 9
Speaking from personal experience, the difference in CD sound from my Harmon Kardon DVD 31 Player, an excellent $350 player, & a CD player, is night & day & I'm talking by optic connections too. I have a Vintage Pioneer Elite PD-59 CD player that on my system, I actually prefer its sound of the current Rotel RCDE-1072 CD player. The audio sound for DVD's from my DVD player (as well as picture) is excellent & I thought the sound for CD's was very good, too, until I bought my Pioneer CD player on Ebay. There is a huge difference in sound, CD's from the DVD player sound too bright, tinny & muddy compared to the CD player.
I at one time tried out a Sony 707ESD CD player that was around 15 years old, and even though it was highly rated, the sound, sounded dead compared to the Pioneer.

May 13, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 9
I've heard a few DVD players that sounded pretty good. Personally, I like some of the new Samsung line.

They have DVD players that are region free (a huge plus) and play Redbook CDs as well as SACD and DVD-A. If you don't like the sound of CDs on it, you'll still have a good DVD player as well as a SACD/DVD-A player. Your CDP-111 can't play those, so you'll end up better off regardless.

May 13, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I've heard a few DVD players that sounded pretty good. Personally, I like some of the new Samsung line.

They have DVD players that are region free (a huge plus) and play Redbook CDs as well as SACD and DVD-A. If you don't like the sound of CDs on it, you'll still have a good DVD player as well as a SACD/DVD-A player. Your CDP-111 can't play those, so you'll end up better off regardless.

Are these the ones that are in the $150-200 range? If so, do you know where they are available in Canada? Preferabley locally in the GTA? I want a sacd/dvd-a player that is also decent for the ocassioanl CD I might borrow or have, and decent for movies (hdmi possibly?) I was considering a denon 2200 or 2900 or pioneer av-45/47, but none of those have hdmi and they all are quite expensive compared to the samsungs.

Edit :: Ah, I can't find the samsung hd950 anywhere in Canada! Frusterating! Are tehre any players like it from other brands that might be easy to find (for example in bestbuy?) Maybe a pioneer or something?

May 13, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 9
I was interested in testing out SACD, so I bought a cheap player a few days ago.

It's the Pioneer DV-585 and cost me £79.95 (~ US$150.00 at the current exchange rate) - "burning in", as I type.

Initial impression is that it is a touch bright on Redbook.

I have not tried its DVD capability yet.

May 13, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambaud
I was interested in testing out SACD, so I bought a cheap player a few days ago.

It's the Pioneer DV-585 and cost me £79.95 (~ US$150.00 at the current exchange rate) - "burning in", as I type.

Initial impression is that it is a touch bright on Redbook.

I have not tried its DVD capability yet.

That is another option I think that is easier for me to get then the samsung, but I wonder how it compares to the samsung. It's a shame, I love the design of the samsung. Actually, I can't seem to find the pioneer either. Damn, it's hard to find these players in Canada.

May 13, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri
Hi guys. I have been using a 1984 Sony CDP-111 as a source for my setup, which is CDP>PA2V2>ATH-A500s. I've read here and elsewhere of the great improvements we've seen in CD players since the early days.

My Philips CD104 from 1984 sounds very much the same as my Denon DCD-685 from 2001 (in my system, to my ears etc). Sometimes I think the Denon just may sound a little bit brighter, but the difference is far from obvious. I probably should level the outputs with a voltmeter and then try again.

Regards,

L.

May 13, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello
My Philips CD104 from 1984 sounds very much the same as my Denon DCD-685 from 2001 (in my system, to my ears etc). Sometimes I think the Denon just may sound a little bit brighter, but the difference is far from obvious. I probably should level the outputs with a voltmeter and then try again.

Regards,

L.

I have much the same kind of experience both with different CD players and a DVD player to me there really is very little difference between the modest digital sources I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back