Should I upgrade the headphone or the amp?
Jul 29, 2002 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sTaTIx

100+ Head-Fier
Say, for instance, that I have a Creek OBH-11 and Grado SR-125 setup. Which upgrade would get me the biggest jump in quality: from the Creek to an MG Head OTL, or from the SR-125 to SR-325? Although I love classical, I also want to keep the dynamism and impact that's good for rock, which I'm afraid I would lose by going tube. So, how about it? Which upgrade path is right for me?

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 15
You don't lose punch or dynamics with good tube amps - unfortunately the MG Head isn't one of them. Don't try it with low impedance headphones, as the results are ugly.

Jul 29, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 15
Have you considering going the Sennheiser route? The HD580s or 600s are very well suited for classical, yet still good for rock. I also prefer classical, but also enjoy other genres, and find my HD580s perform very well. I also use a DIY tube amp (based on the EarMax) that gives a very smooth sound and great midrange...but it could perform better when it comes to reproducing the lower frequencies, but it is sufficient for my needs...Keep in mind that these observations are only directed at my tube amp, and not a generalization of all tube amps. They are all different. Many good SS amps are not capable of creating terrific bass, while some tube amps can produce astomishing bass that you can really feel.

If you decide to use a tube amp with the grados, make sure it can drive low impedance phones well...if I remember correctly, tube amps are better suited for high impedance phones...

Jul 29, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by markjia
If you decide to use a tube amp with the grados, make sure it can drive low impedance phones well...if I remember correctly, tube amps are better suited for high impedance phones...

Tubes have inherently high output impedances. There are a number of strategies that have been used to address this issue, which may actually be actually easier with headphones than speakers, since a low impedance headphone (32 ohm) is still higher impedance than a low impedance speaker (4 ohm). One technique is an output transformer. Some feel that these degrade the sound. Another is to run a bunch of tubes in parallel, reducing the aggregate impedance. A unique approach is Berning's Zero Hysteresis technology, which essentially acts as a transformer, but works at radio frequencies so it doesn't affect audio frequencies at all.

Jul 29, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 15
Weel, you know the saying... "Welcome to Head Fi! Sorry about your wallet." One of the other sayings could be, "Of two worthwhile upgrade paths, choose BOTH!".

The 125's are very nice cans that provide great punch and presence. But after having them a while, I too got upgrado-itis.

For a can that provides great detail, imaging, clarity, my choice was the Etymotic ER4. Still use the 125s every once in a while, but the Etys are the primary can in my (somewhat) limited collection.

For an amp that (from what many folks at this site have posted) seems to work well with a wide variety of headphones, why not try the META42? If you're handy with your hands and have some time, you could try the project yourself. Or, contract the job out to one of the DIY gurus that frequent this site (e.g., Tangent, Eric343, JMT, etc.). Because it's DIY, you can customize the amp to suit your needs and preferences. Could make it small and portable or larger and more suited to stationary listening (or, plan on acquiring two... one optimized for portable listening and one for use while powered from AC).

Reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=13970

and here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=13803

and more here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=14186

BTW: The META42 and Grados seem to be a well suited match.

Good luck!
Bruce

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 15
Concerning tubes and low impedance 'phones: I chose to mention the OTL instead of the DT version of the MG Head because the OTL version is supposed to be able to handle low impedance cans, or so that would be my understanding.

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 15
It's my understanding that the MG Head OTL is just the DT version plus an output transformerless mode. Since low impedance amps require output transformers (or some substitute), the MG Head operating in OTL mode is useless in this situation.

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 15
1. The MGH might be a major upgrade over the Creek for you, but that depends on taste; some prefer the sound of the Creek.

2. The 325s are certainly a notable upgrade over the 125s, but the character of the sound is similar. THEREFORE,

3. It could be good to keep the 125s and get new headphones with a different sound. Senn 600 (or 580 on a budget are almost the same sound) and ETYs, as suggested above, are natural choices for diversifying.

4. THEN, save for an amp trade-in (sorry again about your wallet).
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 15
With Grados I think you'd be much better off spending the money to get an RS series headphone. If you had the HD580, for instance, I would definitely have recommended getting a better amp than the Creek, but with the Grados a more expensive amp will not do a whole lot for the SR-125, certainly not as much as upgrading to the RS-2 or RS-1. In other words RS-1 + Creek is still better than SR-125 + the most expensive amp you could ever imagine. I hate the SR-325 and will never recommend it.

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 15
I suggest you order the Cha47 or Cmoy. Those two amps work magic with grado cans. From my Creek OBh-11 and Grado SR-225, they do not give a good match. The sound quality from my Sony D-303 sounds just as good as the SR-225 out of the creek. I don't hear much improvments.

Purk

Aug 1, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

If you get a DIY amp, i'd go for the meta42

Mine is coming soon. Can't wait!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back